• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Can't Believe This Anime Got An English Dub

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:44 am Reply with quote
There are many reasons why an anime doesn't get an English dub and it's not always clear why. There are those like "Turn A Gundam" and the original "Dirty Pair" TV series that,for whatever reason,don't have one but probably deserve one. Then,there are those like "School Days" and "Corpse Party." These have material that are so disturbing that most voice actors would have a hard time being in them,much less a viewer watching them.
But then,we come to the shows that get an English dub despite having little,if any,quality or merit to them like "Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory." After seeing a little of the first episode,I'm astonished something like this got made,much less dubbed into English. I can't believe that this actually exists and I have trouble figuring out why it does. The premise alone should have disqualified it. A homeless twelve-year-old boy is made dorm "mother" for a bunch of women at an all-female college.

I could barely stand seeing this too long and that's why I turned it off quickly. Can you imagine seeing the whole thing? I don't really want to. I feel sorry to those who had to subject themselves to this thing just to review it. You have my sympathies. There are a myriad of questions about this anime after you see it like why was this made? Why did Sentai Filmworks license this thing? Why are they subjecting their voice actors to dub something as awful as this? Who was this made for?
That last question is very appropriate because it seems like it was made for the Jeffrey Epstein crowd. Most normal people,including most sane anime fans,will steer well clear of it. I don't understand why anyone thought this thing deserved an English dub when there are so many other shows that have earned them. To those who had to watch this trainwreck just to review it,I feel sorry for you. You didn't deserve to go through this.

Ironically enough,I saw scenes from a show that was somewhat like it but slightly better. It was called "Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou." It's about a boy who moves into a dorm for junior high. It turns out that that dorm has a beautiful caretaker and a bunch of other girls in it. There are reasons why "Miss Caretaker" is a whole lot better than "Goddess' Dormitory." It's a much more wholesome,sweeter show than it's ecchi counterpart. Also,the fact that many of the other girls in the anime are this boy's age. It's no contest. "Miss Caretaker" is the better of the two shows and you should watch that. On the other hand,"Goddess' Dormitory" will probably earn you a visit from the FBI and Chris Hansen. You're better off not seeing this show at all.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I could barely stand seeing this too long and that's why I turned it off quickly. Can you imagine seeing the whole thing? I don't really want to.

Once again this is an issue of just because you think something, or feel a certain way, does not mean everyone else feels the same. You always ask these over exaggerated "why would anyone want this or watch this?" questions, when the answer is normally very obvious. Because people enjoy it. It's really not hard to fathom that some people might enjoy something others do not. Being condescending towards people who did watch it by saying they have "your sympathy" is also rude and ignorant. The same goes for your over exaggerated pity for the VA"s who were forced to work on such awful material. They CHOSE to work on it. Nobody forced them.

The simple fact is this is pure T&A ecchi material and nothing else. Such titles have always been popular and get views/sales. That's why they are made and why they get licensed. The quality, or taste of the material, of the show does not matter in many cases. Just because you don't enjoy ecchi material does not mean everyone else agrees with you. I don't even enjoy this particular show but I understand the audience it's aimed at and why they do.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure you've been told this before, but "is the content controversial/disturbing?" is rarely if ever a factor in deciding whether an anime gets dubbed. Same with questions of whether a show "deserves" a dub. No, the question that matters is about the money: is dubbing the show likely to generate enough additional sales and legal-streaming views to recover the dubbing costs and make a profit? For older and longer shows like Turn A Gundam and Dirty Pair, the answer is probably "no." But for a newly-airing anime, in the ecchi genre where revenue tends to outpace critical reception, it's not surprising that an English dub would get the green light. And performing disturbing or controversial content is part of the job of being an actor -- if one VA doesn't accept a role they're uncomfortable with, someone else will gladly take it.

Quote:
Also,the fact that many of the other girls in the anime are this boy's age. It's no contest. "Miss Caretaker" is the better of the two shows and you should watch that. On the other hand,"Goddess' Dormitory" will probably earn you a visit from the FBI and Chris Hansen.

There were precisely zero To Catch a Predator episodes that featured an adult woman trying to meet with a teenage boy. And from what I've seen, Miss Caretaker of Sunohara definitely has its share of ecchi content as well (though perhaps not as extreme), whether it's girls in skimpy outfits, bathing scenes, the male lead getting the 20something caretaker's boobs in his face or on his back, crossdressing as a girl and stripping leggings off another girl, and probably much more.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:34 am Reply with quote
Well,that would be true,Zalis116,but recently I've been reading news on this site of shows that I never thought would get an English dub actually getting one. Anime like "Gunbuster,""Millennium Actress,""Tokyo Godfathers,"and others like them are getting English dubs. Just today,I was surprised to read about a show called "Future Boy Conan" from 1978 that's going to get an English dub. 1978! My god! If it had gotten here then or a couple of years later,we would have those like Frank Welker,Peter Fernandez,or Corinne Orr doing the dubs so that's something.
This news also gives me a little bit of hope that perhaps one day,shows like "Turn A Gundam" and the original "Dirty Pair" TV series might one day get one. It probably would surprise me if it happened but it would be a pleasant one and it would be deserved. The addition of an English dub to those shows might help boost interest in them and might make a lot more money instead of them remaining sub only.

Also,shows like "Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory" are going to be among the shows that are going to get dubs. I know that. But,the content of that show is a bit much for someone like me. Although I'd seen stuff like "Miss Caretaker of Sonohara-sou" and "Monster Girl Doctor,"they don't go to the extremes of a show like "Goddess' Dormitory" do. I could barely get through the first episode without turning it off soon after.
Needless to say,I didn't like that show,Zalis. I could easily see why it got the reviews it got. While there are voice actors who are comfortable in these types of shows,there are others who aren't. I wasn't exactly comfortable watching that show. I think it would be difficult for me to be in something like that. I guess that's just how it is sometimes. What do you think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1