• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Goblin Slayer [2018-10-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
NPC wrote:

Fred Lougee wrote:
Once again Christopher does not know what the heck he is on about, proving that he should really stick to reviewing BL titles or something.
Just ignore him. Reviews are subjective by nature. It's not like review makes you like show more or less.

That said, it is indeed strange that ANN people review shows they don't like even a little bit. Goblin Slayer is obviously one of (if not the) most popular shows of this autumn season. Which means there are lots of people who like the show. If they come to ANN to read review and read this crap it doesn't make them change opinion about the show, they change opinion about ANN.

Weekly reviewed shows are all voted on by readers at the beginning of the season, I believe. And a lot of people liking something does not make it good. A lot of people eat junk food.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Just to point out, there are really two valid reasons to read a review, or a criticism might be a better word:
a: to get an idea of its contents without watching it yourself, so you can for example decide whether or not to watch it yourself later, or
b: to get a perspective on a show that's not yours, so you can see and comprehend things that you didn't see yourself unassisted.

I guess there's a possible c:, too: to reiterate the experiences you got from watching a show through a method other than rewatching the show, which may not be time-practical and which won't give you the same experiences the second time around anyway.

If you're a big fan of the show, then:
+ a: is of no relevance to you, and
+ it's pretty likely that the points raised in b:, the stuff that you missed, are going to be negative elements rather than positive.

Which is fine, I think: I don't need there to be a link between "shows that I enjoy" and "shows that are low in flaws".

But if you're after c: and you don't want any negatives from b: or a:, if you only-and-solely want the positive buzz from the show without any problem areas being pointed out to you... you're not going to get that from professional criticism. Because that's not what professional criticism is. There is nothing wrong with wanting to relive the experience of watching a show, not in the slightest, I've done it myself a few times... but professional critics cannot and thus will not deliver that experience to you. Their task is a: and b:, not c:, or c: only secondarily to a: and b:. Because serving purpose c: means sacrificing a: and b:, and we need a:, for the audience who haven't yet watched, and we need b:, to guide creators.

c:... fans can do that by writing for each other, can't they? Like, absolutely you can do it: I'm sure the show was a positive experience for you that you want to relive and I don't want to stop you doing that... but don't demand that those of us who want a: and b: shouldn't be able to get it if it gets in the way of your vibe, don't demand that people never unrecommend a show or make critiques showing space for improvement.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
It was very obviously a conscious choice on the part of the staff and while I'm glad that you ended up enjoying it, for some of us expectations were a little higher than a brainless gory timewaster.

Hold on.

Why would you think of this as something other than what we got ?
Even the manga isn't any more "revolutionary" in its portrayal of events. The basic narrative structures between the two hardly change and the tone is fairly consistent as well which has me questioning if you were really here for something different or just to bash the show as a whole.

This question is virtually the same for the reviewer, it strikes me as odd that they constantly draw deeper meaning from something that quite clearly isn't and hasn't been trying to be deep or thoughtful to begin with.
Mavado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
C+ for the final episode? As far as I could see the reviewer didn't point out any actual problems with the final episode rather just saying he wished the series was doing things different. That results in a lower score?
That's typical. There's an infestation of reviewers who score things not based on its own merits but on whether or not it advances the reviewers politics.
NPC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
cut to make response more relevant

> The passage of time is enough of a plot point for it to be mentioned

What kind of argument is that? Something being mentioned in passing doesn't make it a plot point, effect on the plot makes it plot point. Otherwise every little sentence in LN suddenly becomes a "plot point." I see you dropped the "key plot point" claim. Progress.

> it affects more than just the fight with the goblin lord - it also heavily affects Goblin Slayer's mindset

It doesn't affect the fight in any way. GS didn't intend to win it "fairly", him not being in top form changes nothing. It was an ambush. He had Priestess with him but he easily could have his entire party instead. Heck, he could delegate the entire fight to someone else.

Mindset/mental journey thing just makes no sense - we are talking about fictional action character, his mindset exists for the sake of actions, not vice versa. Order switch doesn't create any inconsistencies in character development. Naturally you are not even trying to point out any real problem. Because they don't exist and trying to make them up would just inevitably look dumb.

> Also no, there are dozens of way to deliver such basic information as the passage of time

And we are not talking about passage of time. We are not even talking about something visible like wounds. We are talking about "GS was acutely aware that his skills had dulled." Go ahead and list the first 2-3 dozens of ways to deliver it naturally in anime.

> And while you're right in that the Water Town arc would make for a poor ending to a season ... For the first season, there was no reason for the anime to venture into the Water Town arc at all.

If they made season one volume one only, it would be radically different anime and you would find billion other faults in it. It is what it is though and it is what we were discussing. Keeping original order could be all the difference necessary between "we making the second season" and "it was a nice try, we will try harder next time." I am glad that we agree that volume 2 would be a poor ending. You conceded this point, switching discussion to other topic is pointless.

I will mention though that postponing volume 2 to season 2 means just kicking the can down the road. It will still be there and they would still have to deal with it eventually. Bad idea.

