• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Hunting Allowed In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, deer overpopulation in Indiana and southern Michigan has been a significant problem for decades - at least since the '80s, anyway - and for pretty much the same reason as anywhere else. I still remember one time in the late spring driving on a stretch of interstate in southern Michigan that was well away from urban areas and seeing a dead deer at the side of the road every 1-2 miles over a span of about 20 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unready

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
As a result, deer and boar populations have been exploding, and causing major damage to agriculture and forest land. ... Facing such challenges, local governments have been trying to get more young people interested in hunting, holding sponsored events and such.

That sounds so strange but I guess Japan is just really different from the west.
Anytime I hear anything on the news or internet about hunting its always about how wildlife is being endangered and poachers are a problem (although I suppose poachers are targeting the endangered species).

As several others have pointed out, deer and hogs are a big problem in the US.

One poster pointed out it's because humans killed off the former apex predators (wolves). One poster compared deer to rats. I'd compare them to cockroaches. Yes, they're furry and have big brown eyes, but they're furry cockroaches with big brown eyes.

Personally, I'd love to see breeding pairs of wolves introduced all across the country, like they were in Yellowstone, but it won't happen.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm basically repeating what a lot of people have said, but I live in California and deer are a big pest problem out here (boars too occasionally, but much less so). Part of the problem is that, without natural predators, deer not only cause property damage and traffic accidents, but they actually multiply in the spring and summer to the point that in the fall and winter, the city is full of starving, mangy, sad animals because too many adults have survived and have nothing to eat. They in turn spread disease and are driven by desperation into further mixing into urban areas, causing more problems and accidents.

In another part of the West that I lived in for a few years, the deer were such a problem that the city actually legalized bow and crossbow hunting in city parks! I never saw anyone stalking a deer through the park, but I did ask a police officer and apparently it was completely legal, provided you had the right permit.

In my neighborhood right now, wild turkeys are running amok. It's legal to hunt them without even a permit, so long as you do it on your own land with a bow. Saves the city having to cull them eventually, I guess, though again I've never seen anyone actually do so.

I like the idea of reintroducing some predators at the top of the foodchain, but unfortunately I just don't think it's practical. Wolves and bears living in the light urban/dense agricultural areas where I live would be just asking for attacks on people and pets, and as much as I am a conservationist, I don't know how to draw the cost/benefit between restoring those amazing animals to their traditional haunts and worrying about kids playing in the woods disappearing without a trace.

Anyway, hope Japan figures out their deer and boar issues! Deer you could probably tackle by revitalizing interest in archery. That's a really interesting hunt. Boars I wouldn't want to be hunting with anything less than a rifle and a high caliber sidearm though; putting an arrow in one seems more likely to end up with you dead than the boar!
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Personally, I'd love to see breeding pairs of wolves introduced all across the country, like they were in Yellowstone, but it won't happen.

steelmirror wrote:
I like the idea of reintroducing some predators at the top of the foodchain, but unfortunately I just don't think it's practical. Wolves and bears living in the light urban/dense agricultural areas where I live would be just asking for attacks on people and pets, and as much as I am a conservationist, I don't know how to draw the cost/benefit between restoring those amazing animals to their traditional haunts and worrying about kids playing in the woods disappearing without a trace.

Yeah, same here in Washington. The places where deer are becoming a problem are basically the places where you either dont want wolves, or they'll likely become a problem in their own right pretty quickly. Re-introduction worked in Yellowstone because of it's vast areas of backcountry, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
...and not a single comment about hunting people. I am disappointed in you, internet. Also, what are the licensing requirements for BattleMechs? I would expect they're pretty short.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
In Detective Conan, a hunter was spontaneously murdered by another hunter for using a bait to kill a bear the one hunter was trying to protect. The bait was a killed cub of said bear and hanged on a tree.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:

One poster compared deer to rats. I'd compare them to cockroaches. Yes, they're furry and have big brown eyes, but they're furry cockroaches with big brown eyes

I don't know anyone that would want steak or burgers made from cockroaches, however (or rats, for that matter). I'll take either from a deer any day.
deviljho0001

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Some Japanese if they really want to shoot a gun without license just fly to Hawaii. There's a tourist spot where you could shoot guns!
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Might want to ease up on the restrictions, I heard boar are out of control in some parts of Japan and you don't want boar running rampant as they can be a killer.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
unready wrote:

steelmirror wrote:

Yeah, same here in Washington. The places where deer are becoming a problem are basically the places where you either dont want wolves, or they'll likely become a problem in their own right pretty quickly. Re-introduction worked in Yellowstone because of it's vast areas of backcountry, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

This is true. Also as another Washington native, we're starting to have cougar problems but on the other hand I'm totally "uwu" for cougars and wolves so I hate that we'd have to thin them out or anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, deer overpopulation in Indiana and southern Michigan has been a significant problem for decades - at least since the '80s, anyway - and for pretty much the same reason as anywhere else. I still remember one time in the late spring driving on a stretch of interstate in southern Michigan that was well away from urban areas and seeing a dead deer at the side of the road every 1-2 miles over a span of about 20 miles.

I'm in the metro Atlanta area of Georgia and we also have deer in spades. Next most common is probably opossum, but it's feral hogs further south in the state that are the biggest problem. Northwest of us near America's breadbasket is where the raccoons lay as roadkill every half-mile or so. I've never seen fatter raccoons than when driving through those Midwestern corn fields during harvest time, nor have I seen so many dead raccoons at the same time.
unready

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
FMPhoenixHawk wrote:
...and not a single comment about hunting people. I am disappointed in you, internet. ...

Okay, let's reintroduce breeding pairs of wolves in downtown metro areas to control crime. Seattle comes to mind.

Is the requirement satisfied?

TheAncientOne wrote:
unready wrote:
One poster compared deer to rats. I'd compare them to cockroaches. Yes, they're furry and have big brown eyes, but they're furry cockroaches with big brown eyes

I don't know anyone that would want steak or burgers made from cockroaches, however (or rats, for that matter). I'll take either from a deer any day.

Extra-crunchy is a feature. The comparison was more about how they breed and how undesirable they are, not how they cook up. Although CWD ....

[Do not double-post. Use the "Edit" button instead. ~Zalis]
Fullmetal Archivist

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

That sounds so strange but I guess Japan is just really different from the west.
Anytime I hear anything on the news or internet about hunting its always about how wildlife is being endangered and poachers are a problem (although I suppose poachers are targeting the endangered species).

I suppose this also means if you're not a citizen of Japan you have zero chance of hunting as a tourist.

in the USA it is similar--some regions are full of wild pigs. Others have deer overpopulation that it is becoming a pest, because people don't hunt as much now and due to loss of predators and deer causes spread of disease and causes traffic accidents.

I was just going to say Michigan has had a deer problem for many years. While there still are some predators left there isn’t as much to keep up and there is a decrease in the amount of people interested. It was fun to see some of the similarities between Michigan and Japan in this article
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
That is quite a few hoops to jump through. Getting a gun is not that big a process in the UK but is still pricey, another undiscussed issue I have is trying to tend to the meat and what to do with the fur.

Deer populations are only really an issue in Scotland so there is not much to hunt outside of small pests such as pheasant, rabbits, squirrels and pigeon. You have to remove the shot where you can before cooking but sometimes it is impossible and you have to be very careful not to break your teeth when you eat it. It can be a chore in of itself.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
jdnation wrote:
I wonder if we can make moe versions of guns like they do battleships.

Upotte!!

There's also some mobile game or other with anthropomorphic personifications of guns. I can't remember if it was specifically bolt action rifles or guns more generally, I just remember that Lee Enfield was one of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3