• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Goblin Slayer [2018-10-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not ever clear why we're taking this detour with these characters, save for it serving as a demonstration of how adventurers in this world can fail a quest in a way that doesn't lead to their horrific deaths.

Those 2 and their rat slaying quest were actually featured in a side story chapter in the light novels. White Fox likely animated it in place of the mini arc finale during the events of vol 1 in the novels and then skipped directly to the events of vol 2 next episode. A lot of people including me believes its because White Fox is planning to save the vol 1 finale as the anime's finale because spoiler[it actually has a feel good ending] and because its a mini arc that can stand on its own so it wont hurt to shuffle it.

Quote:
The story's insistence on not giving anyone names also frustratingly obfuscates if these two are meant to be characters who may recur later or simply a flavorful addition to an otherwise dull episode.

I know the feeling but since its loosely based on Dungeons & Dragons they wont have actual names.

Quote:
As with the horrors pointedly demonstrated in the first episode, this one seems to be pushing the idea that such events are commonplace in this world.

Thats because spoiler[it is].

Quote:
This episode feels like a collection of framing stories that would have been better used between more adventurous parts of episodes where more stuff actually happened. Putting them all together in this way just comes off like rote filler in a show that isn't running long enough to need it.

Well considering half of the episode is based on a side story I'm not too surprised if people think its filler but it was most likely done as a cool down episode in preparation for the next arc and Im sure you know that.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
chronium wrote:
I didn't like how they did the promotion interview scene. In the manga it was a slow build to the guy losing it, in the show the guy was a complete douche from the beginning.

I haven't read the manga yet, but that guy was a huge douche in his thoughts from the beginning in the LN.

Yeah in his thoughts he was a douche as well, but outwardly he was calm and collected until all the holes in his story was being poked then he just stopped pretending. They didn't even let the guy give his report of his last mission they just acted like he already said it. The show just rushed it. It could have ended up being a really interesting scene to watch.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I see they transitioned directly into the Water Town arc. Im almost certain theyre gonna save the spoiler[farm raid] for last which is also a good way to end the anime on but Im surprised they added scenes from the side story in vol 4 / Brand New Day manga instead of something from the main story instead.

P.S Its so much fun to see manga and LN readers complain about either skipping content or shuffling it to the end of the anime.

I find it interesting that it's only obvious that they are rearranging content 5 episodes into the anime. Though, it's pretty obvious that they aren't skipping the last arc of Volume 1 due to all of the foreshadowing. The short story is probably there to give the beginner adventurers some fleshing out, while they wouldn't have had any screen time otherwise.

IIRC, while there's some precedent for reshuffling content in LN adaptations (Shakugan no Shana S1 and Haruhi if only due to its Broadcast Order), it's been quite a while since I've seen an anime adaptation mess with the chronology so much. Rushing through or skipping content is much more common, at least recently.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Can we get whoever thought speaking... like... this... was fun... to anyone... involved... removed from... the industry?

Like, I already find it terrible in text but hearing it makes it even worse holy shit. Anyway this episode was bad I'm not sure why I haven't dropped this yet but I probably will next episode.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Can we get whoever thought speaking... like... this... was fun... to anyone... involved... removed from... the industry?

Like, I already find it terrible in text but hearing it makes it even worse holy shit. Anyway this episode was bad I'm not sure why I haven't dropped this yet but I probably will next episode.

Blame Kumo Kagyu then.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:30 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I know the feeling but since its loosely based on Dungeons & Dragons they wont have actual names.

Characters in Dungeons and Dragons have names. It's the Eye of Vecna, not the Eye of the Evil Lich.

I saw in another thread (or maybe it was earlier in this thread?) where someone mentioned an interview where apparently the author said that he was having a hard time coming up with a name for Goblin Slayer, so he eventually just decided to leave him nameless and go with that as a style. I don't completely hate the choice (though sometimes it is very cumbersome), but regardless, it's not something forced on him by the story being DnD inspired.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Characters in Dungeons and Dragons have names. It's the Eye of Vecna, not the Eye of the Evil Lich.

I saw in another thread (or maybe it was earlier in this thread?) where someone mentioned an interview where apparently the author said that he was having a hard time coming up with a name for Goblin Slayer, so he eventually just decided to leave him nameless and go with that as a style. I don't completely hate the choice (though sometimes it is very cumbersome), but regardless, it's not something forced on him by the story being DnD inspired.

