• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club: Amazon Delists Some Light Novels, Manga on Kindle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
3 more light novels from J-Novel Club were removed from Amazon Kindle today. Lazy Dungeon Master volume 8, Wild Times with a Fake Fake Princess volume 1, and Mixed Bathing in Another Dimension volume 5. http://twitter.com/jnovelclub/status/1284193053142650892

I'm beginning to think someone at Amazon just has it out for light novels and is trying to purge them slowly to avoid suspicion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
NGNL is currently still available on Book Depository... an Amazon subsidiary as far as I know. Rolling Eyes
Apparently it's been removed from there as well.

Under the general political and economic climate back in, say, 1945-1980 (i.e. before Ronnie Raygun stopped enforcing anti-trust law), one company wouldn't have been allowed to amass this much market power by acquiring this many potential competitors.

This goes for a lot of other things that anime viewers complain about, like low-paid translators/animators/etc., or allegedly anti-consumer exclusive licensing practices -- they're largely a result of businesses having more say in the arrangement of our society than workers and consumers do. So maybe anime viewers should rethink their support of right-wing politicians based on the culture wars against feminists and others who advocate for a more just society. Support conservative governments, expect conservative results.
melmouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
From now on I resolve to BUY my anime and manga from TheRightStuf!

I may still look at the reviews on Amazon first.

And kudos to Zalis116, just above, for identifying the fundamental underlying problem with our media markets. If nothing is done, it'll keep getting worse.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Support conservative governments, expect conservative results.

That is not really the problem. Liberalism can just be as bad when it comes censorship.

Conservatives censor and ban, because they are horrified or offended it exists.

Liberals censor and ban, because they are protecting us from ourselves. They know better than us.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:01 am Reply with quote
Zalis116, since you brought it up: Who actually owns these companies that you decry as being too powerful? Bezos is a liberal. Gates and Ballmer are both liberals (though they no longer run Microsoft, of course). The guys who run Facebook, Twitter, and a host of other socializing tools? Most, if not all, are liberals. Media and entertainment companies have consolidated, too, and they are almost entirely run by liberals.

So, who is actually banning these books? Liberal companies like Amazon are. Trying to twist it around and blame Reagan, who was president nearly 40 years ago, is just disingenuous, IMO.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:23 am Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
I am of the mindset that billion dollar corporations shouldn't be the ones that decide what media people can and cannot consume

I hear you, but they're not deciding what you can and can't consume; rather, they're deciding what you can and can't consume from them. They are not forcibly preventing anyone else from selling these works or you from buying the somewhere else. It sucks, and as the biggest game in town this will negatively affect artists and publishers, but Amazon isn't preventing you from consuming any content. They are not a monopoly and they are not an agent of the government.

Big companies like Amazon regularly absorb or destroy smaller companies. That's how they function within American style laissez faire capitalism. When a company has that much power they do fact in fact control what media I can and can't consume.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
K.o.R wrote:
NGNL is currently still available on Book Depository... an Amazon subsidiary as far as I know. Rolling Eyes
Apparently it's been removed from there as well.

Good thing I ordered the most recent 3 volumes already then Confused
Weasalopes
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I just became aware of all of this due to discovering that the High School DxD Manga & LNs had been pulled from Rakuten Kobo's US site. I can still read the copies I purchased, but if I attempt to look them up on the sales platform I get a generic message saying the item is not available for purchase, which also means I can't look at any of the external information concerning the items in my account that had been provided via the sales platform. So if I click upon them in My Account, I get zip info.

Of course, that means that I can't remove the pre-orders for volumes 2 & 3 of the LN from within My Account since you have to do so through the sales module...and Kobo didn't scrub that aspect of things when they removed them from sale this time around.

Amazon is the same...except that the third volume of the LN is available for pre-order; my presumption is that's only until they realize it's part of the series that they list it as being part of...
Barnes & Noble (NOOK) still has the Manga at this time, but not the LN.
GooglePlay only has the first two volumes of the LN.

Kobo & GooglePlay both have the German Language editions available as digital media through their US portals.

So the digital venues I've favored since they allowed me to download the content to my desktop for offline reading have all removed them in regard to further purchases.

For J-Novel Club, if I bump up to purchasing their premium editions I can get them directly from them. Yen doesn't sell digital directly to end purchasers; hardcopy they will.

MAL won't let you download the content they sell; you have to be online.
Book*Walker also you have to be online.
NOOK, since they changed their website enough that the old PC program (not the app) can't establish a handshake to exchange the information required to install or download, with the app you have to jump through some hoops to download for offline accessibility, plus not all of their ePubs were readable via the PC app in the first place.

Dunno about Apple, haven't dealt with them.
But for a number of these titles, if you want a digital edition available offline on your PC, it's getting grim.

I'd shifted to digital to downsize my physical footprint; had no option, really, due to where I moved.
Some of these are gonna have to go back to hardcopy, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7