• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shadows House (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:27 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

I think that they are implying that Kate tried to create a cushion that might have been able to save Rosemary and Maryrose, but not being in a position to do so, she can't check if it might have worked. We also don't know what happened to Edward, how much trouble he would have gotten over what happened, other than the Children's wing hearing about the pathway being rundown. Anthony, the face of Christopher, is still alive though, and did work alongside Rosemary and Maryrose, but didn't quite agree with I think their fatalistic approach, as I see that he want to keep up the fight to bring it all down.

The final episode also revealed that only one of the Belle twins did not get "broken", and the remaining bell is acting as the face to both Shadows, and is now on Emilico's team. And it is Emilico's team, seeing as Barbara placed Kate as the leader of team 10 (making Emilico such also), something that Sarah clearly would be super annoyed over, and Mia a little less so. Mia is still annoyed that they got stuck with Belle, a now heavily traumatised girl that is afraid of joining the rest in cleaning. Emilico has a fight on her hand to keep her safe. I would think that Belle and her faces might be good candidates for allies of Kate.

Also probably worth noting that Belle is a true victim of Maryrose's plots, which set them up as scapegoats. They might not have been really nice, but hardly deserved what they were put through, that Belle lost her own sister because Maryrose needed to buy some more time. I will say that I like to feel for characters that might have seen previously as arseholes. Similar mention for the season, Patrick, who is not to be forgotten to be seen as indistinguishably bratty along with Ricky, but I think it is super cute that he now has a crush on Emilico, where I think he especially is drawn by her empathy.

Also Louise, who is clearly super vain and stuff, but somehow makes herself entertaining in that confidence, and ironically despite her power is not two faced or manipulative, generally saying exactly what she thinks.

I do think that this season is a bit of a mark down from the first season, notably the OP and ED hardly compare to the ones from the first season, which I still see as hauntingly beautiful. I suppose still good, but the sort of thing that I think might be unfair that it would have to be compared to, but it was going to be. Maybe an effect that our characters are trying to get out of the darkness, and the mysteries are opening up. The gothic setting has just been something I am super drawn in. I suppose that we still need to know who the human kids really are, and this last episode did give us a small glimpse of the life Emilico had before in a dream.

I would say I was never disappointed in the show, and has never really reached a point of being boring. My rating will be Excellent (9/10), I don't think that overall it was a downgrade from the first season, and if anything wasn't too stingy on mysteries, that I think kept it at the same level, but not quite elevate it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
#11-12

The penultimate episode can be said to be the season finale, as Maryrose and Rosemary play their final gambit which fails against Edward's adult powers. Despite this, there is every chance the fall was not their last, as Anthony has given enough hints that Kate did everything she could to increase their slim chances of survival. However, even if they did survive, they can no longer re-enter the House to aid Kate in her struggle. The two character monologues fill in the remaining gaps about Christopher and Anthony, as well as the reason why the former is never spoken of again. As for the latter, he is a powerful ally provided his goals align with Kate's, and right now they do not so I doubt Kate will seek tutelage from him until she can better understand his motivations and goals.

The final episode is unusual, as it bridges this arc with what future adaptation may come. It's not really an ending since the last episode did exactly that for this season. We find out more about what it really means to be team leader, as well as the pressure Kate and Emilico are under to achieve their goals to minimise the inevitable casualties that will pile up as the House machine grinds its tools relentlessly. Kate is effectively trying to be as human as she can be to relieve the heavy burden Emilico is under, but there are limits to what she can do when the daily workload for the Faces is so relentless. As for Emilico, being team leader AND saddled with a newcomer who is under PTSD and extreme stress is weighing on her performance-wise as well as the Star Bearers appraisal of Kate. She's not going down without a fight though, as even Barbie is taken aback by her forceful rebuttal. Still, Emilico has her work cut out for her in rehabilitating the remaining Belle before the rest of her team also revolts.

That is for another season, and the way the final episode was prepared suggests the animators are hoping for an additional green light to adapt more material. This season has not disappointed with regards to entertainment, and if the home sales are good the third season might be greenlit sooner rather than later. It would be a shame to see the series end like this, as the story is nowhere near done and there's plenty more to be had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4