• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: Sony 'Nears Acquisition' of Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
It's amazing that this site went from profiting off fansubs and piracy to being owned by WarnerMedia to being owned by the largest behemoth in the global anime business. They paid zero consequences for their past. But anyway.

If anybody was going to buy them, it was going to be Sony. There's no other player in anime with such global reach and deep pockets.

But boy, HIDIVE is screwed.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
So one company owns everything?

r/whatcouldgowrong ?

Not one, but two given Netflix’s intention to control material from conception. And all the smaller distributors will have to fall in line behind the big two.

Battle lines are being drawn, alliances are being formed, and the big loser is probably Toonami.
bennyl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
Less competition is always worse, but ATT has to unload anything they can at this point. Crunchyroll was getting sold, period. There was ever only going to be two companies interested, Sony and China (I know technically China isn't a company, but since the CCP would have to sign off, they might as well be). Sony is a much better solution than Tencent or some other Chinese conglomerate was going to be. I think it could be a net positive for Crunchyroll, as I suspect Crunchyroll will end up the subtitle brand and Funimation as the dub brand. Keep in mind, Crunchyrolls value isn't in it's library. It's in its subscriber count. Sony isn't going to intentionally damage the brand. However, sometimes the road to hell is paved in good intentions.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
While I can't say I'm happy Sony seems to be trying to get a monopoly on anime, the fact they allowed what was essentially a sex scene in The Last of Us 2 to slip through at least has me think they won't be as censor happy as everyone thinks they'll be.

Part of the problem has been that Sony is inconsistent on what it allows. Last of Us 2 was anything but a slip considering Sony published it. Big budget games developed in the West seem to get a pass, but smaller games, especially those in anime-style, are still getting censored on Playstation. It's become enough of a problem that some studios have opted to skip or cancel PS4 versions.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Disney doesn’t need anime. They have more than enough original material and the medium doesn’t fit their image. At most you’ll see Hulu tighten up its offerings.

Anime doesn’t fit their image, you say? What about Doraemon? That show is aimed towards family audiences, and Viz still has the license to that here in the States if I recall.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Is this really bad? If it's really bad, should we worried about it? Anyway, monopoly is bad.

Waiting is the answer.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
This is amazingly bad. I wonder if Sony will go after RightStuf next, just to control home video distribution in the market?
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
Great. Just what we need. MORE censored and Shonen Jump Weekly friendly anime. I really need that.

I don't see any good coming from this.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
kamen_otaku81 wrote:
Great. Just what we need. MORE censored and Shonen Jump Weekly friendly anime. I really need that.

I don't see any good coming from this.

It's a different Sony subsidiary who bought Crunchyroll, it's not Sony Entertainment.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
Does everyone forget how big of an ecchi catalog Funi actually has? Lots of them were big sellers for them, and they never really stopped doing them. I know everyone uses Interspecies Reviewers as an example, but that was kind of an exception.

Funimation kind of has always allowed for WAY MORE than what the video game division has allowed.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
Weird Guy wrote:
well RIP good dubs from Crunchroll. Sony will very likely to do the same thing as they are doing with funimation dubs in my country...
Given Crunchyroll access worldwide, it's more likely that they would use the dubbing studios used from Crunchyroll to their dubs.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote
I know it’s a different subsidiary, but I still worry. Who is to say that this Sony subsidiary won’t start mimicking their ridiculous policies one day? Fanservice games weren’t big moneymakers, but everything was fine on PlayStation too until they randomly decided they hate fanservice. But only in anime games of course.
TigerOnTheProwl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
I can see Sony using Funimation for North American market and Crunchyroll for the rest of the world.

That's one way to avoid competition between the two services.

I find that unlikely. I think Sony is more likely to simply extend Funi's service to different areas of the world. Then they'd be making money all over the world with both services. Or maybe they'll just consolidate both services into a single entity. Also unlikely, but possible.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Crunchyroll is already legal for 10 years and have paid $100M in royalties. You still haven't moved on?

I'm just marveling that they could leave their shady-as-hell past behind them.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
I don't think they'll be completely merging Crunchy and Funi. Both have their unique brand identities, Crunchy even having its Originals. That said, I do think that they might start offering some kind of 2-in-1 subscription bundle.

I see people are worried about censorship. I'm aware that Funi has censored stuff, in the past at least, but that doesn't mean the same will happen to every Sony-owned anime service, especially if the two are not merged and Crunchy stays as what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8