• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Strange Anime & Manga Spin-Offs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 am Reply with quote
Powerpuff Girls Z
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
Another version of this article, another wasted oportunity for futakoi alternative. futakoi being a generic harem-romance anime, while futakoi alternative is a detective story, made by ufotable. well, now to wait another few years for the next iteration.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Once again a reminder.

As mentioned in the article, this topic was covered before. A couple mentioned in the talkback are in that list.

7 Wonderfully Weird Anime Spin-Offs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nimitz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
To this day it's beyond me how Shinji Ikari Raising Project gets so much love

Quote:
95% of it really is just Shinji tripping and accidentally undressing the girls

That's all it takes for some people Laughing
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
(Moto) Tagaki-san

It's an spin off/sequel of the still going Manga Tagaki-san, thus, the Manga and it's 10 years in the future sequel are runing at the same time.

And the thing goes full meta when Tagaki-san runs chapters that are a Sequel to (Moto) Tagaki-san.

Thus the Manga, the Sequel of the Manga and the Sequel of the Sequel of the Manga are runing at the same time.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
They're not exactly "strange"- they're almost normalized sequels to a needlessly strange original... but have you ever considered the oddness of Please Twins, the sequel to Please Teacher, and the remake, Waiting for the Summer?

Teacher is set some 20-30 years “in the future.” Man has ventured into space and there’s this fantasy “standstill” disease that affects cast members.

But while Twins is supposedly a shared universe sequel there is no reference to it being in the future and the main character even works as a computer programmer working with contemporary PCs.

Summer is pretty much the Teacher plot but no teacher, no fantasy disease and the girl isn’t a half-human descendent of a space explorer but simply an alien in a contemporary world.

How many series get more “normal” as they go forward?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Naiera

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Teacher is set some 20-30 years “in the future.” Man has ventured into space and there’s this fantasy “standstill” disease that affects cast members.

Wut? Shocked

Man hasn't ventured into space.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

But while Twins is supposedly a shared universe sequel there is no reference to it being in the future and the main character even works as a computer programmer working with contemporary PCs.

Because you're wrong about when Teacher takes place, and other things.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

Summer is pretty much the Teacher plot but no teacher, no fantasy disease and the girl isn’t a half-human descendent of a space explorer but simply an alien in a contemporary world.

I've never heard Waiting in the Summer described as a remake before. It's just a similar story in the same universe.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Naiera wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Wut? Shocked

Man hasn't ventured into space.

it's a slight exaggeration (I couldn't remember the details and had to check up on it to answer you), and maybe easy to forget because it was explained so briefly... and barely any other details point to it... but you do remember that Mizuho was half-human/ "Earthling", right?

remembering that this was a show from 2001, this is how that was explained in the second episode (while they were trapped in the gym storage).
In 2009 a mission to Mars disappeared- they were picked up by the galaxy federation. Her father was a crew member, he married an alien and they had Mizuho.
...Mizuho is 20, 21, maybe a bit older?

Hate to shock you, but as written, Please Teacher is set in the 2030's.- about 30 years in the future from the time of its airing.

Twins never mentions it, and basically passes over the point that Miziho is/was half-human.

And yes, the creator of the Please shows and Summer himself described Summer as the Teacher story in a way that he wishes he could have told it the first time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2