• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best LGBTQ+ Characters of 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
And to avoid offering anything solid myself. Just go to Symphogear! You literally have 2-3 lesbian couples to work from in that show! Could have made half this article with that franchise and avoided having to reach for choices.

To be fair, if we're talking about canon vs interpretations, Symphogear is not canonically gay. It's heavily heavily implied, but the same could be said about Promare (I haven't seen Promare so I can't comment), and people are arguing against that.
The character's say "I love you!" to each other lots but it's never specified anyone is gay or dating, so the affection could be seen as just "friends".

(for my part tho Hibiki and Miku are married, Kirika and Shirabe are a couple and so are Maria and Tsubasa... but anyway)

(Unfortunately Cagliostro and Prelati were hardly in XV so we can't even try and sneak them in)
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
You may note that some posts are missing. This isn't a forum for discussing which parts of the anime fan base you don't like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
You may note that some posts are missing. This isn't a forum for discussing which parts of the anime fan base you don't like.

Considering that only one line of my otherwise lengthy post was about that (and it was in response to someone else), could you not just have asked me to edit it? I would have been happy to do so.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
There are a number of anime characters who I feel are at least written as autistic but never explicitly labeled as such. Like I'm fairly positive Mob from Mob Psycho is written to be autistic, and the main female lead from Relife also struck me as someone on the spectrum as someone who personally has been diagnosed with asperger's syndrome

The only two anime characters I've seen that I can safely say are somewhere on the spectrum are Jundai Kayahara from Kuromukuro and Nasa Sanagi from Convenience Store Boy Friends. Obscure picks, but good ones.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:

Luca doesn't count since Intersex is something separate from sexuality

What do you think the I in LGBTQIA even stands for.

El Hermano wrote:
It's sporadic because most of this list is either stuff aimed at straight men/women as fanservice, or unofficial fanships.

For all the complaining about how this article is "reaching" y'all sure are doing a lot reaching here. Even in the least generous reading, taking out the ones without explicit textual confirmation of queerness, 5 out of 7 entries on this list are not "fanservice unofficial ships". Reo and Mabu are textually a couple. Yu is textually queer. Momo is textually in love with a girl. Luca is textually intersex and bisexual, Given is a literal BL manga. Covering your ears and closing your eyes doesn't make the LGBTQ+ characters disappear
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Errinundra wrote:

Considering that only one line of my otherwise lengthy post was about that (and it was in response to someone else), could you not just have asked me to edit it? I would have been happy to do so.

I'll PM your text to you so can re-post it with edits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:50 pm Reply with quote
In Fate/Zero, when Rider is summoned, the text quite literally says that Waver almost ejaculates. You could argue it's just a figure of speech, but it seems pretty blatant to me.
Quote:
The moment he saw the silhouette of the big frame slowly rising from the summoning circle, behind the white smoke, Waver was so exalted he almost came in his pants.

And here's the original Japanese text in case anyone thinks I'm making this up:
Quote:
白煙にけぶる召喚陣から、のっそりと立ち上がる巨軀のシルエットを目にした瞬間。その昂揚たるや、ウェイバーはあやうく射精してパンツを台無しにしかかったほどである。
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
To be fair, if we're talking about canon vs interpretations, Symphogear is not canonically gay. It's heavily heavily implied, but the same could be said about Promare (I haven't seen Promare so I can't comment), and people are arguing against that.
The character's say "I love you!" to each other lots but it's never specified anyone is gay or dating, so the affection could be seen as just "friends".

The interesting thing about non-standard relationships in media (and in real life) is that we set much tougher criteria for them to qualify as canon. Unless there's a big cliche kiss scene or whatever, or the author breaks the fourth wall to declare them official gays, we'll come up with endless excuses for why it's all in the fans' heads. But if something has two opposite-gender main characters (of around the same age, who aren't relatives), everyone assumes it's canonical romance, no plot or character design details required.

