• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Edits in Inu Yasha

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:25 pm Reply with quote
So DraZtic wrote:
(dis is my first post)

Welcome DrZtic,

Although it isn't mentionned in "Teh Rules," it would be greately appreciated if you took the time to type out what you have to say.

It's hard to take people seriously when they aren't willing to put any time or energy into typing complete words.

I probably should add this to the rules.

-t
shamanqueen302

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I think adult swim is only part true.

I saw from an episode screencap from the subtitled inuyasha where he cussed, and on adult swim, he never did say that word.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:20 pm Reply with quote
shamanqueen302 wrote:
I think adult swim is only part true.

I saw from an episode screencap from the subtitled inuyasha where he cussed, and on adult swim, he never did say that word.

i refer you to my earlier post.

Most people prefer having dubs match (at least roughly) with lip-flaps. Subtitles do not need to respect lip-flaps, because you read the subtitle at your own pace, or even finishing it before the person is done talking.

Additionally, there are variances in how the Japanese and English languages are spoken. We require certain things in our sentences that can be omitted in part or in whole in Japanese. As such, a subtitle track can capture these nuances, but to say them in English would require additional lipflap time, which the anime does not give.

So, when things need to be adapted for a dub (with words selected to fit the lip-flap) sometimes parts of the sentence are dropped. Also, there are numerous ways to translate Japanese swears and insults -- what one translator felt was swearing might not be considered a swear by another, or might be different altogether. Additionally, some translators remove swearing because it really isn't really strong enough to be considered a swear.

The alternative to editing the dub script so that it fits the lipflap is to use software to speed up the spoken dialog without changing the pitch, so that the lines fit in the lip-flap... You can speed up the speech by trimming small parts of it. If you trim too much, however, you'll distort the sound and ruin what's being said. They _ARE_ dealing with very tiny amounts of time, ya know.

Kyle (or anyone else) is not particularly interested in the differences between the subtitle track and the dub track -- it's a FACT that there will be differences. We're concerned about the differences between the DVD dub and the broadcast dub ONLY.

[EDIT - Grammatical fix. Oops. -C]

Last edited by cookie on Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
So DraZtic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:11 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
So DraZtic wrote:
(dis is my first post)

Welcome DrZtic,

Although it isn't mentionned in "Teh Rules," it would be greately appreciated if you took the time to type out what you have to say.

It's hard to take people seriously when they aren't willing to put any time or energy into typing complete words.

I probably should add this to the rules.

-t

sorry about that...i was in a rush and everything
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:35 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Kyle (or anyone else) is particularly interested in the differences between the subtitle track and the dub track -- it's a FACT that there will be differences. We're concerned about the differences between the DVD dub and the broadcast dub ONLY.

Viz makes its dub specifically for television broadcast, something I've verified with eight of the "Inuyasha" DVDs so far. As far as differences between the DVD and broadcast versions of "Inuyasha", there have only been and more than likely will only be visual edits.
drakh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

Additionally, there are variances in how the Japanese and English languages are spoken.

And some dialog that sounds awkward or just plain stupid when spoken in English.

Quote:
The alternative to editing the dub script so that it fits the lipflap is to use software to speed up the spoken dialog without changing the pitch, so that the lines fit in the lip-flap... You can speed up the speech by trimming small parts of it.

Or you can just have the VAs speak really fast, like was common in "ancient" dubs.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:07 pm Reply with quote
drakh wrote:

Or you can just have the VAs speak really fast, like was common in "ancient" dubs.

my understand that Ocean Group, Which dubs Inu Yasha, uses Word Fit which helps the dialoge fit in the lip flaps with out speed talking, Like the ancient dubs, just goes to prove that anti-dubber sterotypes are still out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:38 pm Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
drakh wrote:

my understand that Ocean Group, Which dubs Inu Yasha, uses Word Fit which helps the dialoge fit in the lip flaps with out speed talking, Like the ancient dubs, just goes to prove that anti-dubber sterotypes are still out there.

I believe that the Ocean Group doesn't use Word Fit anymore, or at least not as much as they used to. I haven't seen any credits for Word Fit on any of their more recent series such as "SoulTaker" or "Inuyasha".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2