• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Red Hood Manga Ends, Neru Manga Reaches Climax in Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Mashle
Witch Watch
Black Clover
Neru: Bugei Dougyou
Ayakashi Triangle

For the record, none of those series besides NERU are in any risk of cancellation. Black Clover has been established for years and has a movie coming in the next year or so. MASHLE is easily the most successful new series in Jump at the moment, with the latest volume selling over 100,000 copies in its first month of release. Witch Watch is also doing very well, with the current oricon rankings for its latest volume looking very promising. Ayakashi Triangle is selling just fine too, especially since it's an ecchi series.

People tend to put way too much importance on Jump's weekly table of contents order. The only significant sign is if a series is consistently at the back of the magazine, for weeks or months on end. That's what we saw with NERU and Red Hood, and why anyone playing attention expected both to end pretty soon.

Well yeah, that's what I said in the disclaimers.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
I cannot believe they cancelled times great series. Why is it rubbish like DB Super, Boruto and a stupid Generic Harem like We never learn get to continue but a promising datk fantasy like Hunters guild is cancelled after a few chapters?

Dragon Ball Super was never in Shonen Jump, it has always been in V-Jump, and Boruto was kicked out of Shonen Jump a while ago (it running in V-Jump now). Lastly, don't judge a book by its cover. We Never Learn had good writing and characters at times and it was an comedy and ecchi that let it stay in Jump a little longer
Anyway, I believe the problem with Red Hood was it didn't build their main cast fast enough and didn't have an early villain that the main character could fight and it didn't have a good battle system. I look at MHA early chapters and Deku was already in the Academy by chapter 4, Red Hood wasn't even close to the Guild. The entrance exam was way too long, it should have been a chapter at best. I hope the Mangaka learn from this
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Would have loved to see more of Debonair.

This is just my opinion, but maybe that was the plan (and the reason there was no patience for RH, two buff females which were not villains was too much for the editors). Because I do not think WSJ would have a battle manga with a female character in a protagonist role, there is one similar manga called Death Deus: Hero of the Dead but that one is published in HobbyJapan.

The Promised Neverland? I know it isn't a battle manga (it kind of become one by the end), Emma was the main character
Anyway, Debonair has already been replaced by a character in Undead Unluck. The best part about the character is her face fits her body way better than Debonair. Man, I can't believe how better Undead Unluck have become
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
The Promised Neverland? I know it isn't a battle manga (it kind of become one by the end), Emma was the main character
Anyway, Debonair has already been replaced by a character in Undead Unluck. The best part about the character is her face fits her body way better than Debonair. Man, I can't believe how better Undead Unluck have become

Wait what do you mean by “replaced by a character in Undead Unluck?”
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Neru was cool, and I'm sad to see it go.

I agree, it is BS that it got the axe. That being said any way to check its sales? I personally don't know how or how to measure if it is good or bad.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Replica_Rabbit"]
mangamuscle wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Would have loved to see more of Debonair.

Anyway, Debonair has already been replaced by a character in Undead Unluck. The best part about the character is her face fits her body way better than Debonair.

Do you mean Isshin? She is not as buff or has appeared (unarmored) as often. The closest level of female buff protagonism atm in WSJ is Star And Stripes in MHA, but I do not see her outliving her own presentation arc (as expected).
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
BGMaxie wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Neru was cool, and I'm sad to see it go.

I agree, it is BS that it got the axe. That being said any way to check its sales? I personally don't know how or how to measure if it is good or bad.

Neither Neru or Red Hood have gotten sales numbers in yet - their first volumes released this week so we won't have any real numbers until next week. That said, going off their placement in the Oricon Top 500 for this week, they most certainly aren't selling very well compared to other new series from this year.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Yo are there really people shitting on We Nver Learn?? I think it's a much a better romcom series than Quintessential Quintuplets (I still liked it) & I will stand by this comment.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Saiphaz wrote:
Red Hood had a good idea, if a little unoriginal, and the introductory chapters were well executed, but the followup was incredibly clumsy and tone deaf. It was prepping us for a dark story reminiscent of Claymore, and instead it tries to sell us another special people academy with a long and boring test arc.

