• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Digimon Adventure:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
They mentioned Leomon a few weeks agao and my first thought was they need a timer labeled “Countdown To Leomon Getting Killed Off Again.” I swear Leomon is the Sean Bean of Digimon.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It's a real shame. I thought the first episode of this little three-episode arc was actually really good, maybe the best episode in the series yet; the second episode was enjoyable, not great but obviously just building up to the conclusion; and then this episode... might be the worst one in the series, and is definitely the most disappointing. Incredibly dragged out, lots of long shots of Takeru and Hikari that ended up being nothing, Omegamon just being an "I win" button that shows up with no explanation, and also some of the worst animation the series has seen yet. This might be the point where I stop watching this weekly and just wait to see if anybody says it gets better.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
Definitely the weakest episode in the series, I don't know why they felt they had to add this Mega evolution foe at this point. Defeating Orochimon was a decent cap-off to the Perfect Evolution arc, and that fight could've ended the exact same way, with digi-tokyo getting deleted and the kids getting yeeted to another dimension or whatever, because otherwise the status quo didn't change at all. They could've justified the decision if this last crisis had brought Takeru and Hikari to the digital world, but that didn't even happen and i'm really starting to wonder where they're going with, keeping them in the real world and without even meeting their partners for so long. It's ironic that they've basically fast-forwarded all the way to Omegamon twice now (with very middling execution) but in nearly 20 episodes Takeru and Hikari haven't even met their digimons.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:29 am Reply with quote
I still enjoy the reboot as a whole and I'll still keep watching but I agree this is the weakest episode so far. The reveal of the Mega level Digimon should be this big exciting moment especially after the hype they built up from last week but instead it just felt tedious, predictable, and not even well animated to look at. My biggest frustration with bringing in Omegamon again is that he didn't feel needed when they didn't even try to evolve any of the other kids' Digimon first or even bring in Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon which have always been two of my favorite evolved forms for Agumon and Gabumon.

I'm also starting to get frustrated with the way the show keeps dragging out the big reveals with Takeru and Hikari. There's no reason why they've kept them out of the action this long when the audience knows they're going to become Digidestined eventually. And when they finally confront Devimon at the end of the episode, it ends up feeling anticlimatic as well, and I don't know how the show is going to use him as an effective villain now when he's champion level and all the Digimon already have their ultimate level forms.

I feel like with this reboot I enjoy the show more when they're on the journey because then there's some character interaction than when we have this episode long battles like this especially when they can't animate them better. I'm not sure why Toei shows seem to have this animation quality problem to them when they're not like a poor studio or anything. Almost every modern Toei show seems to eventually have this problem and they need to get their act together. I am hopeful next week will be better because it's back to the journey formula again and we're finally getting to see spoiler[Leomon and I'm genuienly curious to see if they'll break his curse of always dying in every Digimon media.]
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:52 am Reply with quote
How they've been treating Omega in recent memory is pretty dissapointing. When it originally would show up, it used to a big deal. Now, you know its going to show up. I'm hoping that they're getting it out of the system now early on rather than just relying it on as an "I Win" card.

If anything, I do hope this is the last time we see it for a good while given spoiler[Valdurmon was pretty much on his last legs. ] Nidhoggmon was pretty under utilized for something based on the devourer of the World Tree, not to mention the official art is excellent. I do wonder if the fallout spoiler[ie possible appearance of Ghoulmon/Deathmon] might be hinting at how the show's going to go.

Possible not 1/1 in terms of villians? Possibly utilizing the Dark Area proper? spoiler[7 Demon Lords as an actual enemy faction with individual characters with each of the duos getting an opponent? ]

Still betting on Patamon spoiler[being Devimon after he gets his butt whooped] though.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Let’s see so far Leomon has been killed off of Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers, twice in Digimon Savers from my understanding, Digimon Tri, and One-Punch Man. So anyone wanna place bets?
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Let’s see so far Leomon has been killed off of Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers, twice in Digimon Savers from my understanding, Digimon Tri, and One-Punch Man. So anyone wanna place bets?

It's a fools bet but he's gonna make it this time....
Gwydion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
It's a fools bet but he's gonna make it this time....

I legitimately hope you are right.

As for this episode, while I wouldn't say that it had tons of character development or anything, I think the review still sells it a bit short. Personally I felt there were some nice subtle moments for Yamato, at least, with Taichi sharing in one of those. As his character is very reserved, little moments stand out more.

It took him a lot longer than everyone else to start caring about the rest of the group, so it was nice seeing a moment of genuine relief flash across his face when he realized the other kids were ok. He hadn't really shown any outward concern up to that point for the fact that they were missing. He also specifically asked about how Neemon's group was doing, and also seemed relieved to hear they were ok too, which was a nice follow up to the previous episode where he refused to acknowledge any concern for them. And of course at the end we really start to see a chink in his emotional armor with the reveal of Takeru, though hopefully there's more of it next episode.

As for Taichi and him not having any tension between them, I'm glad of it in this instance. If you think about it, they really haven't known each other that long: 1.) eps 2-3 Yamato agrees to work with him begrudgingly, 2.) ep 8 Yamato trusts him enough to handle the rest of the kids but still goes to attack the fortress alone, 3.) before they split up there is some slight tension between them, but ultimately Yamato goes along with Taichi's "plan", and 4.) they meet back up and this time Yamato merely tells Taichi that facing Eyesmon will be dangerous before it's clear that he has come to trust him. I really liked the silent communication between them in this episode, proving that they don't even need words at this point; they are on the same page. This felt like the peak of their partnership that the previous episodes were all building toward. It would have been odd if they were suddenly not working well together after the way they've progressed.

