• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal Game's English Release Delayed to Remove 'Intimacy Mode' from PS4 Versi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S0crates

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
I think the Western Sony division has to create an 18++ category, like Steam did, so this issue will be gone forever. People will second guess getting a PS5 now if the Japanese market is more fluid and free on PC than consoles. When you sell stuff like GTA then this shouldn't be an issue at all in my eyes, but we live in a strange timeline.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
I think the Western Sony division has to create
an 18++ category, like Steam did, so this issue will be gone forever. People will second guess getting a PS5 now if the Japanese market is more fluid and free on PC than consoles. When you sell stuff like GTA then this shouldn't be an issue at all in my eyes, but we live in a strange timeline.

That's what the 17+/ M rating is for but the ESRB ratings have never been properly enforced which is why most folks don't allow stuff like the AO rating. There's nothing preventing kids from fubbing dates and all.

It's been an issue since the ESRB was formed in response to stuff like MK and Night Trap. Take the original Halo for instance. Outside of the Flood, nothing in that game warranted an M and it was still an M.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
The thing is there is nothing in Senran Kagura that warrants an AO rating by the ESRB. Both GTAV and RDR by Rockstar for example have graphic depictions of sex, uncensored nudity, not even divulging into the absurd amount of realistic violence, and both were given M. GTAV more than anything should have AO slapped all over it's cover. If both of those games get M, then even a full uncensored version of anything Senran Kagura should not even be considered towards ESRB's AO the slightest in the least. The elephant in the room that no one at Sony wants to acknowledge is that GTAV and RDR were AAA titles that brought huge amounts of money and something like Senran Kagura is niche', so it gets picked on of course. If everyone was clamoring over Senran Kagura and it was set to bring a ridiculous amount of money things would be different.

I was fine with a few things altered with Senran Kagura. I've noticed the big things in both Peach Beach Splash and Estival Verses is that years of birth were removed. Honestly I was ok with that. Also ultimately the large censor clouds are atypical - and to be fair somewhat humorous - but I do wish even those would have been removed.

My thing with all of this is I feel it sets a very dangerous precedent for any current games. Some recent issues with licensing of music and such showed that relatively modern games, even going back to the PS3, can be retroactive changed to reflect lapses and updates to their licenses. While copyright and outright censorship are two different things if a publisher has the ability to be forced to retroactively remove music from titles then what is stopping a console developer to updating their censorship policies retroactively? I would say it's incredibly far fetched, but so were my thoughts of Sony ever actually forcing this sort of censorship on both Senran Kagura and games like Omega Labyrinth when GTAV is still allowed to exist as it does. At any point Sony could be like "Hey -publisher-, you have to apply an update patch to reflect our new policies." That could really ruin a lot of niche' titles.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
So essentially, Sony demanded a version of the game that would satisfy no one?

Fans of Senran Kagura don't want a censored product and aren't going to be offended by the Intimacy Mode.

Non-fans of Senran Kagura don't want any of the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Whether you’re a fan of the mechanic or not and, trust me, it’s easy to view it as juvenile and kinda sad, it’s still censorship. Censorship helps no one.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I would counter SOA argument by saying if you think this content is so objectionable, why does your parent company allow the release of the game on any play station unit. You are playing a very dangerous game by selectively policing one group of people while overlooking it for another.

Will this at least have an Asia release that is uncensored, id probably pick up that.
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
This sort of thing very rarely happened with Sony when Andrew House was with the company. Literally all this recent censoring and cancelling of Japanese games like this and OLZ have happened after he left the company.
Might be a coincidence but to me it seems House was making sure censoring didn;t happen often.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
I think the Western Sony division has to create an 18++ category, like Steam did, so this issue will be gone forever. People will second guess getting a PS5 now if the Japanese market is more fluid and free on PC than consoles. When you sell stuff like GTA then this shouldn't be an issue at all in my eyes, but we live in a strange timeline.
It isn't about age restrictions it is about censorship which is why the people that were against sexy games on Steam were furious when Valve made an age restriction system. Those people didn't want an age restriction system that would allow sexy games on Steam and what they wanted was for sexy games to be banned. Unfortunately this world has a lot of people in it who believe that they have the right to control what other people read, watch, and play.
Raoku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Really sucks for people who dont have a good enough computer for the steam version and can only get the Ps4 version because they want to play the game.(mainly referring to myself)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Even though I haven't played these games, I'm tempted to buy a Steam copy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
SakuraShimizu wrote:
Yet the PS4 version of Peach Beach Splash let’s you touch the girls while in their bikinis or any outfit you chose. Why bother? Rolling Eyes

It also had a mechanic that let you spray the girls with different color liquids.....which I don't think I need to explain what the colors of said liquid were suppose to simulate.

Spike Terra wrote:
Don't blame Xseed, blame Sony as the Steam version remains unchanged. Honestly I don't care about removing the feature, what I do care about is that this last minute bull crap is going to hurt Xseed's bottom line as I've seen people drop their pre orders in protest.

I find this curious considering that while this mode has more or less been around since probably Estival Versus it was never a big important element to the games in general. So if people are cancelling their preorders over this that says more about their habits than Sony's policies.

Spike Terra wrote:

Seriously Sony, you pulled this crap with Omega Labyrinth Z and I hope Nintendo learns from your mistakes and rakes in the ecchi game cash flow.

You mean the same Nintendo that's been involved in the editing of various games released on their systems even into the modern era?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Sometimes I think they are doing this to, in part, to appease to the politically-correct crowd.
This has nothing to do "PC" crowd and 100% to do with keeping their platform "family friendly". You know, despite having games about murdering hordes of other humans.

Wasn't that the quote they used when it came to not allowing cross-console play, when Nintendo, frigging Nintendo, allowed it?

And of course Nintendo allowed the western release of a spin off Senran Kagura game which was basically this feature turned to one hundred…
Estelle the White Mage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Considering DOAX3 never got released in the west with how popular that series was, I'm doubtful Sony will change their mind to uncensor this title...

Bought every Senran Kagura game up to this point (with the exception of the new Switch one since I don't own that console).
Will not be getting this one it seems. At least I saved myself $80.
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I find this curious considering that while this mode has more or less been around since probably Estival Versus it was never a big important element to the games in general. So if people are cancelling their preorders over this that says more about their habits than Sony's policies.

While I agree the feature was never that important (only used to get trophies) I'd say its more about the principle of being against censorship at all. You give an inch they take a mile as they say. It's a slippery slope and people are rightly angry about it.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much "I_Drive_DSM" said in the first paragraph is mostly true, as its a messed up double standard and very hypocritical, western titles get a free pass, while eastern titles don't, namely fanserviced Anime styled games for example. As it is, this "new policy" of Sony's that's going for is already going off the deep end.

Either way, while I don't play SK in general (other than Homura in Nitro+ Blasterz), I can understand people's thoughts on this, however. After OLZ's cancellation overseas, it was a matter of time that this BS policy of theirs spreaded later on, and its going to bite them back for Sony sooner or later, unless otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4