• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shadows House

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:23 am Reply with quote
and here it was, my favourite scene of the manga... although it's a bit less hype when the colors are so dulled. Maybe they could have pulled a page form Super Cub for this lol
The ballroom was also stupidly dark but I'm already used to it.
Otherwise, great adaptation and I'm glad about how everything was conveyed. I loved many of the animation tricks: the way Sara and Mia were animated made their fluid mirror moves way creepier than those of other pairs, Barbara's voice perfectly conveys how she isn't as much of a gremlin as Barbie, Maryrose is as much of an overbearing prince as she should, Grandfather's slight and slow movements felt off and Shirley's death was oddly beautifully animated even when it was impossible to pull this off: https://i.imgur.com/4dIb6Dn.jpg The previous scene with the makeshift boat and soot wings were so exhilarating that I didn't stop to realize how sad Shirley and Ram's situations were in the manga.
This episode was basically the payoff for this long arc.
There was also a very short anime original cut which seems pretty significant. At a pace of 4 chapters per episode, we're one chapter short to fill three peisodes so it can end right on a "shocking" cliffhanger and this might be what fills in the runtime. I'm very curious at to what it might be, specially so since it could potentially alter some events in the meanwhile.

The infodump was as clumsy as it was in the manga however (if they were going to do it like that might as well narrate it straight without the "as you know" framing) but at least it gives many answers going around in circles teasing them. Further down the line there are a couple other infodumps like this (with a lot of repeated information) but at least those are given to characters without any/all the information.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I feel a bit cheated, because I was saying the theory that the Shadows are made of soot several weeks ago, and I was told that it could not be the case. Them being "fairy" like spirits made of soot seems like a technicality.

Some other things to consider: in the only skipped chapter Kate states that shadows aren't made of soot and proceeds to use Emilyko's soot removal room. John also used a similar facility to clean his clothes. And Ryan himself says the way Shirley died was weird (spoiler[the example girl in the infodump didn't have a chunk of her ankle missing in the manga])

blahmoomoo wrote:
Something tells me this isn't the whole story, because Kate started with defiant thoughts about the system, something that doesn't match Emilico's personality.

Kate's oddity spoiler[has a little trick that we won't get to see this season.]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...Current wild theory without really anything to base it on, perhaps Kate already met someone in the past, and already formed the part of a person, that black doll might have been a gift from that person and is thus very important to who she is as an individual. Kate might then be aware that what Shadows do is not right in stripping freedom away or something, and thus wants to bring it down, as she treasures Emilico as an individual.
Not "wild" at all as this is exactly the supposition my daughter and I have been discussing and it has plenty to base it on! First, is how Kate has had more personality from the start whereas Patrick seems to have gained opinions from Ricky and looks to him for direction as we see in this Ep and so is becoming more like Him. Second is Kate's doll you mention because there was not much reason to believe shadow-people start out as shadow-babies and grow up to being pre-teens in the house (where would that be anyway??) and we now know that isn't what happens. There would not be a reason to have such a doll or for Kate to be so attached to it, so it stands to reason she had a previous "face" but didn't make it past the debut and that is a reminder or gift.

Kate also dodged Emilico's questions about what the debut was or if she were actually human so those answers she likely knows and knows how terrifying those could seem. Third supporting evidence is that Shirley being an exceptional case where a failed shadow-person just disintegrates, likely due to a lack of a will to live I'd guess, it is possible that Kate would have survived to be gotten a "new face" and might have been motivated to do so because of the fate of her previous "face". These last items also supports the idea you mentioned that Kate knows something of what is happening in the "shadows" and why she is against it possibly from the start. Also, I just noticed that the Op did not show Rum in the "face lineup" sequence, so that was a hint...

We will undoubtedly see Kate draw a circle of other shadows like John, possibly Maryrose and even Star-bearer (as an outside possibility) into a covert reform movement. The Op also has a twin shadow-pair and two other characters that have yet to be shown. My take on the infodump here is that the author or adaptation team decided to get all that out of the way to set up the story to focus on the action relative to said movement which will get set up in the remaining episodes and will be the core of next season.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
The infodump was as clumsy as it was in the manga however (if they were going to do it like that might as well narrate it straight without the "as you know" framing) but at least it gives many answers going around in circles teasing them. Further down the line there are a couple other infodumps like this (with a lot of repeated information) but at least those are given to characters without any/all the information.

Yes, the infodump seemed honestly unnecessary. It's confirmation of things that most people paying attention would have guessed as one of the most likely possibilities. Was it really necessary to confirm them in dialog right now instead of waiting to show the facts when relevant?
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Yes, the infodump seemed honestly unnecessary. It's confirmation of things that most people paying attention would have guessed as one of the most likely possibilities. Was it really necessary to confirm them in dialog right now instead of waiting to show the facts when relevant?