I don't think it's really homophobia so much as pattern recognition--most people are straight or nearly-straight, and romance stories derived from that standard are a dime a dozen--but it's still odd how much we downplay interpretations as "yuri goggles" or "yaoi goggles" when no one ever talks about "heterosexual goggles," which seem to be welded to most people's heads. Fiction is always going to be interpreted differently by different people; that's practically what it's for. Just try to avoid shipping real people.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The interesting thing about non-standard relationships in media (and in real life) is that we set much tougher criteria for them to qualify as canon. Unless there's a big cliche kiss scene or whatever, or the author breaks the fourth wall to declare them official gays, we'll come up with endless excuses for why it's all in the fans' heads. But if something has two opposite-gender main characters (of around the same age, who aren't relatives), everyone assumes it's canonical romance, no plot or character design details required.

I don't think it's really homophobia so much as pattern recognition--most people are straight or nearly-straight, and romance stories derived from that standard are a dime a dozen--but it's still odd how much we downplay interpretations as "yuri goggles" or "yaoi goggles" when no one ever talks about "heterosexual goggles," which seem to be welded to most people's heads. Fiction is always going to be interpreted differently by different people; that's practically what it's for. Just try to avoid shipping real people.

That's vert true, but there's also the issue of shows gay-baiting. It can be hard to distinguish what is hints of intentionally a non-standard relationship that we're just inbuilt not to properly recognise, and what is just enough intentional hints of non-standard relationships that will make people see a gay couple, but where there was never that intention beyond the baiting.
Headcanons of fictional character's relationships are fine, but creators intentionally gay-baiting without actual intentions to make a character gay is not fine (though, as a probably straight or asexual person I can't really comment on, nor do I exactly have the right to discuss the effects of gay baiting)

(I hope this makes sense, my brain isn't wording straight today)
Zunda-mochi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:16 am Reply with quote
As a bisexual Japanese X-gender here, I'm actually damn happy we ARE at least getting some kind of representation that isn't us getting mocked, degraded, and getting told we don't exist or are 'weird' here in Japan. I mean, recent awareness of being in the LGBTQIA spectrum is increasing here (even though we had that history for a REALLY long time but westernization ruined it...), so seeing that in anime is surreal but almost welcoming.
Like, I could complain and groan about some of the anime that just do the baiting thing (looking at you YOI and Symphogear!) as well as just bad representation (ex. much as I like Kabukicho Sherlock, I feel like that image of transwoman there is really outdated, even if there MIGHT be women there that look like that but... Haruna Ai is who I think of more) but what was listed here, with the exception of El-Meliol (EDIT: okay, someone else confirmed that, then I accept this!) and, I agree with.
Though Stars Align and Given were more better and a lot enjoyable LGBTQIA representation IMO. The former I'm REALLY bummed that it will never be completed not only due to whoever decided to pull the plug on this show, but because I want to know what's going to happen with Yu after what happened with him.

On the Promare bit: I say, it's both because Galo and Lio respect each other enough that they don't mind taking turns being the 'top' in all this since they're full of hot, burning passion all the same. Wink
Also, that pretty much was a kiss (of life), as someone on twitter who is an actual EMT confirmed that that wasn't CPR there. Anime hyper

Speaking as someone with a possible mental disability, I sort of interpreted that Galo might be ADHD like I am after I saw this movie multiple times: He's impulsive and dives head first into everything without thinking, is hyper-focused on ONE thing that interests him and won't stop until that's accomplished (ie saving people, especially Lio here...and evil-Kray to an extent...), very sympathetic and sensitive to people's emotions (he was the only one that immediately noticed the dragon Lio was in crying), as well as enthusiastic and highly energetic. But meanwhile he lacks focus on things that are not interesting (ex. the complicated explanation of the Promare made him SLEEP) and while people think he's dense and not bright, he has his own level of intelligence that he just does in his own way that would baffle a LOT of 'normal' people. Also, I feel like he might have time issues too which is consistent with ADHD symptoms, as in the beginning of the movie for a brief second, you see him in the FDPP vehicle sleeping when everyone comes in.

