• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ash, Brock's Latin American Voice Actors Petition For Region-Appropriate Spanish Translati

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
This is hilarious but also very important. Though might be one language, there are countless regional variances in Spanish in Latin America. Ages ago when Pokémon pops were a thing, kids back home had a ton of laughs because bug-types we're called "tipo bicho". In other regions, "bicho" or "bichito" means "bug"/"little bug". In Puerto Rico, "bicho" is slang for "penis". It's like the US/UK with "fanny packs" ("I didn't know they came in packs!"). I hope they go through with this.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Some context is needed to explain here: For years, most of the translations done for videogames, including dubs, were previously done exclusively in Spain. This is for a myriad of reasons:

1- Spain, like many EU countries, requires foreign media being translated in Spanish, using both the local dialect, and, in the case of voice acting, dubbed by Spaniard voice actors.

2- Since Spain, being both a NATO country, and a European Union one as well, was and still is traditionally a bigger market for media there, despite Spain has only 47 million people, compared with Latin America's 600 million people, with Mexico alone having 126 million and Brazil about 209 million.

3- The reason why Latin America was ignored for so many years on regards of translations is both mix of cultural reasons (Latin American countries traditionally prefer their media in their original language), cost reasons (dubbing in some Latin American countries, like Mexico, is pretty expensive), piracy (for years, most people prefered to pirare stuff over buying legal, a situation that gradually changed starting the Xbox 360/PS3 era) and outright racism/discrimination from the original rightholders (The Europan Spanish dialect is the one taught in language schools worldwide, even in the US and Canada. The Latin American dialects are rarely taught outside Latin America, because many people consider them as inferior and boorish compared with the European dialect. The only partial exception of this would be the Brazilian Portuguese dialect, and that because Brazil is much bigger, population-wise, to Portugal, despite Portugal is both a NATO and EU country)
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I support them. Makes no sense with how big TPC is, as they can afford to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1