• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Launches Kickstarter Campaign to Dub Emma: A Victorian Romance, Release Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Quote:
Now, of course, North America and Japan share a region code, and that creates endless headaches for Japanese producers. Japanese fans importing cheaper American Blu-rays ("reverse importing") was such a huge concern for anime producers that some of them nearly stopped allowing Blu-ray releases in North America. Luckily, another method of programming the discs was discovered that allowed them to lock out individual countries, not just an entire third of the Earth.

I know I ran into it when trying to play some discs in the Blu-Ray player at the local anime club -- it gave me a lockout screen saying the discs (Sentai's Place to Place and Outbreak Company) were only playable in the US and Canada. Of course, that Blu-Ray player is very much in the US, as am I, and those discs work fine on my player at home. Mysterious.

I've had problems with about a half-dozen Blu ray titles on a Panasonic Blu ray player I inherited. Most of them were Sentai titles (Vampire Hunter D OVA for one) but it also affected the original MS Gundam TV sets on Blu ray, too. Those discs NEVER gave me issues on my PS3 or computer's Blu ray drive.
They absolutely will NOT play on that Panasonic and it's Region A, too.
It has had issues with a number of other titles when it comes to playing extras. Ferris Bueller's Day Off gave it fits but played the main feature fine.
Weird... Then again, I have a DVDs that also give some players fits and depending on the age of your player it may also have problems with BD-R and DVD-R titles. Later models generally are fine with most discs...

It may be an issue with the Panasonic I have not having had a firmware update in years. It's possible the issue of keys may be linked in with firmware updates? Blu rays are very software-dependent and if the hardware isn't supported/updated anymore you be SOL down the line with later Blu rays.

That's something the home video websites always stressed. Always get a standalone BD/4K BD player that's firmware upgradable/connected to the Net because if not you're basically going to be stuck with a glorified upscale DVD player in a number of years.

The same Panasonic that's given me fits on a few anime titles has had little to no issues with most Hollywood titles aside from extras on a few feature films.
Later Gundam titles on Blu ray have not had the lockout issue/"This title is licensed for play on players from blah blah" that the first TV series Blu ray release did.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
Happy to hear and wish the best for this one.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
My suggestion is to tweet something like the following to as many people as you can: "http://kck.st/2xxqakA : This Victorian romance anime had a lousy Animax (Eng. dub for Asian market) dub years ago. Help give it a proper dub."

I tweeted that message to the the following Eng. dub VA: @tsunderica @LucienDodge @JoshGrelle @ericvale @VoiceOfVegeta @VoiceOfOBrien @samriegel @stephaniesheh @johnnyyongbosch @shepard_blake @austintindle @MattShipmanVO @BrittanyLaudaVO @BKarbowski @baugusbryson @jeannietirado @SkiniMini07 @plus3toogres @VOColleen @justinbriner @DavidMatranga1 @DaveTrosko @Rialisms @marchimark @CheramiLeigh @ToddHaberkorn @CliffordChapin @caitlinsvoice @AlexisTiptonVA @AboutElizabethM @TiaToony @LeahClarkVA @BrinaPalencia @lucilovesmic @ccarrollbeard.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:29 am Reply with quote
I find the timing on this to be rather perfect. I stated last week that Emma demands a dub, and now I see this article today. All I can say is I'm definitely contributing to this. : D
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
I’m finding zero evidence of this. There are only 3 BD region codes in the whole world. A, B, C, or all 3. If a BD says it is region A, then any player that was purchased in that region (all the Americas, Japan, some SE Asia, etc) can play it.

Blu-Ray coding by country has been confirmed in the past:

Quote:
Now, of course, North America and Japan share a region code, and that creates endless headaches for Japanese producers. Japanese fans importing cheaper American Blu-rays ("reverse importing") was such a huge concern for anime producers that some of them nearly stopped allowing Blu-ray releases in North America. Luckily, another method of programming the discs was discovered that allowed them to lock out individual countries, not just an entire third of the Earth.

I know I ran into it when trying to play some discs in the Blu-Ray player at the local anime club -- it gave me a lockout screen saying the discs (Sentai's Place to Place and Outbreak Company) were only playable in the US and Canada. Of course, that Blu-Ray player is very much in the US, as am I, and those discs work fine on my player at home. Mysterious.

Country coding can be implemented in software, whereas the region coding is a "hardware" block. Would be the simplest way of putting it, but in reality it's all really software.
It's just that the region coding part is part of the BD specifications themselves, while the country coding thing is something that a disc manufacturer can implement if they want to for some reason. It's probably simply implemented using java in the menus, the same way that some discs will show the menus in whatever language setting you have your bluray player set to automatically. It's possible for the java code to read various settings on your player and react accordingly, country code being one of them.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I’m finding zero evidence of this. There are only 3 BD region codes in the whole world. A, B, C, or all 3. If a BD says it is region A, then any player that was purchased in that region (all the Americas, Japan, some SE Asia, etc) can play it.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145385

PSR19 can control player region. It has been required to be set by licensors for the last several years. Some players however didn't implement the full specification. Some players, especially old ones barf on it entirely.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Sometimes the product packaging could get damaged while shipping or there is some technical issue with the disc that may very well have been beyond their control. Even with top-level quality control, things do get messed up at times, including delayed releases. Even when a licensor/distributor uses all the necessary channels to get streams or DVDs region-free, the Japanese rights holders and even country laws may still bar that.

