• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime of Spring 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Lenks wrote:
Most posters have mentioned titles I'm looking forward to, but no one has mentioned Mix yet. Not too many baseball fans here, huh? Wink

I'm a baseball fan (Go get 'em Tigers! Or at least don't suck as hard as the MLB prognosticators seem to think you will), but I've yet to watch an anime about it that really grabs me.

Yeah...yeah....a girl can dream, right? ;____;
Oby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Not counting Attack on Titan again, Gundam Origin is pretty exciting! I've not managed to get through the original and didn't really want to get into any of its infinite sequels having not watched that one (except for the ones not related to any continuity like the Builds), so this can open up a lot of good anime to me, I feel. Hitoribocchi convinced me with its staff, too, so I'll be looking forward to that one.

Gundam: The Origin was originally a 6-episode OVAs (each episode is 1 hour-ish long). The TV series will literally chop that up into 13-episode "reruns", so it will probably have problematic pacing & structure (just like Gundam Unicorn & Broken Blade TV "reruns" that's not originally meant for that format). I really recommend checking the OVA version if you have access to it.

Also, even after you've seen The Origin, you still have to watch the original MSG (TV or Trilogy movies) if you want to fully experience the UC-verse story because The Origin anime ends right before Mobile Suit Gundam story begins (it's like Star Wars Prequel Trilogy).
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
And I'm the killjoy Laughing

I'm hopeful the structure won't be too bad/adapted well enough, but thanks for the heads up on having to watch the original/movies. That dampers me quite a bit but it's better than having wrong information.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
Most posters have mentioned titles I'm looking forward to, but no one has mentioned Mix yet. Not too many baseball fans here, huh? Wink

I had totally forgot that this was coming out this season!
I will watch ANY Mitsuru Adachi show, so this definitely on my must-watch list this season.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Carole and Tuesday looks promising. Somehow I'm reminded of SF. As for Fruits Basket, it's interesting that they revived this again. Not to crazy about the new designs but this is what happens so not much you can do. But glad that they will take the series to the end. Though I'll miss Akitarou Daichi's insane humor.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
Is it weird that I came here thinking there would be a least anticipated list? Laughing

I did too to be honest...

There's not really anything this season that grabs me. I mean, maybe I'd watch Fairy Gone, depending on who licenses it? But generally... Nothing particularly exciting.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Lenks wrote:

I'm a baseball fan (Go get 'em Tigers! Or at least don't suck as hard as the MLB prognosticators seem to think you will), but I've yet to watch an anime about it that really grabs me.

If it's the game of baseball that you like I'd bet on Ace of Diamond S3 being the better bet. I could see the anime adding some game intrigue, but Mix is mostly interpersonal drama and comedy surrounding the players and families.
I've read and watched all of Adaichi's major works and I just can't get over the fact that the Mix manga still hasn't brought in a good hook for the series. No discernible conflict, only tepid hints of romance. It's been years of build-up without a pay-off. I am just hoping that this series culminates not in an end but with a half-way point big development.

...and yes, here's to the Tigers not completely sucking.
Thankfully, my NL team is the Brewers so I can still have fun watching games this year.

BTW, if you look close you do see that Nick Creamer mentions Mix as a "personal choice" to also look for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
"Who might get 'Fairy gone'?" is my question. The closest thing I think I have found to that is found in the "On Air" page of the anime's official web site. It does list "Amazon" and "Amazon Prime" but might be only for Japan in this instance.

With all the marketing P.A. Works has been giving this original anime, I think they would want to give a license to Funi, Crunchyroll, or Sentai as those 3 excel at what Netflix USA fails at: weekly streams. Weekly anime streams on official sites can help foster regular forum discussions about the show which can help build more of a fan base.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only frustration will be Carole & Tuesday's Netflix distribution, as someone who firmly prefers consuming my anime in weekly chunks as opposed to binge watching. But maybe that will give Watanabe some room to stretch with the episodic format he's mastered in so many of his previous ventures, and really flex his creative muscles on this project.

I know I'm a few days late, but I wanted to add that this won't give him any "room to stretch" because it's airing weekly, like normal, on Japanese TV and will be added to Netflix Japan the 1 episode at a time, the day after it airs on TV. So the production of this should be exactly the same as normal anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3