Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The End of Final Fantasy XV


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 4545
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for Tabata. Considering the whole mess with the $33,000,000 losses, it's a classic case of "we need a fall guy" and Tabata was the one they wanted to hold responsible.

I can admit Square Enix milked FFXV a little too long after the game's original release, and the constant patches and DLC probably didn't look good to players who expected better from a game that had been in development hell for too long, but for what it's worth, Tabata at least tried his hardest to make it all work and I respect anyone for doing their best.


Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3279
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Reading between the lines, it's not hard to see what likely happened here: they were working on FFXV DLC to diminishing returns (I mean, the game's two years old at this point),


Hey if games like World of Warcraft 3 can still get dlc in spite of dropping all the way back in 2005 I don't see why we should poke fun at XV Razz

Though snark outside I do kind of wonder how exactly did they blow 33 million dollars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2187
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Square enix has always been spectacularly bad with money, I wonder how much the seven year development of FF13 cost. I bet 15 didn't even recoup it's cost considering its been in development for close to a decade in one form or another, so bleeding more money for DLC that probably didn't sell that well seemed a terrible idea.

They need to stop making new engine for every game and they need to cull project way before cost overun like that. The western division (eidos) and the japan side really should talk to each others, Eidos need to stop having crazy expectation placed on profitable game (tomb raider, deus ex).

As far as FF15... meh. The game really wasn't that good, it was obviously missing a bunch of parts so those DLC were probably always in plan at some point, but it made it hard to care about the subject, none of the character's death ever meant anything since most of them were hardly even in the story anyway. And I'm not going to buy a bunch of DLC just to get the story that I was supposed to get in the beginning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1393
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I found Tabata to be a deeply mediocre designer to be honest. The best he ever managed was Crisis Core, and even then that game has a seriously stupid plot. I don't blame him for XV though considering that he was asked to jury rig something feasible out of a product that had several false starts due to Nomura changing his mind constantly on top of other production issues. That game was never going to make its money back, all they could hope for was minimizing damage.

The bigger issue is this: the FF series has now had three mainline titles in a row (not counting XIV, since it's an MMO and those are developed completely differently from typical games) with troubled, messy production cycles. Matsuno left his director's chair halfway through the production of FFXII because he was so sick of executives messing with it and has led to many people questioning how much of his game made it in (answer: not a lot). XIII took SEVEN YEARS to make and released one of the most polarizing titles in the series with only VIII seen as a worse entry. And of course XV spent over a decade in production, starting as a spinoff of XIII before the idea was dropped and they slapped a mainline number onto it. And I'm not getting into the VII Remake in spite of its ongoing production drama

They can't keep doing this. This is their mainline series, this is the franchise that made Squaresoft. Heck, FFVII was so big it might have singlehandedly decided Sony's place in the game industry. The boys at Square need to have a serious discussion about what to do with FF and how to proceed because with troubled production after troubled production plaguing the series this is now constituting a pattern and indicating that there is something problematic at a base level. Figure yourselves out!


Last edited by AiddonValentine on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3279
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:


They need to stop making new engine for every game and they need to cull project way before cost overun like that. The western division (eidos) and the japan side really should talk to each others, Eidos need to stop having crazy expectation placed on profitable game (tomb raider, deus ex).


Yeah that's not on Eidos (who didn't publish any of those games you mentioned) but Square as they were the same ones that came out and basically threw the Tomb Raider reboot under the bus for selling 3 million copies when it was initially released since that though it's gone on to sell 11 million copies likely in part due to the HD Remaster.


AiddonValentine wrote:
XIII took SEVEN YEARS to make and released one of the most polarizing titles in the series with only VIII seen as a worse entry.


IX wasn't well liked either considering it sold less than VIII. Though any game that seems to not be VI or VII is divisive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wolf10



Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 311
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
This announcement freed up almost a fifth of my PS4 hard drive. I don't need to wait for them to finish it anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kicksville



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 558
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally, Data East's bizarre horror-themed beat-em-up Night Slashers comes to Switch just a smidge too late for Halloween, which is a shame. People either seem to love or hate Night Slashers, but if you're a beat-em-up fan, why not pick it up and see for yourself if you dig it?

