• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Bitmous wrote:
Hey, HypeTrain. Myles here. I rebooted my copy and after looking in a wiki I immediately found the fast travel option. You were right - I overlooked it,

So much for being literally impossible.

Megiddo wrote:
It's pretty normal that ANN won't have a reviewer touch a direct sequel anime if they didn't watch the immediate preceding season. Not sure why they would have someone who didn't play the first Ryza (or any Atelier games period) review Ryza 2. Bizarre.

Not really as much as people might think this it’s not mandatory that in order to review a new entry or take on a long running property you have to have experienced a preceding entry.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:01 pm Reply with quote
My first thought while reading the review was "Myles obviously didn't play the first Ryza game or any Atelier game for that matter." and that was confirmed in the comment section. sneaky_squirrel's comment was what I was actually hoping to find in the review.

Anyway, Ryza 1 was my first Atelier game and I loved it due to the whole SoL thing going on. I'll definitely be getting 2 at some point.
Rogural

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not really as much as people might think this it’s not mandatory that in order to review a new entry or take on a long running property you have to have experienced a preceding entry.

I think things are a little different here though, regarding Atelier Ryza and its status as what I believe is the first direct sequel in the Atelier franchise. Not entirely mandatory, but I do think you'll be missing some nice nods to the first Ryza.

Atelier is essentially set up as self-contained trilogies in most cases anyhow, so stepping into what I assume is the middle game for the Ryza trilogy wouldn't be the best idea. You're going to miss a lot of character growth in how they move from one game to another.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
gridsleep wrote:
Why isn't she wearing any pants?

Because she's wearing shorts? Albeit incredibly short ones.

And uncomfortably tight-looking, with how she's squeezed into them! It looks like a prime environment for yeast infections to develop, too.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I think it's unrealistic and unnecessary to expect every reviewer to have played every game in a series to review the current one. I wouldn't expect, nor do you need to, have played every final fantasy game to review any game in that series, or every persona game etc. It of course can add context, but ultimately the game should stand on it's own.

At least usually when it's not a sequel. However, while I do agree that it probably would have been better to play the first Ryza game, I also picked this up (2) and skipped the original because everything I found pointed to it not being necessary to play the first (at least plot wise). So I don't think it's a big issue for this title

It seems like mechanics wise (from reading these posts) the game fails to stand on it's own, which I think is a failure of the game. This game doesn't give the impression of requiring the previous game (as opposed to say the Trails series) and if it can't have even optional (so vets can skip them) tutorials for all it's mechanics then that's a big negative.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Levonr wrote:
I think I heard the Atelier games were selling bad, so they were desperate & made heroine thicc Embarassed Now this series is selling well apparently.

I get that you're joking, but thicc thighs aside, they also scrapped the widely-despised calendar mechanic in favor of a more accessible pace, ditched the worst of the moe pandering to better appeal to the series' sizable female fanbase, and brought in a successful LN author to give the character writing much-needed depth. Not sure if he came back for the sequel or not, though.

Yep, as a member of that part of the female fanbase, thanks for pointing that out! Smile I'd never read the LN author's work, but I was so pleased with Ryza 1's character development and the way it wove the story's themes in through the narrative when I played it last month! I did get a little burned out on the alchemy system (Level 99 before I beat the final boss oops) so I'll probably be waiting a while on 2, but I was sad to hear the author had changed for 2.

I wonder how the story will be in 2?

(Also very annoyed the only cute costume in the game (Sophie) is locked behind a $44 season pass. Classy as always, Koei. I hope they bring back the ruffles in later games!)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:37 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

And uncomfortably tight-looking, with how she's squeezed into them! It looks like a prime environment for yeast infections to develop, too.

But it's a dry heat! Yea...that was a lame joke. I won't even bother with the South Park vagasil reference.

Beyond the booty shorts going on we of course also have the beyond mid-drif male shirt that came from the wardrobe of Right Said Fred.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:23 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
gridsleep wrote:
Why isn't she wearing any pants?