To be honest Im basing that claim of them having no names from my memory of DnD cos I recall only ever playing the old DnD set from 1974 which belonged to my uncle when he was a kid and I dont recall the characters having names. As I grew older I lost interest and never bothered with it again to the point that I never realized how much it evolved through the decades

For your convenience heres the link to the youtube video containing the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sN0p3xsork

Kagyu states that he thought about giving them names but it didn't seem to fit and then he imagined the characters being played by someone on a table top game so he left them nameless so the fans could give their own names for the characters. He actually tried listing different names but they were all rejected cos none of them stuck out.

Its true that it wasnt forced on him by the story being loosely inspired by DnD but the idea was still influenced by table top games. Not necessarily DnD but thats often the closest comparison when it comes to GS.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
It's not like this is the first fantasy series where all of the characters were named by descriptive title rather than actual name. Maoyu did it a few years ago, and I believe that there are other LNs out there which have adopted this practice.

killjoy_the wrote:

See also Aiz Wallenstein from DanMachi, though she actually speaks more fluidly in the anime versions. Pretty sure I've heard that at least occasionally in other characters over the years, though usually not leads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skogga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 will be a recap.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
skogga wrote:
Episode 6 will be a recap.

Forgive me if I missed the joke or the sarcasm here but It wont be a recap. Itll be the start of the next big arc. The title for the next ep is a dead giveaway for anyone who reads the manga and/or the novels.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought in the light novel, GS couldn’t use fire / poison / flooding to kill the goblins bc it would mess up the city or poison their water supply - am I misremembering or did the anime just not explain that?

Also, there’s a good reason Sword Maiden is interested in GS and seeks out his help to be rid of the goblin problem (beyond just the fact that she can’t get anyone else to give the problem the attention and presumably financing it deserves) which I assume will be revealed in a couple episodes.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I thought in the light novel, GS couldn’t use fire / poison / flooding to kill the goblins bc it would mess up the city or poison their water supply - am I misremembering or did the anime just not explain that?
It was presented as High Elf's disgust, not as a practical restriction. Which is weird because they do call out that one of GS's other tactics would harm the city and had to be nixed.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
It was presented as High Elf's disgust, not as a practical restriction. Which is weird because they do call out that one of GS's other tactics would harm the city and had to be nixed.

You mean in the episode, right? I just looked back in the novel and it was definitely presented as a restriction bc they are in the sewers as opposed to a cave or abandoned ruins:

““No! Being in the sewers means we’ll be right below everyone who lives here. Get it?” She didn’t know why she was surprised. Orcbolg had been this way as long as she’d known him. Burning down fortresses, making people douse themselves in guts, killing goblins in the most terrible ways, drowning them, using human wave tactics… “No fire! No water! No poison gas! No entrails!””

This comes after Lizard Priest says their “usual tricks” won’t work bc they are in the city sewers.

I’m not sure why the anime writers made it seem so arbitrary or like High Elf is stupid or something ...
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The fact that he goes to the Elf, the Dwarf, and the Dragon when he first gets wind of a new goblin-slaying quest speaks volumes about how he's learning to value their companionship.

Small correction. he's a lizard. His name in the story is literally Lizard Priest and a dragon is what he aims to become.

Im surprised no mention was given about the Hero appearing.

jenthehen wrote:
You mean in the episode, right? I just looked back in the novel and it was definitely presented as a restriction bc they are in the sewers as opposed to a cave or abandoned ruins:

““No! Being in the sewers means we’ll be right below everyone who lives here. Get it?” She didn’t know why she was surprised. Orcbolg had been this way as long as she’d known him. Burning down fortresses, making people douse themselves in guts, killing goblins in the most terrible ways, drowning them, using human wave tactics… “No fire! No water! No poison gas! No entrails!””

This comes after Lizard Priest says their “usual tricks” won’t work bc they are in the city sewers.

I’m not sure why the anime writers made it seem so arbitrary or like High Elf is stupid or something ...

I noticed it wasnt properly explained too and the fact that the animators have removed a lot of comedic moments leading up to this episode. Believe it or not those comedic moments would have actually developed some of their characters especially GS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 25