• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Times Western Music Invaded Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:36 am Reply with quote
Trivia for Falling Down is that the Japanese single had a music video by I.G in the same style and re-using assets from the EotE OP.
No mention yet of Whisper of the Heart and County Roads. The original was never played, but it did have an Olivia Newton-John cover for the ED. Honorary mention to the reworked version of Sugar Baby Love from Snow Fairy Sugar.

Top Gun wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
The Ray Charles version of "I Can't Stop Loving You" was used at the end of the anime movie Metropolis.

Oh wow, how'd I forget that one? That scene was devastating.

My father had that song on a compilation in the car and it took me ages to figure out why I saw buildings collapsing in my head whenever it came on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
And of course, Gilbert and Sullivan showed up in Maison Ikkoku (as others have already mentioned)

No, not Gilbert and Sullivan, the Victorian writer and composer of comic operas. Gilbert O'Sullivan, the Irish-English singer-songwriter with early 1970s soft rock hits (who changed his first name to sound like the pair above.)

Another interesting "failed to get the license" example (but not OP or ED) is the use of Louis Armstrong "What a Wonderful Word" in episode 6 of Vandread. I think that one got replaced not only for the US release, but also the Japanese home video release. (The latter with a cover, the former with an entirely different song.)
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Not exactly my (or anyone's) favorite artist, but Maison Ikkoku had that one episode that used Gilbert O'Sullivan songs for the opening and ending, going back in the following episodes to the previous opening and ending. I'm pretty sure those songs didn't make non-Japanese releases.

The Viz DVD box sets I bought some time in the noughties did include both the Gilbert O'Sullivan songs on the episode that used them.

I've got the Viz DVD sets of MI, and mine does not have the Gilbert O'Sullivan openings or endings; the regular opening and closing themes were used, at least on the DVD I have.
IanKen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
There's also "Scarborough Fair" in WorldEnd, but it's not the Simon and Garfunkel version of the song.

I like it though, a nice cover.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:
And of course, Gilbert and Sullivan showed up in Maison Ikkoku (as others have already mentioned)

No, not Gilbert and Sullivan, the Victorian writer and composer of comic operas. Gilbert O'Sullivan, the Irish-English singer-songwriter with early 1970s soft rock hits (who changed his first name to sound like the pair above.)

I stand corrected.

Its been 30 years since I last watched Maison Ikkoku. Must rectify that one of these years.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
"For The Love of Life" by David Sylvian was the first ED for Monster. That's another one that didn't make it to Viz's English version (did Madman manage to license it?), at least not the vocals. Somehow they still used the music and made it an instrumental closing.

Then again, Monster's international releases ended up with all kinds of weird issues with the music besides this and "Be My Baby" and "Over the Rainbow," etc., like using the original OST background music, but shuffling it around to put pieces into other scenes from where they were heard originally. That's never seemed like it could be a licensing issue, since the tracks were still being used, just in different places. I think only Japan and Korea ended up retaining the original soundtrack, iirc.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
How about the OP from Black Heaven Cautionary Warning By the former guitarist of White Snake and Thin Lizzy as well as a bunch of other bands John Sykes.
Loved Ego proxy, ParaKiss, Eden of the East, Lain, Degaldo's in GSG was really cool I had never heard of them before that. Shiver is still a stalwart on my play list many good English songs used in anime to many to list. Glad others are listing many i had forgotten about.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:17 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I was sure that the use of one of the most famous rock-and-roll songs of all time, "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes, in the Monster episode of the same name would be at the top of the list. Somehow it didn't even make the cut.

"Be My Baby" has been one of the most evergreen compositions in the history of popular music. (It continues to earn royalties for Phil Spector as he sits in his jail cell serving 19 to life for murder.)

Perhaps Lynzee has only seen Viz's US release where the song is not used? There was no way in hell Viz could have afforded the R1 rights. It was replaced by elevator music, leaving Americans wondering why the episode has the title that it does.

That's a good one for sure. I remember when I rewatched Monster in English I was surprised when that episode came because I clearly remembered hearing "Be my baby" in the original version. Also, if I'm not mistaken, something similar happens again later on in the series with "Somewhere over the rainbow" (which was again replaced in the English version).
Anyway, I would also like to add David Sylvian's "for the love of life", Monster's hauntlingly beautiful ED (which was also, sadly, removed form the English version). Truly one of the best ED ever and very fitting to one of the best (if not the best) anime series ever. (oops, it was already mentioned a few posts above and I hadn't realised, my bad)
Oh, and more recently I'd also like to add that montage that appears at the beginning of A Silent Voice to the Who's My generation. Totally loved that scene
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd forgotten but Fractale had the song/poem Down by the Salley Gardens as the ED. There was a version in English and a version in Japanese, both sung by the same person, Hitomi Azuma. They're both really nice and fit the show.

When Marnie Was There also had an English ending song, but I believe it was written for the movie or something.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Honorary mention to the reworked version of Sugar Baby Love from Snow Fairy Sugar.

Oh man, I remember that. So catchy.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
The Ray Charles version of "I Can't Stop Loving You" was used at the end of the anime movie Metropolis.

Oh wow, how'd I forget that one? That scene was devastating.

That was one of the most beautiful and romantic movie scenes that I have ever scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4