• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fena: Pirate Princess

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the way that Abel's story was wrapped up was a bit... unearned? Yes, it was very beautiful, much like this series has been - that's one thing I won't dare say is bad, because every bit of the series has been a gorgeous sight to behold - but given what all he has done and had put Fena through, him being rewarded with being reunited with Helena didn't seem entirely warranted.

I did love seeing Fena come forth in trying to protect Yukimaru, although I wish more of that side of her was featured throughout the series. Unfortunately, with only one episode left, I think it's a bit too late for her to show more of that "pirate" side that makes up part of her title. I do hope we are getting a second season - I've been burned by AS/Toonami using bumpers that say "season finale" but isn't the case; I'm still incredibly bitter over them doing this with Final Space, and rolled my eyes again over the mention of them doing it with Paranoia Agent - where we actually explore her being a leader and captain like what we thought she'd be from the initial promo videos. But that also depends on what happens with the last episode, as the whole "Cody is the Author of Fena's story" felt entirely out of nowhere and I feel like it could break the entire series for me if handled improperly. I don't mind the twist, as it gave me Princess Tutu vibes and I love that series and could see the twist working out well, but I am very concerned that it will be done completely wrong at the same time.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
TFW a murderous incel gets validation and forgiveness from the ghost of the woman he was obsessed with right after threatening to murder her daughter and stabbing her daughter’s boyfriend.
Able DID NOT deserve that happy ending!!!

I’m giving this show the benefit of the doubt and thinking that “Ghost Helena” was actually another form of The Observer, distracting Abel so he wouldn’t get more stabby in his death throes. Or something.

Wyvern wrote:
Ghost Helena when she sees Abel again:

Rebecca when she's writing her review:

Complete summary of next week's episode where Cody will have to explain what the hell's been going on:

This is a perfect description
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
TFW a murderous incel gets validation and forgiveness from the ghost of the woman he was obsessed with right after threatening to murder her daughter and stabbing her daughter’s boyfriend.
Able DID NOT deserve that happy ending!!!

Agree with you there. It's that Japanese ultimate 'forgiveness' attack. Hell, they would probably forgive Thanos too, if given the chance.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:23 am Reply with quote
Delphisage wrote:

Toonami calls nearly everything a season finale, even when it’s a series finale. They called Genlock’s last episode a “season finale” despite all common sense and rationality.

...except Gen:Lock is in fact getting a second season, so I'm not quite sure how this follows?

That being said I'd forgotten the silliness with Paranoia Agent that Takkun mentioned, so it's probably best to not read too much into it. Still, I genuinely hope they're able to continue with it. I've been firmly in the camp of enjoying this much more than many people seemed to, and nothing over the past few episodes has changed that for me. And it's funny, because I'm normally very allergic to bad writing, and I know that from an objective standpoint a lot of decisions the series has made don't really work...but I don't know, I'm still finding it to be a very fun ride. I think a big part of it is how hard the series committed to the globe-trotting Indiana Jones vibe, casually mashing together various bits of mythology to craft a legendary treasure. Of course the ridiculously-high production values don't hurt either. From a more meta standpoint, I find it fascinating that the characters' motivations are almost entirely driven by the plot...probably to the series' detriment, but it's certainly different than the norm.

As far as Abel's fate is concerned, I want to rewatch the scene, but it seemed somewhat uncertain as to what was actually happening (if we can even define that) and what was going on in his own head. I still feel general sympathy toward his circumstances, but what happened in this didn't engender any more toward him as a person.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...except Gen:Lock is in fact getting a second season

Because RoosterTeeth also counterproductively flies in the face of common sense and reason.
Stronghart

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Welp like a lot of people I'm very confused on what's going on and completely unsure of how this next episode will wrap things up. Eager, but worried because I do like this series a lot more than I would have ever expected.

Anyway, given I love Abel, I'm both satisfied and utterly unsatisfied by what happened to him. The entire episode felt weird and sudden in a lot of ways, and I think there was more that could have been done with him. I don't think Abel is blameless in anything (far from it), but I'm glad he got to see and be with Helena again.

