• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament - Nominations - Voting Period

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little jammed right now, but I'll try to hop on this as soon as I can. Do we only nominate one character at a time or can we do multiple suggestions at once?

Spoiler alert: I will be giving Spike a +1.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
You should exclude Saitama (One-Punch Man) from this tournament. The way his character is written is just too overpowered, which I understand is the point, and I love it.

But he literally can't be beat, kills things in one to several punches, saves the day *all* the freaking time(!), takes the blame for others, and has zero ego about it. By that logic, I feel there's absolutely no one who should be able to compete with him. I don't know of any other ridiculously invincible characters, so I'm just gonna' leave him as the lone exception.

Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I have multiple nominations to add, and I will start with Reiner Braun from Attack on Titan.

He literally can't die. Period. The only way he could be harmed/die is if he himself allows it. I think this is enough for him to qualify. He's also one of the ten characters that received the highest scores during the training period. He is willing to protect those he cares about, regardless of the circumstances.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm a little jammed right now, but I'll try to hop on this as soon as I can. Do we only nominate one character at a time or can we do multiple suggestions at once?

Spoiler alert: I will be giving Spike a +1.

Nominate as many as you want in a post. Maybe try to keep it manageable for viewing purposes. So like 4-5 per post.

As for Saitama Tony, I'm of 2 minds. On the one hand I agree. He's simply invincible so that would theoretically mean he's a shoe in. However, this is the Biggest Badass tournament, not the most powerful character tournament. To me being a badass, in terms of how we'll probably base our votes, does not simply mean you don't lose. It's also about attitude. Swagger. Honestly, Saitama is quite lacking in that department. He's a bit boring. Which is on purpose and contrasts all the other super eager heroes and villains. Personally I would vote for at least 3 others over him right off the top of my head from his series alone. I can think of a lot of others I would vote over him from other series. Characters like Revy from Black Lagoon, Saito from Kenshin, or Kenpachi from Bleach.

I'll leave it up to the majority if he makes it in or not. See what everyone thinks. I would bet he makes it past 1 or 2 rounds, but I would not shoe him in to the championship rounds for each bracket, or the overall finals.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
To me being a badass, in terms of how we'll probably base our votes, does not simply mean you don't lose. It's also about attitude. Swagger. Honestly, Saitama is quite lacking in that department. He's a bit boring. Which is on purpose and contrasts all the other super eager heroes and villains.

True. And if he were to lose in a popularity contest, then it's just a testament to his character, because he wouldn't care, anyway! Very Happy

In that case, whether he's nominated or not, purely from a popularity perspective, is fine. But if we're gonna' factor in the A) kicks ass, and B) best at what they do, (which is a whole can of worms when you get into a character's physics, writing, and intent), then I say just forego those and stick with C) badass attitude. Try to nominate or vote based on their attitudes, which I feel would be much easier to express and verbally personify, rather than figuring out the former.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I think for all intents and purposes for Biggest Badass we should all focus on the badass attitude first and foremost. Their actions will play into that as a supporting role in essence to show how they have or have not proved they are a badass.

Think of Saitama in another way. On sheer power alone it would be hard to out vote Ultra Instinct Goku. Hell, I'd argue Krillin is more powerful than Saitama by DB Super. Can Saitama destroy the planet? So on power level Goku is basically god. Literally as they called the damn new transformation SS God. Yet you would be hard pressed to find many people who would say Goku is a bigger badass than Vegeta. Or even Tien. I think most over powered shonen and shonen-esque leads fall into that category. They may be the most powerful, but not the most badass. Ichigo is not gonna beat Kenpachi in a badass matchup anymore than Luffy would beat Zoro or Sanji. Etc.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I have two kids now (time flies) so not sure how much time I'll have BUT I love the idea of another tournament. Can we nominate more than 1 character? (sorry of this has been mentioned!). If the minigame participation does not require any more effort than just voting, I'm in!

My candidate is...

D, from Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust in particuar)

Silent vampire assasin, half-vampire, half-human, fearless and (almost) indesructible. Respected and feared by rivals to the bounty and his enemies alike.

I have never mastered adding photos to the posts, can anyone see this??? Did it work?

Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Looks good in my browser.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I have two kids now (time flies) so not sure how much time I'll have BUT I love the idea of another tournament. Can we nominate more than 1 character? (sorry of this has been mentioned!). If the minigame participation does not require any more effort than just voting, I'm in!

The mini game does not require anything but voting. Smile Of course, if you forget to vote in a particular round/bracket you'll find yourself getting lapped. Wink

As for nominations you can nominate as many characters as you want. Just try to keep it to like 4-5 per post. Just so each individual post is not a mile long.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:53 am Reply with quote
Okay, I swear I will write a more substantial post with some actual nominations, but I just wanted to throw my support for this tournament.