...whoa, I missed this. Cool, but yeah, tragically late this year.

Thing with it is, the first half of the game is awesome, capping off with a great vampire boss fight, but then weirdly turns into a generic setting beat 'em up by the second. Wonder what happened there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 13978
Location: The Bee and Barb Inn
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

They can't keep doing this. This is their mainline series, this is the franchise that made Squaresoft. Heck, FFVII was so big it might have singlehandedly decided Sony's place in the game industry. The boys at Square need to have a serious discussion about what to do with FF and how to proceed because with troubled production after troubled production plaguing the series this is now constituting a pattern and indicating that there is something problematic at a base level. Figure yourselves out!

Especially since they are most assuredly not the king of the J-RPG mountain anymore. While they keep pushing mediocre games the Tales and Dragon Quest franchises keep turning out better products.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Raoku



Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 18
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Just to correct an error that I saw Rabi-Ribi has been out on Ps4 and Vita since October 31, 2017 so not new. It might be new to the Switch though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cetais



Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 489
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

They can't keep doing this. This is their mainline series, this is the franchise that made Squaresoft. Heck, FFVII was so big it might have singlehandedly decided Sony's place in the game industry. The boys at Square need to have a serious discussion about what to do with FF and how to proceed because with troubled production after troubled production plaguing the series this is now constituting a pattern and indicating that there is something problematic at a base level. Figure yourselves out!

Especially since they are most assuredly not the king of the J-RPG mountain anymore. While they keep pushing mediocre games the Tales and Dragon Quest franchises keep turning out better products.
It feels weird to mention Dragon Quest here since it's also another franchise SquareEnix owns.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soval



Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Blizzcon and the uproar surrounding Diablo: Immortal?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7128
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Though snark outside I do kind of wonder how exactly did they blow 33 million dollars.


Possibly in a similar way as that game that almost bankrupted the state of Rhode Island.

AiddonValentine wrote:
They can't keep doing this. This is their mainline series, this is the franchise that made Squaresoft. Heck, FFVII was so big it might have singlehandedly decided Sony's place in the game industry. The boys at Square need to have a serious discussion about what to do with FF and how to proceed because with troubled production after troubled production plaguing the series this is now constituting a pattern and indicating that there is something problematic at a base level. Figure yourselves out!


If what you say is true (and I have no reason not to believe it), then it's rather amusing to me that the Kingdom Hearts franchise continues to make money for them despite likely paying huge amounts of money to have Disney characters and locations in it. (Then again, maybe Disney went to Square-Enix and asked them to make a game.)

Raoku wrote:
Just to correct an error that I saw Rabi-Ribi has been out on Ps4 and Vita since October 31, 2017 so not new. It might be new to the Switch though.


Is it on the Switch outside of Japan? I don't think I've ever seen Rabi-Ribi come up on the eShop list for me, and I check it pretty often to look for interesting games other people might overlook. (I just picked up Nefariouslast month, for instance.)

Rabi-Ribi is not for me though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JustStopPlz



Joined: 29 Aug 2018
Posts: 18
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to all the DLC still coming for XV. The game was by no means perfect, but I still enjoyed it. The whole develop of the game was mess from the very early days when it was Versus XIII. Tabata savaged what he could but it just wasn't enough to truly tell a complete story. I hate to see Tabata be the fall guy for Square but i'll be following his new project very closely. I'm curious to see what he'll do with a project he has control over from the start.

But these moves by Square have me concerned about the future of their games and the next main Final Fantasy title. I hope they get their shit together get and keep the same people on from start to finish on the next game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tuor_of_Gondolin
Team GurrenTeam Gurren


Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 3261
Location: Bellevue, WA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Soval wrote:
No mention of Blizzcon and the uproar surrounding Diablo: Immortal?

Not much gaming news outside of Nintendo around here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
Lord Oink



Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 760
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Soval wrote:
No mention of Blizzcon and the uproar surrounding Diablo: Immortal?


Not Japan related

*insert obligatory "Dont you have a phone?" joke here*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group