• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Log Horizon TV Anime Gets 3rd Season in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:22 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
It is great to hear this announcement for a third season but it is a little surprising to see this happen more than 6 years after the second season.

Chihayafuru just returned after a six-year hiatus. Maybe a trend?
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Does it really county as isekai when it's a video game?

In this case, absolutely. Especially considering the NPCs are actually real people who are citizens of that world. To say nothing of the game's lore right down to all of the item flavor text now being real. Rather than being trapped in a game, this series is more like being transported to another world based on a game's world where you have a bunch of game windows. Which leads me to...

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Log Horizon has always been one of my favorite VRMMO shows.

Elder Tale, the game they get isekai'ed into the world of, wasn't a VRMMO. It was a standard game played on a standard monitor.

WANNFH wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Does it really county as isekai when it's a video game?
Absolutely - it does not matter if the parallel world is real or virtual as long as characters transported and stuck there without the easy way to get back and moving between their own world and another one (the basis trope of the isekai genre as a whole). So essentially Log Horizon is belonged to isekai novels, no disputes there.

This one I wholeheartedly disagree with. I will never accept SAO as an isekai (Alicization notwithstanding). Heck, this definition would even make .hack//Sign an isekai (not .hack as a whole, just Sign). An anime where precisely one person in a coma basically gets AI'ed all to heck (when everyone else is fine). And that person isn't even technically the main character.
[And can I dispel another misconception about the .hack franchise while we're at it? Despite appearances, .hack is also not a VRMMO. It's also a standard game played on a standard monitor. However, in the world of that franchise, Head-Mounted Displays, or HMDs (NOT VR headsets), have started to gain popularity, so a subset of hardcore The World players have started using them. This doesn't even make the game VR, it just sticks a monitor in front of your eyes (I just had a minor flashback to Haseo getting told that it's rude not to have his character facing someone when they're talking to him just because he's looking at them on his monitor so it technically doesn't matter).]

P.S. Can I also mention that isekai do exist where characters are not stuck there?
P.P.S. Seriously, how long until people start unironically referring to logging into VR Chat as "getting isekai'ed" at that rate?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
Well that is cool but kind of wonder if theres going to be enough material for a full 2cours
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
This one I wholeheartedly disagree with. I will never accept SAO as an isekai (Alicization notwithstanding). Heck, this definition would even make .hack//Sign an isekai (not .hack as a whole, just Sign). An anime where precisely one person in a coma basically gets AI'ed all to heck (when everyone else is fine). And that person isn't even technically the main character.
SAO is actually not quite isekai, as it hanging in the middle of being between the tropes that are straight depict the genre. Along with Hack... it's complicated stuff.

Basically any isekai work relies on three staples:

— Having a world different from the world where a character or characters lives in. How much real or virtual it is, no matter.
— Transportation of characters to this world by some kind of event ("isekai tenni" works) or plain reincarnation ("isekai tensei" works)
— No straight two-way entrance (at least not before the certain events that usually lead to the ending) to get character transported from this new world to his world and back, which means characters essentially stuck in the new world and need to accept their life there — while finding the exit, if there is one.

Other things are flavor text, that three are the rules that depicts that work belongs or not to isekai genre. All three at the same time.

Quote:
P.S. Can I also mention that isekai do exist where characters are not stuck there?
If you thinking of something like GATE or Outbreak Company - they are not considered isekai at all, just straight fantasy. Depiction of having multiple parallel worlds in isekai, like spoiler[Shield Hero] can coexist though.

Quote:
Seriously, how long until people start unironically referring to logging into VR Chat as "getting isekai'ed" at that rate?
It's not about the just logging though, it's a matter of you being transported there and not unable to quit by usual meaning, with now being a part of this world. Thus, something like Bofuri or Infinite Dendrogram can't be considered isekai at all despite involving VRMMO worlds.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Any chance that the author will finish the novels in time for the third season to cover their ending?
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
— No straight two-way entrance (at least not before the certain events that usually lead to the ending) to get character transported from this new world to his world and back, which means characters essentially stuck in the new world and need to accept their life there — while finding the exit, if there is one.