> if they just stopped trimming down dialogue in ways that rendered parts of it incoherent,

BS. Which parts?

> as well as cutting out the world-building, the non-action chapters and pretty much all signs of the female cast's internal thought processes.

I think you missing an obvious yet important detail that internal though process is internal and therefore, while completely natural in LN, can't be naturally represented in manga or anime. And this is kinda important idea to get if you are trying to teach people how to properly adapt LN into anime.

> Goblin Slayer anime wasn't facing any sort of "impossible" difficulties in adapting the original text into anime format; it simply didn't care to do so.

Or maybe they just don't quite share your ideas. The adaptation was clearly successful, I suppose this is what they wanted. Considering they make anime for living and you are not, I don't see any reason to think you know better.

> while I'm glad that you ended up enjoying it, for some of us expectations were a little higher than a brainless gory timewaster.

I just love this pseudo-elitist declaration of own intellectual supremacy which is not based on anything at all. It is just so adorably dumb. Your expectations are not "higher", they are just different.

Frankly, I doubt you would be happy with anything, all this "criticism" of yours is just an exercise in ego polishing. There is complete lack of substance in it. "Key plot point" affects nothing at all and you couldn't defend "basic order of events" idea either. Instead you produced a few new vague complains. It does look like you are complaining for the sake of complaining.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
Mavado wrote:
#844391 wrote:
C+ for the final episode? As far as I could see the reviewer didn't point out any actual problems with the final episode rather just saying he wished the series was doing things different. That results in a lower score?
That's typical. There's an infestation of reviewers who score things not based on its own merits but on whether or not it advances the reviewers politics.

If you're going to make that claim, you have to explain it and back it up.
nakobass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
My Rating A+
Episode 1 thru 12. Loved every second of Goblin Slayer. Looking forward to Season 2
Mavado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:20 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Mavado wrote:
#844391 wrote:

Now that's ban bait if I've ever seen it.

You can take a look at openly political reviewers like Anime Feminist (I tried to find a good right wing counterbalance, but none stood out as prominent to me).

Metacritic is actually a good place to look if you wan't to see this in action. Just search for criticism over "politically correct" reviews.

Like here over Battlefield 5.
NPC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
But if you're after c: and you don't want any negatives from b: or a:, if you only-and-solely want the positive buzz from the show without any problem areas being pointed out to you... you're not going to get that from professional criticism.

What is professional criticism? There are people who hired to make reviews. It doesn't automatically make them professionals. They can be just as bad at it as some random guy from the street.

What makes critic successful is his readers. It doesn't necessarily mean that he has to pander to them but his reviews must be interesting, relevant and easy to read for majority of readers. This is how critics become professionals, they gradually get acceptance of public.

I know nothing about Christopher Farris. I read the first weekly review in GS series because of all the noise around the first episode. There wasn't anything remotely interesting or thought provoking, my general impression was that this guy should just stop torturing himself and watch something else.

Just an example:
Quote:
we've already seen how clear it should be to any adventurer worth their salt that there's plenty of danger to the prospect of confronting a goblin horde. It makes the lack of regard that the denizens of this world have for goblins and the Goblin Slayer come off as arbitrary, just to force him into the role of misunderstood loner.

There is nothing arbitrary about that, adventurers that worth their salt deal with much more dangerous creatures daily. Goblins are dangerous but weak and noob parties regularly deal with them. They fail sometimes, but this happens with all adventurers, this job is inherently dangerous.

My goal would be "b" in your little classification and there is not a trace of it in Christopher Farris' reviews. Which accidentially makes them also completely uselsess for "a" and "c". I am definitely not inerested in anything he has to say about Goblin Slayer or anything else. The same is true for a few other ANN critics.

Assigning popular anime to a reviewer who hates it is just setting him up for failure. He will not be able to write anything interesting about it. His numerous and generally enthusiastic readers will consider his reviews bad which would make him a bad critic (see definition above).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
NPC wrote:
What is professional criticism? There are people who hired to make reviews. It doesn't automatically make them professionals. They can be just as bad at it as some random guy from the street.

First, the definition of a "professional" is someone who gets paid to do what they do. We do get paid for reviews, so that makes us professionals.

Now, as to whether we're any better than some random guy off the street, keep in mind that everyone who does reviews for ANN has either auditioned (as I did) or has an established track record in blogs, podcasts, and/or other web sites (most who have come into the fold in the last few years). Zac doesn't take anyone onto the reviewing staff who hasn't proven that they can write critically.

Quote:
Assigning popular anime to a reviewer who hates it is just setting him up for failure. He will not be able to write anything interesting about it. His numerous and generally enthusiastic readers will consider his reviews bad which would make him a bad critic

You seem to be under some bad misconceptions here. Given how prominent and controversial a title it was for the season, Chris almost certainly not only volunteered to review GS but probably had it high on his priority list. These days it's very rare for an episode reviewer to be assigned a title that they haven't at least expressed a willingness to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:53 am Reply with quote
Mavado wrote:
Galap wrote:
Mavado wrote:
#844391 wrote:

You can take a look at openly political reviewers like Anime Feminist (I tried to find a good right wing counterbalance, but none stood out as prominent to me).