Anyways, someone from Black Lagoona needs to be nominated. (I'll probably write up Balalaika. But Dutch is a good choice). I want to nominate Balsa from Moribito. I haven't thought through all of the anime I've watched, but Oscar (Rose of Versailles) and Izumi (Princess Nine) would also be worthy nominations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:14 am Reply with quote
With Black Lagoon it's a matter of narrowing it down as half the show could be nominated lol. Fortunately in the nomination phase there's no limit. Once votes are cast only the top 3 from a series make it. So for now we can nominate the whole cast lol. I'm making a list of characters I want to nominate first for myself. Then I'll post them in clumps. For me I figure that's easier. Plus it gives me an excuse to go peruse me huge anime collection with a notepad and debate on who I wanna nominate. I'll also throw my support in for others at that point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well allow me to be the one to formally nominate Revy from Black Lagoon:

What makes her so bad-ass? Well, she's a modern day pirate, for one! She wields two modified Beretta 92F's to deadly effect. The citizens of Roanapur refer to her as "Two-Hand" as a result. She can also cut a fired bullet in half using a katana. The type of fighter you want on your side as opposed to as an enemy. Trouble is she's so hair-trigger, you may not know which side you'll be dealing with at any given moment (friend or foe) UNLESS you have fully proven yourself as an ally she respects. Which ain't easy to do. Just like Rock, the hapless salaryman who inadvertently becomes part of the pirate crew, never knows if Revy is going to plug him full of holes or pat him on the back.

Quote:
“When I was a brat, crawling around in that shithole city, it seemed God and Love were always sold out when I went looking. Before I knew better, I clung to God and prayed to Him every single night — yeah, I believed in God right up until that night the cops beat the hell out of me for no reason at all. All they saw when they looked at me was another little ghetto rat. With no power and no God, what's left for a poor little Chinese bitch to rely on? It's money, of course, and guns. F***in' A. With these two things, the world's a great place."
~ Revy's monologue about Roanapur.

I'll be playing the mini-game, by the way!
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Nominees:

Toshio Ozaki from Shiki

Hard to say too much without revealing too much of the plot, but he is capable of some pretty mental stuff, including pretty cruel and guesome experiments, all for the greater good of survival of the humans in the fight against the vampires

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I think given it was just Thanksgiving for us in the states people are a bit busy. So with that in mind we'll definitely leave nominations open for another week or two. Need a bunch more to fill out a 96 character tournament. I have a list of like 15 I need to get together.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This sounds pretty interesting, count me in. Here's a few nominations.

1) Batou from Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. He's huge, he's ripped, and his cybernetic eyes give him an especially badass appearance. The scene in which he and Togusa raid a Yakuza stronghold is an epic display of combat prowess, as is the final combat sequence in the film. And we even get to see him take the load off in a recliner and crack open a beer in a different scene.

2) Leon McNichol from Bubblegum Crisis. No longer the rookie he was in AD Police, now Leon oozes badass attitude. Souped up motorcycle? Check. Wears sunglasses at night? Check. Smokes constantly? Check. Somehow manages to conceal a massive Dirty Harry-style .44 magnum in his jacket? Check. Considers that too small and later upgrades to a revolver which shoots literal elephant gun rounds? Check. And while he may not be the most powerful combatant in the show he makes up for it with stoicism and guts. Even when when facing much stronger opponents he never gives up or seems to give any care for his own personal safety, nor does he whine or complain about any of that. Perhaps the best example of his badass attitude is in episode 4: about to be run down by an out-of-control car operated by a malevolent AI, Leon coolly draws his pistol, produces a rifle grenade out of hammerspace, and takes care of business. It's a massive amount of badassery distilled into a single short scene.

3) Masamichi Fujisawa from El-Hazard the Magnificent World. Fujsawa was a high school teacher before being Isekaied to El-Hazard, and in classic isekai fashion the "skill" he got when traveling between worlds is massively superhuman strength. The trouble it is only works when he's sober, and that's fairly rare. But near the end of the show when he's sworn off the booze and has run out of cigarettes he had from earth...well, now things are a bit different, and his attitude goes from laid back and chill to massively badass. He's also a determined mountain climber who loves especially challenging climbs and refuses to use porters or other assistance.

4) Gene Starwind from Outlaw Star. I doubt I need to say much about him as I assume most people here are familiar with OS, but this man oozes badassery and panache. Tough, scarred, always after the ladies, and manages to pull off some supreme badass moments throughout the show. The first episode alone is enough to put Gene into the top ranks of baddass anime characters.

5) Post-time-loop Homura Akemi from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. There's not much I can say here without massive spoilers but I don't think I need to. If you have seen Madoka Magica then you already know what she has gone though and what she has done. And let's not forget the awesome hair flips.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10