• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Warner Bros. Removes Live-Action Akira Film From Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
Excellent decision. I'll be eagerly awaiting the new TV anime. Thanks Hollywood.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
KORinRUSSIA wrote:
Yet another one goes SoulCalibur movie way. And I have no faith in that Taika Waititi dude. Akira does not need to be extremely visual, it should be deeply anxious and politically expressive. Not your Thor adventures.

Eh, I think Akira can go one of two ways depending on how it is produced exactly.

The manga is a very complex story with a lot of political and social commentary. If we are talking about a full-length adaptation of that then I agree that visuals aren't as important as the rest of it.

On the other hand, if we're talking about a single movie which has to distill the story down to an hour and a half? That's a lot different. There's just not enough time to dive into the social and political expression. The main appeal to me of the existing Akira movie (anime) is entirely aesthetics. The art style, the animation quality, the music, and the anxious ambiance is what is appealing to me about that movie.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
KORinRUSSIA wrote:
Yet another one goes SoulCalibur movie way. And I have no faith in that Taika Waititi dude. Akira does not need to be extremely visual, it should be deeply anxious and politically expressive. Not your Thor adventures.

Akira is praised solely for it's visuals, though. The dozens of Akira homages aren't about whatever socio-political messages are in it. They're homaging the bike slide, they're homaging the bloby transformation animation. If you remove the animation, you remove the entire point people liked the movie for to begin with. The only way to make it work in live-action is to give it the best CG effects in the entire industry to recapture what the original movie did for traditional animation.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Akira is praised solely for it's visuals, though. The dozens of Akira homages aren't about whatever socio-political messages are in it. They're homaging the bike slide, they're homaging the bloby transformation animation. If you remove the animation, you remove the entire point people liked the movie for to begin with.

Exactly that.

Quote:
The only way to make it work in live-action is to give it the best CG effects in the entire industry to recapture what the original movie did for traditional animation.

That too. The problem I see, however, is that even if that is the intent behind the movie, I fear that they'll drop the ball by trying to modernize/localize it, or try to make more money off of it by substituting modern music for its rather eclectic soundtrack, etc. I don't think Akira would survive any sort of typical Hollywood treatment. Trying to make Akira mainstream would be undoing exactly what makes it special to its fans. I think it could work given a high enough budget and if it was intended to be an "art film" from the ground up....but I think the chance of that happening is zero, and it will be destroyed by the hollywood mass-appeal machine.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Nobody wants this movie. It ain’t for the fans, it’s for the investors. They made a movie once and it can’t be topped. Besides, we’re already getting a series.

I do. Taika Waititi's really good at contextualising political commentary -- KORinRussia managed to miss that thor ragnarok is a film literally about leftist revolution and the irrelevance of traditional sources of authority -- and he's a brilliant match for deeply-polititical material.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:50 am Reply with quote
Well, it should've been released this year anyway - Akira's story takes place in 2019, and there's only a couple weeks left Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Considering they are a lot smaller than the WB and thus don't have as many projects on their figurative plate, if they had Lionsgate work on this project it is possible we might have gotten a release of it by now!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2