However, as long as RS does what they can to fix/replace a product or refund the purchase, I think that is a good customer/consumer and distributor/vendor relationship. I don't think the "Aria" dub campaign pledges should have the same issues that Funi had with the "Escaflowne" re-dub campaign. That may be explained in part with Funi putting so much emphasis on simuldubs that a Kickstarter campaign doesn't the tier quality as planned or a home video release having multiple delays.

The only thing I really bought from RightStuf was an 8-episode uncut version of "Cyborg 009" (2001 version) and that was 8-years-ago next month or in November. I am also mostly a streaming person. However, the dedication RightStuf had for the "Aria" dub campaign, as well the dedication they are/will be doing for this and future dub campaigns is very commendable.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Just be warned that the blu ray is region A and won’t work on a European player.

I know, thanks =)
That's why I got myself an additional region A player from the States. Reading those last posts, that may have been the better decision anyways (I was simply too lazy to bother looking into region free players ...)

That KS seems to be going pretty well, doesn't it?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
My suggestion is to tweet something like the following to as many people as you can: "http://kck.st/2xxqakA : This Victorian romance anime had a lousy Animax (Eng. dub for Asian market) dub years ago. Help give it a proper dub."
I recommend that people not do this, because voice actors don't control casting decisions. Getting the word out in general isn't a bad idea, but spamming a bunch of VAs from Texas and California isn't going to accomplish much when the dub is being done in New York, as Shawne and the article have stated.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping to hear that Nozomi and Sunrise had worked out an English dub Kickstarter for After War Gundam X (and/or Turn-A Gundam), but especially the former. The blu-ray materials are already available for both now, so that production fee should be reduced. Gundam X seems really doable in that it's only 39 episodes, and all the Aria episodes together went well over that. (To be honest, I'm surprised a second Kickstarter is happening so soon, considering Aria is still in the works post-Season 1).

Those mid-to-late '90s Gundams sometimes feel the most accessible, and I'd love to see them be able to sit next to their popular contemporaries like G-Gundam, Gundam Wing, and 08th MS Team on equal terms. They feel like lost Toonami shows that should have had a dub, and having one would make them all the more accessible. I understand that there are various strategies and forces at work here, but I've just been hoping for them to get dubbed for some 18 years now, and it feels like a Kickstarter is the best chance they have at this point. Gundam X's gorgeous blu-ray materials just came out in Japan, which makes the timing even more hopeful for me. I gave a small donation and helped spread the word about Aria previously in hopes that Gundam X might have a chance to someday get its own English dub.

I realize that it was a long shot, though. But I guess what's more surprising to me is the second Nozomi Kickstarter wasn't for something more storied, like Space Adventure Cobra. (Granted, it was recently let go by Nozomi, so that might be the reason.)

I wish Nozomi/RightStuf luck with this endeavor anyway. I appreciate them giving new life to series like this, even if they're not something I'm immediately drawn to.

PS: I've done business with RightStuf for at least 10 years, and I've only had one problem during that time--a defective disc--which was resolved with a replacement in a rather smooth and courteous manner. So, I trust that they'll get the job done right with whatever they do. They care about their work.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Really would like a sketch tier. Repro Cels do not do it for me. Either create a tier with an original Mori-sensei sketch or make it an add-on and I'll drop some serious funds on this. Otherwise, lower tier it is.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I tweeted that message to the the following Eng. dub VA: @tsunderica @LucienDodge @JoshGrelle @ericvale @VoiceOfVegeta @VoiceOfOBrien @samriegel @stephaniesheh @johnnyyongbosch @shepard_blake @austintindle @MattShipmanVO @BrittanyLaudaVO @BKarbowski @baugusbryson @jeannietirado @SkiniMini07 @plus3toogres @VOColleen @justinbriner @DavidMatranga1 @DaveTrosko @Rialisms @marchimark @CheramiLeigh @ToddHaberkorn @CliffordChapin @caitlinsvoice @AlexisTiptonVA @AboutElizabethM @TiaToony @LeahClarkVA @BrinaPalencia @lucilovesmic @ccarrollbeard.

This dub is being cast in New York. Most of these actors are in Texas and L.A.
It'll be nice if we got some fresh talent anyway, especially if they can do authentic accents.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Really would like a sketch tier. Repro Cels do not do it for me. Either create a tier with an original Mori-sensei sketch or make it an add-on and I'll drop some serious funds on this. Otherwise, lower tier it is.

I'd love to do this but I don't know that Mori-sama would be interested in doing so at a price that would make the tier work. We will have sketch reproductions, but not original pieces. Remember, Mori-sama is doing some favors here. This is a kickstarter for the Anime, not the manga.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited for this campaign, I just backed the early riser Housemaid Deluxe tier, thank you so much for offering such great collectables for us fans! (Although I wish KS had notified me earlier before seeing the news here, I absolutely would have done the totebag tier if I could, any chance they could be an add on after the campaign ends? : )

I've been an Emma devotee since the original CMX manga release (and of course now own the beautiful Yen hardcovers), I own the soundtrack and basically have been asking everyone to watch the anime for a decade, so naturally I'm thrilled to help make a bluray release possible and encourage more people to fall in love with these wonderful characters and their meticulously recreated world. Especially Hakim, he's the best Very Happy

ETA: I just realised I haven't actually posted here for a decade, and my last post was in fact about the Emma dvds (and tricking my animation-averse mother into enjoying the show, haha). Love it. Cool
ElectroJane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I’d love to back this like I did Aria, but after the recent experience I had with them through their website, I’m not really comfortable giving rightstuf my money anymore. I mean, their customer service response was pretty much, “We can verify this situation wasn’t your fault, but we already charged you a fee and there’s nothing we can do about that.” Not cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6