This is a good point. I don't think the "special people school" genre is bad or played out, but you need to prep your reader for it from the start. My Hero Academia takes several chapters to get Deku into the academy, but the title makes it obvious from the start that this is a school story, so you expect it. Naruto starts out by introducing the idea of a school for ninjas, and then Naruto is enrolled by chapter 3. Red Hood made the mistake of getting us all excited for this dark journey, then swerving and going "JUST KIDDING, IT'S SCHOOL TIME." So instead of the story feeling like it's about the school, the school feels like an obstacle between the reader and the story. I can see why this led to a fatal drop in popularity.

It's a shame, because I feel like if it had been given enough time, Red Hood would have shown its true potential. But time is a luxury when you're a Jump manga. You have to bring your A game from the very first page.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Wait what do you mean by “replaced by a character in Undead Unluck?”

I mean right when Red Hood ended, Undead Unluck reveal a buff character

mangamuscle wrote:
Do you mean Isshin? She is not as buff or has appeared (unarmored) as often. The closest level of female buff protagonism atm in WSJ is Star And Stripes in MHA, but I do not see her outliving her own presentation arc (as expected).

Well, I didn't want to spoil the people (since it just happen) and she is way more buffer than Debonair and I bet she'll be in the Manga more (Undead Unluck is a young series). Star And Stripes aren't close to a protagonist, but I do feel she might still be in the Manga after this (I have a theory)
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Pretty bummed about Red Hood. Every new manga I've read in SJ has gotten the axe far too soon and at this point I'll probably just use the app to read backlog or long running series to avoid disappointment. This felt like it could have been a modern classic if they gave it a chance. Hopefully the artist is able to try another series, that was some fantastic art.

I'm honestly a little surprised people were bothered by the pacing/plot in this case - it wasn't the best by any means, but it felt like a natural progression for a shonen manga as any to me.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
Shame that Neru got axed next. When it was first appeared, I thought I was seeing a birth of a really promising mangaka in a while. I really like the classic martial arts touch to it. It did falter in later chapters seemingly due to the pressure of being constantly in the bottom, and so preparing for a potential axe.

I wish Jump would start selling these titles digitally overseas maybe via manga plus. And maybe then to a degree, more global readers would deserve their say on their favorite titles, polling would be open globally and so it won't only depend on the Japanese readers. I feel like these two titles could have more chance to survive with the global readers' support.

Here lie the problem, people read mangaplus because it's free. You start to monetize it and the readers count would plummet. Also authors are paid according to the volume sales. Face it, global audiences don't pay enough to affect Japan domestic manga sale. Why cater to an audience that don't generate any revenue?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
I reccomend watching or reading Bakuman

Perfect way to get someone to not read the rest of your comment, lol. Seriously though, the business/insider part of Bakuman was the only thing worth the read. Unfortunately I still remain a part of the problem by not even touching new series; I just can get invested when nothing seems to last more than 6 months. Once in a while you get something like Chainsaw Man that is amazing while also not overstaying it's welcome.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
Yo are there really people shitting on We Nver Learn?? I think it's a much a better romcom series than Quintessential Quintuplets (I still liked it) & I will stand by this comment.

Aside from a few super vocal complaints about the ending (not that WNL escaped criticism for it's ending(s) either), general consensus from what I've seen is that Quints is overall more well-liked. Quints have also regularly absolutely demolished WNL in sales, and WNL never really performed poorly either.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:39 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Sekaro wrote:

Aside from a few super vocal complaints about the ending (not that WNL escaped criticism for it's ending(s) either), general consensus from what I've seen is that Quints is overall more well-liked. Quints have also regularly absolutely demolished WNL in sales, and WNL never really performed poorly either.

Well yeah. I obviously can't argue that QQ did better than WNL in terms of sales. QQ even has a movie in the works while WNL got an incredibly half-assed S2. There's no denying those facts. However, upon reading both series to completion, I can confidently say that WNL is the much better series here. If only the anime did it justice & actually adapted the final few arcs... Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4