I'm definitely going to watch the marathon of it on toonami, but given this episode, I have to wonder if the pacing will feel even stranger when binging the episodes.
InuKag1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I honest don't even know what is they are looking for anymore, I know they are looking for Eden but WHY? Is there something there that they want? Was it the treasure? Needless to say that episode had me confused till the end; and is Yukimaru immortal or something? He was just shot and now he's been stabbed. And did Abel really do all of that just to see Helena again?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:24 pm Reply with quote
InuKag1 wrote:
I honest don't even know what is they are looking for anymore, I know they are looking for Eden but WHY?

The Goblins specifically want to find the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi sword. They don't mind getting rich along the way though. They also view their job as protecting Fena in lieu of her father, whom they feel beholden to.

Fena is looking for Eden, because the man she thought was her father told her to, and because she's apparently supernaturally drawn to it. We don't really know yet why. Dunno what Cody/The Observer is after either.

The British just want the treasures.

Abel only wanted to see Helena again.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Is this like the choice at the ending of Matrix 3

What if she chooses not to continue the bloodline

Yukimaru could've been the new Abel

So they're alive or been revived

Essentially the series is a long-winded way to get them to admit their feelings to each other
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 12 Random thoughts.

I don't see a second season coming out of this. Wink

Yah, there was some exposition, there was.

The universe, or just Earth, has a...spoiler[ quality control check? To see if most of it should be thrown out so a redo should be tried? I guess. ]

The Goblin Knights are damn good at loading a boat in a hurry. Smile

I wonder where the Royal Navy spoiler[ship went. It should have had at least a skeleton watch aboard.]

What ever Fena spoiler[ did to choose], pirates fromspoiler[ OMalley's crew, to the number of three, got included. Which is nice. Sweet and all. I wonder if they remember anything? ]

I find it okay, kinda nice if not deeply moving or anything. I think it could have used a few more eps of foreshadowing or something to set up the problem, if I can call it that. Not a rival to Rahxephon or Eva or even to HyperPolice, though, for me.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
I could've given myself a concussion and still feel like I lost less time from that than what I've wasted on Fena. This was just a total waste of a show, and I have no idea whose idea was to not only make this, but to even put in a decent animation showing towards it.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Well I gotta say when I watched episode 1 I did not expect a borderline Evangelion level insane finale.*

I don't know how I feel about this show. I feel like if you told me the plot without me seeing it I'd call it pretentious garbage, and seeing it I do feel that it was pretentious but at the same time I kind of enjoyed it? I don't think I'll be revisiting this show any time soon, if ever, but in the end I don't think it was wasted time.

*Ultimately I guess I should have expected it though, since other Adult Swim/CN co-produced anime include The Big O season 2 and the FLCL sequels, all of which had some weird-ass finales. They really seem to have a niche.
Grenzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
Just awful all around. Like some sort of weird attempt to mash up Evangelion's ending with a sappy pulp pirate romance novel. So much was dropped off at the end and very little of substance was resolved beyond Fena and Yuikimaru admitting they loved each other, and it was already established they had a strong bond before this episode so other plot threads should have received attention like Kei and the long-term intentions of the British Empire.

Otherwise most of the characters in this show were superfluous and had paper-thin personalities, and the visuals while pretty had surprisingly little impact or feeling. Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack was by-the-numbers and uninspired, a far step below her work in Demon Slayer.

Why the heck is Williams Street so eager to green-light dreck like this? Surely the money could have been invested for a more worthy license? Being able to claim this was a Toonami original is not doing any favors for the brand.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:04 am Reply with quote
Grenzer wrote:

Why the heck is Williams Street so eager to green-light dreck like this? Surely the money could have been invested for a more worthy license? Being able to claim this was a Toonami original is not doing any favors for the brand.

And neither is stubbornly ignoring the incompetence and choosing to marathon the whole show for Halloween.
tbrown3514

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote
They did a good job of wrapping up the story and leaving it open to speculate. My own personal opinion was this was rushed. At least I got another look of the cutie with the mole. I won’t watch this ever again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15