• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime Of Fall 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I didn’t expect the editorial staff to put Muv-Luv Alternative on the list, and am neither surprised nor disappointed by its absence, but I do think there’s an interesting story here for non-fans to follow.

The source material has long been considered impossible to adapt — Alternative is the final entry in a three-part visual novel series, which relies on lore and character building from the 50+ hours spent in Muv-Luvs Extra and Unlimited — and even fans of the franchise are wary. On Reddit, I’ve seen users basically disown the anime before it even premieres, insisting that interested parties should steer clear of the anime until they’ve put in their time on the VNs (for the record, I strongly disagree with and discourage this type of gatekeeping).

However, fans in Tokyo who went to a screening of the first two episodes last week were quite impressed, and from what’s been disclosed of episode 1’s contents, the producers may have actually figured out how to adapt this unadaptable VN. I can’t wait to see if they’ve pulled off the impossible.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This might come as heresy for some, but I don't have any strong feelings about Naoko Yamada as a director, one way or the other; K-ON was never my jam, I still haven't gotten around to that adaptation of A Silent Voice, and while I've had many close and trusted friends assure me of Sound! Euphonium's genius, that franchise continues to rest comfortably in my ever-expanding anime backlog.

I'm not the biggest fan of K-On myself (can't get myself to finish it). Sound! Euphonium was entertaining. A Silent Voice was decent for me, so was Liz and the Blue Bird. I would say that I have some problems with Naoko Yamada's overall directing, which I can mostly tolerate as I did enjoy some of her works.

But one thing I can't argue is that she has a distinctive visual direction that is unique and pleasing. It seems to haven't been really mature in her earlier works, and I personally just started to appreciate it since A Silent Voice and Liz and the Blue Bird. Honestly her framing and visual language alone would make me dismiss the other problems I have with her. I suppose I'm also looking forward to Heike Story if not only to please my eyes with some beauties.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
My three picks for this season: Platinum End, mostly because of the Death Note guys' attachment to it; Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu (official English title when?), because it stands out as the most interesting to me; and Blade Runner: Black Lotus, because as a regular Toonami watcher, of course I'm going to. If not for being only familiar with half of the works featured and having only seen one of them in full, I'd have given Kaginado a shot too.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm annoyed that Lupin the 3rd Part 6 is not available for streaming where I live.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Pleased to see that 86 was brought up multiple times, as it's certainly my most-anticipated for the upcoming season, too. While I've long thought that the series' first novel is its strongest, anime-only viewers probably won't find the second season (which should adapt the second and third novels) coming up short on impactful content, especially given how well the first season was adapted.

Among other titles, Tsuki to Laika no Nosferatu is probably my next most-anticipated, as the concept intrigues me and the early trailers look well-made. Faraway Paladin (based on Rebecca's review of the first novel), the new Yuki Yuna series, and the returns of Restaurant to Another World, Demon Slayer, and Mushoku Tensei round out my list of top picks, but a few others look to have some potential, too. Overall, the season looks stacked, so I'm expecting one of my fullest viewing cards ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The ones I’ll be watching are Lupin, 86, and PuraOre. Thieves, war, and ice hockey for me this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:04 am Reply with quote
Interesting lists. I already started watching Heike Story, which is gorgeous and I hope remains accessible for people unfamiliar with its source material. I am planning to watch a few sequels, including 86 and Yashahime (the first season disappointed me but I still want to know what happens next, and how they’ll resolve the plot holes.) Most of the titles mentioned weren’t on my radar at all, but Sakugan, The Ranking of Kings and Faraway Paladin are now.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
but having already seen the first two episodes of this supernaturally charged historical drama claiming to span over 800 years

The anime starts just before the Genpei War kicks off...Neither The Clan nor the War lasted for 800 years.[/quote]
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:45 am Reply with quote
Lupin's the only one I know of and am looking forward to... but it's on HIDIVE? Darn it. I'm not subscribed to that and didn't even know it existed anymore TBH.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
Mostly excited for Mieruko-chan! I still haven't seen the Demon Slayer movie, but if they're recapping it for the new season I guess I'll watch that, too.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 am Reply with quote
The shows I'll be watching this Fall in order of excitement:

1) Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - read the LN so looking forward to this bit
2) Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu
3) 86
4) Komi Can't Communicate - read it so interested to see how they adapt it.
5) The Faraway Paladin
6) Platinum End
7) Worlds end Harem - uncensored if available
8) Sakugan

Alarm bells are already ringing for deep insanity, takt op, slow life pharmacy, build divide, megaton-kyuu & Digimon - so I'll avoid starting them.

Might pickup selection project, visual prison & kings ranking if they get good reviews.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Mushoku Tensei for me, no contest.

The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat comes as a strong runner-up, just hope they don't botch the production values...
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope more people decide to try PriMagi. And as I've said a ton before, y'all should try Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:27 pm Reply with quote
After giving it some thought, I think I will watch the first episode of Faraway Paladin
doomrider7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, good news—the horny baby has grown up.

It's possible you missed the ENTIRE sales pitch of the series, but not...the gross creepy horniness is NOT going anywhere. Want a similar series without the gross creepy shit, watch Faraway Paladin which is FARAWAY the better of the two.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3