That being said I am seriously hoping that Takeru will throw a wrench into things. I don't need them at each other's throats, but everyone always getting along does get stale, and this seems like the perfect time to change things up, right when they've settled into a rhythm together. And Takeru seems like the perfect catalyst.
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

Leomon also died in Frontier. Agunimon took down an IceLeomon/Panjyamon.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
This episode was a lot better than last week. I feel like this reboot works better when the characters are on a journey than an episode long battle where there's more room for some character interaction. I'm surprised the kids are already spoiler[back in the real world which felt both like a big surprise but was also revealed in a kind of anticlimactic way. I also worry they're moving the kids back to the real world to push them into the background for even more emphasis being given to Taichi and Yamato. ] It was great to see Leomon again and I'm glad they brought back his original seiyuu for the role. I think he'll be around for at least the rest of the arc if they do end up offing him again. Also Agumon riding on top of Gararumon was really adorable. The ending really shocked me but after last week I'm keeping my hype measured for what direction they're going in with this. But if they keep going like this I can forgive the reboot for one especially lousy episode.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This episode was a lot better than last week. I feel like this reboot works better when the characters are on a journey than an episode long battle where there's more room for some character interaction. I'm surprised the kids are already spoiler[back in the real world which felt both like a big surprise but was also revealed in a kind of anticlimactic way. I also worry they're moving the kids back to the real world to push them into the background for even more emphasis being given to Taichi and Yamato. ] It was great to see Leomon again and I'm glad they brought back his original seiyuu for the role. I think he'll be around for at least the rest of the arc if they do end up offing him again. Also Agumon riding on top of Gararumon was really adorable. The ending really shocked me but after last week I'm keeping my hype measured for what direction they're going in with this. But if they keep going like this I can forgive the reboot for one especially lousy episode.

This is not Digimon, this is The Taichi and Yamato show. Toei loves Taichi and Yamato but Toei hates other Digi-destined kids, so Toei make them dirty.
SilvaStreamer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:18 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This episode was a lot better than last week. I feel like this reboot works better when the characters are on a journey than an episode long battle where there's more room for some character interaction. I'm surprised the kids are already spoiler[back in the real world which felt both like a big surprise but was also revealed in a kind of anticlimactic way. I also worry they're moving the kids back to the real world to push them into the background for even more emphasis being given to Taichi and Yamato. ]

I think they're switching things up because in OG spoiler[it was Taichi who made a temp trip back to the real world to meet up with Hikari]. Perhaps the producers want the other kids to interact with Hikari some more this time since she joined very late in OG and was always paired together with her bro and Takeru. I feel like this will open more room for character development for the other 4 kids by having them back on the real world.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
As someone who loves Frontier and all too often sees it getting ripped on, I, for one, was thrilled to see Velgemon (and Calmaramon who's wrecking havoc in the Network)! I thought he was appropriately imposing and cool, though it would have been nice if he'd survived the episode. Still, I found it extremely easy to separate this one from the Frontier version and was just happy to see him.

As for Angemon, there's no doubt that the whole sacrificing himself thing had less impact than in the original, but I thought it worked out really well here regardless. The series has really been hyping up the Holy Digimon for a long time now, and we had seen him imprisoned, and even once free he was still somehow wounded (as evidenced by the mark on his arm). And yet he shows up, instantly protects Takeru while also knocking Velgemon out of the sky, and gives the others enough of a boost to take him down, sacrificing what power he had left to do it. I mean, that's pretty great for an injured escapee. I thought it did a good job driving home the point of how uniquely powerful these Holy Digimon we'd been waiting to see for so long were.

And - surprise, surprise - I could not possibly disagree more on Yamato, but I'm becoming a broken record at this point on that topic, so I'll simply say that I think he easily has the best development by this point.

I enjoyed this episode, but honestly not as much as I'd hoped. I really wish we'd gotten some more out of Takeru, the pacing was a bit weird at times, and Velgemon made too good of a threat to throw away in one episode. But Yamato was great, WereGarurumon riding a missile was fun (the first time), the little we saw of Sora and Koushirou gave us some interesting glimpses of stuff to be explored later, and the introduction of our first Holy Digimon was suitably impressive. Next episode's preview has me worried again, though, not gonna lie (do they really need another power boost already?).
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Gwydion wrote:
Next episode's preview has me worried again, though, not gonna lie (do they really need another power boost already?).

I'd say yes but that's only because we've already broken the power scaling of the show pretty badly. I didn't mind the first use of Omegamon but we've seen him too much too early now and it really devalued the Champion / Ultimate / Mega forms. That coupled with how they blundered with those levels appropriate power scaling isn't good either.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
I'd say yes but that's only because we've already broken the power scaling of the show pretty badly. I didn't mind the first use of Omegamon but we've seen him too much too early now and it really devalued the Champion / Ultimate / Mega forms. That coupled with how they blundered with those levels appropriate power scaling isn't good either.

I definitely see what you're saying, and completely agree about being ok with Omegamon initially but much less so after the second time. But I'm already tired of constantly seeing "x digimon wins because power boost". They have shown that these kids are capable of strategizing (even if they're relatively simple strategies), but it's getting to the point where that seems, well, pointless if the only thing that actually wins the day is a higher evolution or powering up their digivices/crests.

At this point I think I, personally, would rather see lower levels taking down higher levels than power levels constantly climbing higher and higher because of conveniently well-timed boosts.

Also, maybe with Angemon now an egg, Omegamon is already off the table for the time being? Am I being too hopeful with that thought? lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9