• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Log Horizon Anime's 3rd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OddJobsKatsura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
OddJobsKatsura wrote:
HiDive still has the first season.

Link? I can't seem to find it. Only getting season two in search results.

Edit: Found it. I stand corrected.

Edit 2: It has been taken down from HiDive after all. At least in the US. I tried to play the first episode out of curiosity since I couldn't add season one to my favorites; and was hit with a "Your region is not supported at this time" message.

I went on the HiDive channel on VRV and it works for me.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm a little concerned about the dub, though I still hope they will bring back the existing cast and this might increase the chances of a simuldub.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't mean that the end of Sentai is coming sooner than anticipated. I understand this is business, but this is a jerk move by Funimation. I hope Sentai can still license future Made in Abyss sequels.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I hope this doesn't mean that the end of Sentai is coming sooner than anticipated. I understand this is business, but this is a jerk move by Funimation. I hope Sentai can still license future Made in Abyss sequels.

How is this a "jerk move"? Sentai doesn't have dibs on every season of LH for eternity. Its always a bidding war. Funi just won this one. It happens. Happened to Funi with Mushi-Shi, Hell Girl, Takagi-san, Saiki K., and Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Sentai's either going to get bought out or go under at the rate their licenses are going... they seem to ONLY get sequels nowadays, and from the looks of things they can't even maintain that.
I don't understand why they haven't licensed any Amazon titles in awhile, people would kill to have Vinland Saga on Blu-Ray. And on the subject of Funimation, sequels to their shows, Rage of Bahamut and Psycho-Pass on there. There is also Crunchyroll, they recently released Granbelm, so more of their titles could make their way to home video.And they could also provide more dubs for Netflix.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
Sentai's either going to get bought out or go under at the rate their licenses are going... they seem to ONLY get sequels nowadays, and from the looks of things they can't even maintain that.
I don't understand why they haven't licensed any Amazon titles in awhile, people would kill to have Vinland Saga on Blu-Ray. And on the subject of Funimation, sequels to their shows, Rage of Bahamut and Psycho-Pass on there. There is also Crunchyroll, they recently released Granbelm, so more of their titles could make their way to home video.And they could also provide more dubs for Netflix.

They may not have the money to get the Amazpn shows. And on the subject of Netflix, they have their own studios to dub those shows. Why use Sentai?
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
They may not have the money to get the Amazpn shows. And on the subject of Netflix, they have their own studios to dub those shows. Why use Sentai?

Netflix does not dub shows internally. They have an entire network of third party partners they produce foreign language versions with. Admittedly, their anime dubs are very unadventorous, historically utilizing a small handful of studios in Southern California with the same talent pool you hear in stuff from Aniplex and Viz. However, last year something weird happened. Two of their originals were recorded at Sentai Studios: 7Seeds and Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya.

I don't know if we're going to see more of that, though. Netflix is currently in an agreement with SAG-AFTRA requiring every single one of their productions done in the United States to use union talent. This applied to dubbing work, too. Few, if any, of the dubs produced in Texas are unionized. It's also not clear if Netflix themselves hire those dub studios, or if that's the responsibility of the show's producers. It's possible that Saint Seiya was given to Sentai through Toei, as they previously worked with them on doing VO and mocap on the CG Captain Harlock.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
I don't understand why they haven't licensed any Amazon titles in awhile

Sentai released After the Rain in June.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
I don't understand why they haven't licensed any Amazon titles in awhile

Sentai released After the Rain in June.
Oh yeah you are right, I forget that was streamed on Amazon, maybe there is hope. I don't care if it gets dubbed or not, I just want to own Dororo on Blu-Ray.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
While HiDive and CR have S2 still up, anyone wanting to watch S1 in sub or dub AnimeLab has them. Seems Madman licensed it before the Aniplex acquisition
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm sure Funimation will try and keep the dub cast consistent but this sucks for Sentai.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Cant help but wonder if this had more to do with the japanese publishers than with Funimation being underhanded. Maybe they were unhappy or couldnt reach a license extension agreement with sentai. It's been rare these last few years for funimation to steal a sequel season of a show from someone else.
lazydude500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
As some have already stated, many of the Sentai dub cast have worked on other Funimation dubs before, so in theory most of them could return; the issue is if Funimation cares or will simply hire whoever is available from their own home studios with the setups they've been sending out...

Best case scenario they bring back Kyle Jones as the ADR Director and then he can work with the same voice cast, and some make their Funimation dub debut like Mike Yager, Jovan Jackson and Maggie Flecknoe; their characters are pretty important (I assume someday they will appear in One Piece anyway for new arcs)

Yes he's a ADV/Sentai guy, but AFAIK all non-union anime work is freelance.

Seraphim Digital is/was associated with ADV/Sentai but since they started doing stuff in-house at "Sentai Studios" technically Seraphim Digital is an independent studio like Chris Sabat's Okratron5000. Maybe Funimation can just outsource the dub to Seraphim Digital? Easier for Houston people to record and the hourly pay is the same regardless (not like outsourcing to LA or New York which is more expensive)

If Funimation is going to give fans a lazily produced and slow (because of COVID) simuldub IMO they should just not do a simuldub. Wait until all episodes are available and then record everything altogether for better quality and be better organized.

If Kyle Jones isn't an option, hopefully Mike McFarland is available. I have mixed opinions on some of his dubs but I do appreciate the effort and care he invests. He's basically the go-to guy for working with out of towners.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
As a Log Horizon fan, this is a surprise to me that Funimation got s3 and not Sentai but I suspect Sentai's rights might be expiring after season one left Crunchyroll. While it is a little concerning that Sentai wasn't able to renew one of their bigger titles, I don't think this is as dire of an issue for Sentai as people are making it out to be. Most anime licenses only last five to seven years. The first season of Log Horizon came out way back in 2013 and it's been seven years since then so it's around on schedule for their rights to expire. As others have pointed out, Funimation has also recently lost shows to their competitors like Netflix getting Saki K and Amazon getting Psycho Pass s3.

While there is cause for concern, I don't think being doom and gloom about Sentai's fate is helpful at this point as they still have shows coming out on BD like Ahiru no Sora, When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace, Granbelm, and they recently signed a deal with Crunchyroll. Sentai also recently got season three of Is The Order a Rabbit? and they have recently released the Made in Abyss movie. I do think Sentai should be more aggressive in picking up titles especially a lot of that Amazon backlog as some Amazon shows have started to expire recently like The Great Passage, but they are still doing the best they can under the current circumstances of the industry. Personally I'm not really a big fan of the Log Horizon dub myself speaking as someone who generally likes dubs. It was fine but it was also kind of monotonous to me especially compared to Sentai's more recent dubbing work. But I hope for the fans of the dub Funimation can at least bring back as much of the cast as possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2