She's running around in her underwear. Is she a Strike Witch? Eh. Whatever.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:11 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I get that you're joking, but thicc thighs aside, they also scrapped the widely-despised calendar mechanic in favor of a more accessible pace, ditched the worst of the moe pandering to better appeal to the series' sizable female fanbase, and brought in a successful LN author to give the character writing much-needed depth. Not sure if he came back for the sequel or not, though.

What's weird for me is that while they may have left the moe behind, they seem to have substituted it for bog-standard fanservice; the designs remind me of Xenoblade Chronicle 2's worst tendencies. As someone who's a fan of the Dusk trilogy, it sucks that I'll have to slog through some bizarrely grotesque character designs to get at Ryza's promising story. It's like, every entry but Dusk feels like it was made to target a male audience in a way that feels at odds with its family friendly, laid-back, slice-of-life atmosphere, and it's very frustrating as a female player.
Brook09

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote
@whiskeyii

I honestly think without ryza's design being how it is, it wouldn't have even gotten a fraction of those sales that they got with her current design.

Those thighs brought the series back from an impending doom, and as it sold particularly well in the west and in japan, they'll probably continue going down this route.

Like hey, if something sells like hot potatoes why go with the current to get as much money as possible, as ya can see they did it the first time to have the same set of main mc's in an aterlie sequel.

That's the power of thicc thighs which is the current trend, the moe more friendly artstyle and direction on the other hand flopped and didn't give the numbers to warrant any future installation. Smile

Without thicc Ryza I believe the franchise would have died, any I'll personally am really enjoying the direction this franchise is taking. Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't mind Ryza's thighs; those are at least fairly proportionate. No, it's Lila who bothers me; the poor girl looks like she's being squeezed and inflated all at the same time, and it verges on the grotesque for me. By comparison, her swimsuit outfit actually seems more proportional since she's not so compressed in that outfit.
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
What's weird for me is that while they may have left the moe behind, they seem to have substituted it for bog-standard fanservice; the designs remind me of Xenoblade Chronicle 2's worst tendencies. As someone who's a fan of the Dusk trilogy, it sucks that I'll have to slog through some bizarrely grotesque character designs to get at Ryza's promising story. It's like, every entry but Dusk feels like it was made to target a male audience in a way that feels at odds with its family friendly, laid-back, slice-of-life atmosphere, and it's very frustrating as a female player.

Rare to see someone who's played the whole series. What about the PS1 and PS2 games was so obviously male-targeted or non-family-friendly, since on the surface it doesn't seem that way?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Brook09 wrote:
@whiskeyii

I honestly think without ryza's design being how it is, it wouldn't have even gotten a fraction of those sales that they got with her current design.

Those thighs brought the series back from an impending doom, and as it sold particularly well in the west and in japan, they'll probably continue going down this route.

Like hey, if something sells like hot potatoes why go with the current to get as much money as possible, as ya can see they did it the first time to have the same set of main mc's in an aterlie sequel.

That's the power of thicc thighs which is the current trend, the moe more friendly artstyle and direction on the other hand flopped and didn't give the numbers to warrant any future installation. Smile

Without thicc Ryza I believe the franchise would have died, any I'll personally am really enjoying the direction this franchise is taking. Very Happy

I'm not opposed to thick thighs but giving your character thighs like that but also having a gap at the top is pure cowardice. If you love thick thighs, you have to live without the thigh gap. That's just how it is.
Brook09

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:40 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote wrote:

'm not opposed to thick thighs but giving your character thighs like that but also having a gap at the top is pure cowardice. If you love thick thighs, you have to live without the thigh gap. That's just how it is.

Welp your loss, me and I suppose a large part of the fandom of this game enjoy those thighs and the gap that is brough to us. Very Happy

The power of thighs is not to be underestimated, if thighs with with those gap's equal's to 500k sales (first game) then sure why not. Smile

This pure cowardice brought the series from the ashes and made it into a phoenix. Very Happy

Thighs Cool
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:29 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

I'm not opposed to thick thighs but giving your character thighs like that but also having a gap at the top is pure cowardice. If you love thick thighs, you have to live without the thigh gap. That's just how it is.

Realism vs. idealism

Seems they're leaning towards idealism - the thigh gap is real (makes 'em look more --how to put this politely-- "accessible")
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2