That rules out Thermae Romae as an isekai, since the MC travels back and forth between imperial Rome and contemporary Japan. Does that make Thermae Romae a time-travel story and not an isekai? Like isekai stories, the MC in that show has no control over when he is sent to and from the other time.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Damn. First bit of news in a LONG while that's got me smiling.
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
About time Log Horizon made its return. One can only watch SAO for so long before wanting something with a bit more than what the mainstream fan base is trying to sell us. I look forward to the new season with tempered anticipation.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought the PCs were spoiler[basically game characters given consciousness and who possess the memories/personality of their players from our world, but who aren’t actually their players nor are they controlled by their players. In essence, they are replicas or simulacrum who were brought into existence in an alternate universe where the game world exists, but who otherwise exist independently of their players in our universe.]

I think that it could be called Isekai by only the loosest definition. Isekai, as commonly understood, implies a singular relationship between conscious existence in one world and in the other world; when a character goes to the other world, their conscious existence in the world they come from ceases, because either they’re unconscious, dead, or missing altogether. That is to say, the character never experiences life in both worlds concurrently. I mean that’s the feel I got 12 kingdoms, Fushigi Yuugi, Inu Yasha, and modern Isekai offerings (Shield Hero as much as I hate it). I have trouble with SAO and VRMMOs. I guess it depends, but SAO definitely feels more Isekai than Log Horizon.

yuna49 wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

That rules out Thermae Romae as an isekai, since the MC travels back and forth between imperial Rome and contemporary Japan. Does that make Thermae Romae a time-travel story and not an isekai? Like isekai stories, the MC in that show has no control over when he is sent to and from the other time.

What about Inuyasha? That is classic Isekai in my opinion. Falling into the well and then finding she has a connection to another world. I think it has more to do with a narrative that puts distance between the worlds, not the inability to travel between them. Also, I feel like the common thread in Isekai is that the characters don’t initially choose to enter the world. That is, it happens involuntarily or by accident.

Beyond arguing about that, I’m just hype for more Nyanta who is best boy.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:48 pm Reply with quote
First off, I'm absolutely delighted to hear this.

Quote:
]Well that is cool but kind of wonder if theres going to be enough material for a full 2cours

I wonder the same thing. Each book has five chapters, and thus far it's been a strict one-chapter-to-one-episode adaptation. If there was ever going to be any news, I didn't think it would happen until vol. 15 was done (providing another 25-episode season). OTOH, he hasn't posted a new chapter in quite some time, which could mean that the ball got rolling on this quite some time ago, and he was asked to keep writing but stop posting. Hopefully those new books will start rolling out in stores as the anime gets closer.

I do hope Touno manages to get a tighter grip on his story this time around. There was a feeling in season 2 that it was getting away from him. New characters kept getting added before we'd had time to get to know the last batch of new characters, and the plot was starting to look like a bit of a mess.

That said, I haven't gotten to that point in the books, and have wondered if this might be the fault of the chapter-to-episode adaptation rate. As in, more stuff started happening per chapter, to the point that one episode wasn't enough to do it all justice. Maybe someone further along in the books can shed some light on that.

Anyway, more Log Horizon! My day's off to a nice start!
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
It is great to hear this announcement for a third season but it is a little surprising to see this happen more than 6 years after the second season.

Chihayafuru just returned after a six-year hiatus. Maybe a trend?

Maybe we can get more Guin Saga, too?
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Yaaaaay! I'm so excited! Very Happy
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Kinda worried we won't get 2 cour. But this is NHK we're talking about, so 2 cour seems more likely.

Season 2 had narrative problems (being boring). But IIRC, it was because the novels they adapted all happened during the same time frame.

The anime chose to portray things chronologically rather than doing back-and-forth storytelling because it would be confusing, considering there were around 3 main plotlines going on throughout 24 episodes.

The end of season 2 was still satisfying though. It ended on a good spot.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that is cool but kind of wonder if theres going to be enough material for a full 2cours

Maintaining the pace of the first two seasons (well the major arcs), it seems so. It's fairly slow.
partially

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
However, in the world of that franchise, Head-Mounted Displays, or HMDs (NOT VR headsets), have started to gain popularity, so a subset of hardcore The World players have started using them. This doesn't even make the game VR, it just sticks a monitor in front of your eyes.

You are confusing something very simple. VR already exists and has been around for 50 odd years. VR simply refers to creating a simulated reality, all computer games and simulations are a form of VR. You seem to be thinking that VR is solely a "full-dive" type of thing and that is completely incorrect. HMDs can correctly be called VR headsets as many of them are solely used to access VR worlds. Whether you use a monitor, HMD, sensory kit or stick a cable in your brain, they are simply the assorted ways to access VR worlds. They are not VR in and of themselves, they are but devices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4