• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ad Agency Briefly Reveals Sonic the Hedgehog Film's Character Design

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:39 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Why are so many people (not just here, other sites too) jumping to the conclusion that this is gonna be a bad movie just because of Sonic’s design? It’s fine to dislike it, but come on, Paramount hasn’t even released a trailer yet.

It's the design of the main character. It's not just a minor detail, anyone who watches this film is gonna have to stare at this [expletive] thing for at least 60% of the screentime unless they change the design ASAP.

A team of professionals was hired for this by the way. Loads of money was spent on this. And this is the best thing they had to represent their work on the film ths far.

There's a limit to optimism man.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
GOD DAMMIT SEGA! YOU ALREADY HAD A GOOD 3D CHARACTER DESIGN FOR SONIC! DON'T LET PARAMOUNT DO THIS!
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:37 am Reply with quote
I have two questions, one.. why?

and, two.. what's wrong with Sonic's original design, seriously.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
DEVILS COME OUT!
ballinamon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am Reply with quote
It's shiiiiiit!
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
This is what people who hate furries think they're into.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
I think it's fine. For a live action anthropomorphic hedgehog they could have done much, much worse to the guy. I never expected it to look like the game sprite and if he's going to be interacting with humans then I sure am glad he doesn't. They couldn't get away with what they're doing in Detective Pikachu and just applying realistic textures to pokemon, you'd end up with a Sonic that would be a little too cartoonish to interact with humans. Making him a little more human-like makes sense for a live action movie.

And incidentally, that's just a cheaper to produce simplified take on the actual CG from the movie used for marketing. The actual CG is going to be much more detailed and realistic.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
Miss Shiori wrote:
I have two questions, one.. why?

and, two.. what's wrong with Sonic's original design, seriously.

Which one the original 1991 design, or the modern one they've been using since 1998 and were never going to be used for the movie?

Yuza wrote:

There's a limit to optimism man.

Given how people went from being on the fence about Detective Pikachu when it was announced to the debut of the first trailer. To now being all in for the movie following the second trailer.....There's also a limit to pessimism too.

I mean personally I couldn't care less about his design the only thing that's going to make or break this movie is it's writing, the acting, and it's action scenes......2 of which have been the biggest things people have taken issue with regards to the games themselves.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
I was hoping against hope, given the oddly-endearing balance Detective Pikachu managed to strike with its visuals, but alas, Sonic has not fared as well.

I'll have to pass. Sad
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
It's better than I was afraid it would be, but it still looks like a poster render. The shading and mouth in the film itself could wind up looking different.
Megax36

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
Need you all be reminded of these abominations!

Perhaps some of you are too young to remember, but for those who are not I think we could all agree, that even though they were horrible representations of the source material upon which they were based, in the end they did little to deter the future success of the IPs!
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there's discernable differences between that Sonic and the one on the teaser poster. For instance, the quills on its head are quite low in the back, and I don't think the one on the poster looks the same.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm not even sure they're trying to make a GOOD movie anyway. Just a fun, controversial one that'll get people talking and that might end up one of those movies that you watch for the same reasons you watch the Super Mario Bros. movie.
Not sure they're gonna succeed with that but here's hoping!

I've embraced the schlocky, crappy video game adaptation completely and what I'm hoping for with any one that's announced is for them to be entertainingly bad and still fun to watch and rip apart. I don't think we're getting a genuinely good adaptation of any game anytime soon so I think expecting that is gonna always end up in disappointment.
Though Detective Pikachu seems like it's gonna have fun with itself too and that might be the best way to make any video game movie: not taking yourself and your product too seriously. And that's what I'm hoping for.

Having regular designs for Sonic (or Pokemon for that matter) wouldn't get people talking nearly as much as this has and I think they're genuinely banking on that. And with that in mind, I think this could've been much worse.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
Based on his design and how the studio clearly doesn't understand the sonic series just with that abomination alone...
I think it's safe to say that Knuckles, Amy, and Tails won't be in this picture.
It'll be woody the wood pecker all over again. Neutral

At least the Woody Woodpecker movie was faithful to the kind of humor the original cartoons had, but even THAT didn't work in a live-action movie. Also, I think Ben Schwartz is the perfect voice for Sonic, and he should replace Roger Craig Smith in future Sonic games. Also, looking at that hideous design, I have a feeling Nickelodeon is gonna co-produce this movie instead of Sega.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
This ain't it, chief
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4