Because those facts are going to become relevant right now. The show needed to explain all that to progress into the next arc. Yeah, the infodump was clumsy, but the author couldn't afford to wait anymore.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

The confirmations were necessary. Some parts (shadows take over the living dolls. Living dolls must have no self-awareness for this. Coffee makes dolls obedient. Shadows imitate their dolls...) were strongly hinted but not fully confirmed, and making sure the audience is on the same page on some of these subjects is needed in order to move on to what is about to happen in this mini-arc and the one right after the anime ends.
Usually drip feeding these confirmations would be the way to go but for its apparent slow pace this series doesn't like to waste time, plus there are some pecularities about the situation of the main characters that makes it difficult to expose those points naturally.

Of course there are other series that would gladly keep the audience in the dark for a long time and then make them reread half the series after the revelations to finally make sense of what happened. But this isn't one of such series.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Emilico’s face at the end is absolute nightmare fuel. I’m so glad that wasn’t used for this week’s review thumbnail.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Emilico’s face at the end is absolute nightmare fuel. I’m so glad that wasn’t used for this week’s review thumbnail.

I was very sorely tempted, but my better nature won out. Very Happy
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Something that I've noticed - that Kate monologue in the "ship" is mostly a few lines that were moved from the ball to here. I thought they'd be reinserted a bit later but here it makes sense: although the topic of names has long passed, we get to fully learn of Kate's appreciation for Emilyko's kindness and individuality just minutes before she loses both to the machinations of the House (doesn't all this make you think of a cult btw?).
This scene was pivotal to my liking of the series. Not only is it cute and exciting, the consolidation of their relationship made me care deeply about these two, as Emilyko becomes a clueless and helpless child who needs saving; and Kate becomes her own lovely individual rather than the former's aloof reflection, not clueless but just as helpless. The change in circumstances also increase Kate's agency.

Quote:
That, as it happens, is the truth about the Shadows: they are a type of soot-based fey who learned how to become solid, and the entire living doll system is one designed to consume the “dolls” so that the Shadows may become them. If you needed any more proof that this story draws directly from Hans Christian Andersen's “The Shadow,” this would be it.

Something about these fairies: their nature seems to be just mimicking the form of something they watch. And after that... they just keep on mimicking. So at what point, for what reason or under what circumstances did they get the idea that they might as well "devour" that which they are mimicking?
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote
It's ironic (in a cruel way) that shadows kidnap and possess humans, destroying their lives to get their faces but showing one's face is considered bad or a sign of weakness spoiler[except when they interact with humans outside of the house].
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
How come the living dolls like Sarah don't seem soot coffee drugged?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Sara isn't a living doll.
And why would they notice anything wrong when they've been literally brainwashed? Like that's the whole point of brainwashing: making people NOT notice that they're being manipulated to think and act as somebody else wants.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Sara isn't a living doll.
And why would they notice anything wrong when they've been literally brainwashed? Like that's the whole point of brainwashing: making people NOT notice that they're being manipulated to think and act as somebody else wants.

Sorry, I meant Mia - the one that's the face. She obviously isn't brainwashed, she gets angry/upset when she sees Sarah has come into her room and messed it up. She also acts normally.

Maybe the soot coffee is used sparingly for special occasions (like making the newly debuted dolls forget about the failed dolls/shadows so to not worry about it).
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Sorry, I meant Mia - the one that's the face. She obviously isn't brainwashed, she gets angry/upset when she sees Sarah has come into her room and messed it up. She also acts normally.

Maybe the soot coffee is used sparingly for special occasions (like making the newly debuted dolls forget about the failed dolls/shadows so to not worry about it).

Oh, you'll see how it works exactly.
The thing you know so far though is that Mia 100% believes she's a doll, for instance.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Oh, you'll see how it works exactly.
The thing you know so far though is that Mia 100% believes she's a doll, for instance.

Ahhh ok, I see!
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
The debut is done! Overall a good adaptation of it, though I wish the Kate wing scene was a bit more exciting; it didn't look as beautiful as in the manga.

Regarding Rum and Shirley's failure, spoiler[I don't recall that backstory of how she disappeared happening in the manga? Or, like, it at least wasn't at that particular chapter. I tried looking for it but I couldn't see it... If it is anime original, it's a very nice touch.] NGL I actually started tearing up as Shirley disintegrated, even knowing it was coming. It was very well done.

Hmmm, so we get more anime original plot twist with spoiler[John giving Kate a letter.] Rather than being disappointed by the plot changes I'm actually rather excited to see where they go with it. What significance will these changes bring? I'm intrigued.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10