Metacritic is actually a good place to look if you wan't to see this in action. Just search for criticism over "politically correct" reviews.

I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I know that people make politically motivated reviews. I'm just asking that you explain why you think this review in particular is politically motivated.

It's OK to disagree with the staff or take issue with what they're doing, but it's not OK to just throw accusations out there without justification. No one will be banned for good-faith and reasoned criticism.
NPC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
First, the definition of a "professional" is someone who gets paid to do what they do. We do get paid for reviews, so that makes us professionals.
Agree to disagree. There are multiple definitions of professional and I am completely certain that nargun meant "person who fits for profession" rather then "person who gets monetary compensation."

With all due respect, it doesn't matter for me if a person is paid or making it as a hobby as long as the reviews are interesting and useful for me. I can't imagine any reader who approaches it differently. And I pity the fool.

Quote:
Now, as to whether we're any better than some random guy off the street, keep in mind that everyone who does reviews for ANN has either auditioned (as I did) or has an established track record in blogs, podcasts, and/or other web sites (most who have come into the fold in the last few years). Zac doesn't take anyone onto the reviewing staff who hasn't proven that they can write critically.
Again, process, money and authority involved are completely meaningless to me. No amount of diplomas, copies of pay checks and glowing recommendations from Zac will ever convince me that Christopher Farris is a good reviewer. All I need to do is read his work myself and decide if it presents any interest for me. It doesn't.

Quote:
You seem to be under some bad misconceptions here. Given how prominent and controversial a title it was for the season, Chris almost certainly not only volunteered to review GS but probably had it high on his priority list. These days it's very rare for an episode reviewer to be assigned a title that they haven't at least expressed a willingness to do.
I see. It seemed like the most natural explanation. I thought that he was forced to do it, but he just does it for money. I don't know if it's better and if there is even a difference now. Converting ANN reputation into cash may make sense in the short term. Thank you for clearing it up.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Hold on.

Why would you think of this as something other than what we got ?
Even the manga isn't any more "revolutionary" in its portrayal of events. The basic narrative structures between the two hardly change and the tone is fairly consistent as well which has me questioning if you were really here for something different or just to bash the show as a whole.

This question is virtually the same for the reviewer, it strikes me as odd that they constantly draw deeper meaning from something that quite clearly isn't and hasn't been trying to be deep or thoughtful to begin with.

It has been brought up again and again - the manga is not the source material, the light novels are. The light novels are very tonally different from the manga, their writing style is more or less traditional fantasy in the vein of Lord of the Rings and they spend vastly more time on world-building and character introspective. They may not be revolutionary, but they're also not a borderline incoherent edgelord gorefest that the anmie ended up being.

This may have something to do with the fact that the manga was extremely rushed into production - it was greenlit before the novels even hit the shelves.
Mavado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Mavado wrote:
Galap wrote:
Mavado wrote:
#844391 wrote:

I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I know that people make politically motivated reviews. I'm just asking that you explain why you think this review in particular is politically motivated.

It's OK to disagree with the staff or take issue with what they're doing, but it's not OK to just throw accusations out there without justification. No one will be banned for good-faith and reasoned criticism.
I wasn't really targeting this review in particular (guess I wasn't clear enough). I merely tried to point to a seemingly growing trend of reviewers scoring work based on how they align politically and that someone giving a low score because of certain elements being absent in a work is nothing unusual.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
NPC wrote:

Quote:
Assigning popular anime to a reviewer who hates it is just setting him up for failure. He will not be able to write anything interesting about it. His numerous and generally enthusiastic readers will consider his reviews bad which would make him a bad critic

Why and how did he have it high on his priority list? He didn't seem any more interested in what it was doing in his preview entry than any of the others who gave it a 3 rating, and all he did the whole time was bash the series for what it wasn't rather than what it was.

He only grudgingly gave it props for what it did well and harped on the points it did poorly, he interpreted scenes so poorly that it seems like he was trying to get the wrong message from it, and in the same review he both *complained* that the show wasn't being excessive nor was it being boring in the *same sentence*. The one you used for the review snippet in fact!

This all strikes me as being a reviewer who went in with a dislike for the show and no matter how different it became from the first episode, he was going to keep reviewing it like that first episode.

We're (well, MOST of us are) fine if the reviewer doesn't like the show, but don't volunteer to review it if you aren't going to at least TRY to give it a chance. Let somebody who is *actually interested* in what it might have to say review it.

We had this problem with Darling in the FranXX, too. It wasn't that good a show, but the reviewer didn't even seem to be paying attention while watching it after like episode 12, getting things wrong and asking questions in the review that previous or even *that same episode* answered straight out.

We don't expect all glowing reviews. We expect actual effort and some level of open-mindedness. I don't think that's too much to ask from professionals who are getting paid to do this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 25