• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Studio Xebec's Production Operations to Be Transfered to Sunrise

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
If the brand of Xebec actually does stop being a thing (which, based on this article, doesn’t sound like it will happen), I’m very curious to know what will happen to the staff who have only worked on specific Xebec series such as Yuuna and TLR. I personally don’t see a reason why Sunrise would let them go if they don’t plan on keeping them, but if they do, I sincerely hope that those people can find more work somewhere in the industry. I also wonder what happens now if production groups of those Xebec series want more episodes of Yuuna and TLR. Do they want to try to have Xebec continue working on them if Sunrise lets them or will they simply go for a different studio and staff (which would definitely not be ideal in my eyes)? Whatever happens, as someone who has quite enjoyed their works for a long time, I just hope that Xebec will not completely disappear as if it was nothing.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
So am I understanding this means IG Port is giving over Xebec to Sunrise to take on as their own subsidiary or just handing off current productions while the company restructures?
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, both companies have some of the best mecha animation there is, so it's a nice fit. On the other hand, how this plays out is an entirely different story.

Xebec's work on Zoids: Chaotic Century, Zoids: New Century Zero, the Fafner franchise, and the very much overlooked Silver Will Argevollen have stood out to me over the years. And they've contributed to a lot of great anime with in-between work. I wonder what this means for Fafner: The Beyond...
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
So am I understanding this means IG Port is giving over Xebec to Sunrise to take on as their own subsidiary or just handing off current productions while the company restructures?

This is from the Sunrise website.

Schedule
Signed basic agreement November 21, 2018
New company established March 1, 2019 (planned)
Date of final contract signing March 11, 2019 (planned)
Business transfer date April 1, 2019 (planned)

New company outline
company name     To be determined
Establishment date March 1, 2019 (planned)
Capital 10 million yen
Shareholder Sunrise Co., Ltd. 100%

It definitely sounds like Sunrise is going to own them.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
#alfrescoCR wrote:
donhumberto wrote:
I hope this doesn't mean the final Yamato film is in any danger... Sad

yamato would probably be fine in sunrise's care.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that one. Yamato is a big enough property that I think they'll be careful with it. Plus, it seems like something that is in Sunrise's wheelhouse anyway.

well, I did a lot of research just to be sure. Technically, sunrise CGI Department did the CGI on the first 25 episodes of yamato remake, which is a really good and outstanding work. And they kinda have a working experience with the yamato director so Its gonna be fine.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

This is from the Sunrise website.

Schedule
Signed basic agreement November 21, 2018
New company established March 1, 2019 (planned)
Date of final contract signing March 11, 2019 (planned)
Business transfer date April 1, 2019 (planned)

New company outline
company name     To be determined
Establishment date March 1, 2019 (planned)
Capital 10 million yen
Shareholder Sunrise Co., Ltd. 100%

It definitely sounds like Sunrise is going to own them.

i Dont think xebec will be owned by sunrise, only the I.P's will. Intellectual propery rights to "some" xebec works will be transferred to sunrise. And xebec will probably be liquidated...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
*sigh* RIP Xebec. You produced some of the my absolute favorite shows of the last 23 years, and its always sad to see such a studio disappear.

On the plus side, Yamato now being in Sunrise's hands is probably the best the franchise can hope for. Staff turnovers are always common when transfers/buy outs like this happen; hopefully any such departures from the Yamato staff will be held to a minimum.

The only other question I have now is what is the status on Full Metal Panic season 5. Xebec was supposed to be handling that, but aside from some vague words when Invisible Victory ended, there hasn't been any word on when or even if an s5 will even be made. Hopefully Sunrise won't just cancel it out of hand; FMP should be a series right up their alley.

Xebec doesn’t own FMP. They just animated Invisible Victory. It’s owned by Kadokowa. If they want to make another season, they will do so. They’ll just hire a different studio.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
#alfrescoCR wrote:

i Dont think xebec will be owned by sunrise, only the I.P's will. Intellectual propery rights to "some" xebec works will be transferred to sunrise. And xebec will probably be liquidated...

IPs, the Xebec name, Photography team and CG teams stay with IG iirc. Everything else goes to Sunrise.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I just thought of something crazy. What if XEBEC just took a crazy chance and animated the 3rd season of To Love-ru Darkness for the sake of the fans seeing how this might be their last chance before the studio comes to a close. I mean, they could just take the risk of making money on one more season of a popular comedy ecchi harem fanservice anime series under the XEBEC name with (besides the studio itself) nothing to lose.

Unless the manga creators Kentaro Yabuki and Saki Hasemi decide to take the last chapters of the manga to another studio just like how Ishiei Ishibumi and Miyama-Zero took the fourth season of High School DxD to another anime studio after TNK ruined the anime's 3rd season.

If TLRD does get a 3rd season, I hope Atsushi Otsuki returns to direct it as I personally felt he has done a really splendid job with the anime so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2