And yeah, unfortunately characters with certain disabilities that actually KEEP THAT disability and respectfully sensitive about it (mental or physical) in anime are rare and it's sometimes the 'they need a CURE to be NORMAL' message which doesn't sit with me (Yuki Yuna being one of them that miffed me really).
Zunda-mochi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
harminia wrote:

I apologize for making another post, but I just want to say that I agree with this because most media is VERY hetero-oriented that it's deemed 'normal' but as soon as something is interpreted as gay/not-straight we get some bad backlash and telling us it's 'all in our heads' when... you know... Straight media has done a lot of harm to us then 'good' really because it's telling us that cis, straight media is the only 'acceptable' things and everything else (or us even) isn't.
Which is pretty much why I just... roll my eyes and groan at another straight pairing because it's a 'been done before' deal.
Jin_Uzuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
Weird list. Akihiko instead the actual protagonist that goes through a bunch of development through the show (Or even Uenoyama).

Haven't finished maiden, but I liked Momoko for what I saw and I remember a pretty good use of body language to show her discomfort.

Reo and Mabu are a bit dry character-wise, but they are pretty interesting commentary on the industry (They confess so they need to be killed but then they come back because Ikuhara gives no fudge about censorship and producers telling him what to do) It was also interesting how much people couldn't accept their relationship until the last episodes and called it bait lol. Despite them having a spin-off in a BL manga!

Yu is awfully executed, after his episode his problems are never brought ever again and the show never addressed his cliffhanger either. Yes, the show is incomplete, but it doesn't change that he went form being in mortal peril to being completely fine in one episode and it's never addressed. Overall really a bad character.

Not really sure about the guys from Promare.

Waver is obvious but I'm sure at lot of people will claim he loves Iskandar as a father/brother/yada yada as it always happens when things aren't put in clear text.

I would have liked to see a mention of Kakeru and Haiji from Kaze given the last episodes and the last one in particular get pretty textual with a pseudo love confession.

gacha wrote:
Expected a real thought-out article, got a weird attempt to paint characters gay... because they have a few fujoushi-aimed fan-service scenes? Even for ANN this article is incredibly low quality.

The only people in that list that aren't confirmed are Waver (Whom if he was a girl we wouldn't even been having this discussion due to the amount of stuff type moon puts out about him and Iskandar) and the guys from Promare.

kotomikun wrote:

I dunno, given the most explicit relationships get no-homo'ed (Seriously Reo and Mabu had spin-off in a BL manga and people couldn't accept they were meant to be a couple) it's really just a matter of "I don't want X in my anime/manga". Even if two characters kiss it is often not enough for some people (I'm sure anyone who used the Internet when No.6 aired will remember some of the discussions that went down). When IBO and YoI aired and both had two gay pairings it was like watching blind people try to understand colors, they just couldn't understand the narrative and what was happening even if you explained it to them. You can generally see how they actually feel by the way they talk about these stuff (Like the dude in page 2 flipping about Waver's possible interest in Iskandar lol)
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:08 am Reply with quote
Not a single mention of Magne ?

I'm kinda shocked, you'd think with as popular MHA is that a show that goes so far as to have even the villans doing right by their comrade when society isn't would garner more attention than what this thread and article has shown.
Vycey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:45 am Reply with quote
Seems pretty weird to call out Fruits Basket for dated tropes then slip in a tired and worn "joke" about who tops between Lio and Galo. spoiler[The answer is Lio, but that's besides the point.]

I'm surprised Our Dreams at Dusk didn't have a paragraph or two. I won't go into spoilers - if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it - but the portrayal of an elderly gay couple and trans issues were both highlights in my opinion. Blue Flag is another manga I expected to see here. I know neither of them are animated, but still!

Last edited by Vycey on Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:47 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Not a single mention of Magne ?

I'm kinda shocked, you'd think with as popular MHA is that a show that goes so far as to have even the villans doing right by their comrade when society isn't would garner more attention than what this thread and article has shown.

Sadly, neither Magne nor Taiga were given much development or screentime within MHA and i think this list is looking at those that did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7