• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: act-age Volume 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I heartily enjoy this series. I read it on Viz.com, I bought/pre-ordered the volumes as they released, but I also don't know if I would call this series remarkable. I find it solid, fun, enjoyable, and I think Yonagi is one of the most down-to-earth protagonists I've seen in a good long while outside of a romance manga. But for me, this scratches the itch that Skip Beat! started and then sidelined, or the same one that Glass Mask used to scratch back when it had a vibrant scanlation community. Apparently I just really, really like acting-as-sports-manga. And while this series has yet to dive headfirst into the exploitative nature of the entertainment industry (I do think it's angling to highlight and subtly critique some of the demands the industry places on its most prominent members), I do like that Yonagi's method acting is always treated cautiously; it reminds me of articles I read about Broadway stars who need time to decompress between who they were acting and who they actually are, and I think it's a novel touch.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm still shocked this kind of manga exists in Weekly Shounen Jump of all things (FEMALE main lead, a good number of female supporting characters yet to be seen, premise all about acting?!), and I hope it'll continue to grow into popularity with an anime adaptation with a reputable staff. I essentially got into Act-age in a middle of an arc and got quite hooked some of the performance dramatics as well as some inside look of an actor's world.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
If it is any consolation, this, if anything, proves, you can't judge an author on his or her works...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1