• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livin_large

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Police in a pod wasn't bad it has catchy OP and EDs. Cute and Scary dealing with everyday problems. What is there to hate? People that liked You're under arrest might like this. I like when the Japanese curse like crazy.

It seemed like they're just cop-haters, same with the way game critics had issue with Astral Chain despite it being an amazing game. Some people just can't enjoy things.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I liked Police in a Box better, when it was called You're Under Arrest.

'nuff said.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This year's off to a rough start
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd say checking out Police in A Pod was definitely a worthwhile experience, if only because it reminded me how much I need to open my Sentai Patlabor boxset and give the ovas a rewatch. I could do with some genuine laughs in a police-base comedy.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Not a great first day of the new season, but not terrible.

Orient: Not exactly riveting, but I really enjoyed Magi so I’ll give this one a chance. (I kept waiting to Musashi’s pants to fall down—how are they staying up?)

In the Land of Leadale: kinda boring

Tokyo Twenty Fourth Ward: I really really liked it. Granted it was a double episode, but characters felt nicely fleshed out, it’s got a cool hook and the art was very good. Plus, the OP rocks! (But yeah, as DatRandomDude said, those behind-the-scenes stories are SO bad.)

Police in a Pod: made me laugh more than once, I’ma keep watching
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. Keep it nice, people. (And mind the overquoting.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:02 pm Reply with quote
SInce my post was removed, is there a reason why the term ACAB, which is a derogatory term that stands for All Cops Are Bastards was considered acceptable for a joke in the Police in a Pod review?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think I'd rather rewatch You're Under Arrest.

lol me too. This year I'm trying to watch everything new and not backtrack and im already struggling.

Leadale Who is this for? The designs are nice though.

Orient I like pickaxes but this gets out of hand. I like Oni so
i'll watch more

Tokyo 24-ku Seems the only favored first ep from Silverman It has an odd mix of candy colored super heroes meet beyond the grave minority report ideas. It could work but needs more this thing could go off course in ep 2. Lots of bass for the headphones, also do not drink that many energy drinks I am on Metformin because of just that. By the end I would think that woman would get a big fine. I'll watch more.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
SInce my post was removed, is there a reason why the term ACAB, which is a derogatory term that stands for All Cops Are Bastards was considered acceptable for a joke in the Police in a Pod review?

Not sure what you're referring to. Maybe you need to reread the sentence again? Smile

Quote:
Sadly Police in a Pod is here to prove that a proven formula can still fail, as it shows well and truly that ACAB: All Cops Are Boring.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman in article wrote:
While parts of the first half aren't particularly thrilling – gosh, I just love watching anime characters make okonomiyaki, don't you?

Well, some people actually do like to watch exactly that.

"Episode 8 is soundly the food episode, in my book, even if food isn't the sum total of the episode. It's even better than episode 4's okonomiyaki, which lives rent free in my mind." - Review of Super Cub Episode 8 by Mercedez Clewis

animenewsnetwork.com/review/super-cub/episode-8/.173261
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:26 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
09jcg wrote:

Not sure what you're referring to. Maybe you need to reread the sentence again? Smile

Quote:
Sadly Police in a Pod is here to prove that a proven formula can still fail, as it shows well and truly that ACAB: All Cops Are Boring.
I read it, what I want to know is why its considered an acceptable pun. Are other slurs considered okay if twisted in an attempt to make a pun? Whats the standard, are slurs based on sexual orientation, race, gender, or ethnicity considered okay if twisted into a pun? If a reviewer were to make a joke based oft the N-word for example but couched it in a way where its a pun, would that be okay? We all know what ACAB is a play on.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:29 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
lossthief wrote:
09jcg wrote:

Quote:
I read it, what I want to know is why its considered an acceptable pun. Are other slurs considered okay if twisted in an attempt to make a pun? Whats the standard, are slurs based on sexual orientation, race, gender, or ethnicity considered okay if twisted into a pun?

Given how cops literally get away with murder, the original meaning of ACAB is not derogatory.
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:32 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

fuuma_monou wrote:

Given how cops literally get away with murder, the original meaning of ACAB is not derogatory.
This would be an example as to why I feel its inappropriate for it to be in a review.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:08 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
lossthief wrote:
09jcg wrote:

Quote:
I read it, what I want to know is why its considered an acceptable pun. Are other slurs considered okay if twisted in an attempt to make a pun? Whats the standard, are slurs based on sexual orientation, race, gender, or ethnicity considered okay if twisted into a pun? If a reviewer were to make a joke based oft the N-word for example but couched it in a way where its a pun, would that be okay? We all know what ACAB is a play on.

Come on, now. ACAB clearly isn't a slur. A slur, by definition, is a noun. ACAB is a slogan.

Also, a factual statement.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Catbutt Oni Fighters, starring Musashi's belly button, was fine. I actually did like the main characters ok, and don't mind the Burning Shounen Spirit™ coursing through its cels. For now I'll keep watching in hopes of learning why all the miners are redheads and why the catbutt oni have crystals under their tails...or why the motorcycle is bedazzled with crystals for that matter.

I'm less sold on Tokyo Trolley Ward. I had trouble feeling any of the RBG guys' trauma or copes, and don't know why nobody (including themselves) noticed that their eyes were all freaky looking after the ghost call up until they solved the problem.

I especially wanted to pound my head into the wall at how Mari somehow managed to get her foot caught under the track, and why she couldn't get free, but Shuta was able to just scoop her up in the nick of time (and free the dog!) like she was never wedged, without breaking her ankle or something. That whole thing was just too stupid to bear.

So do I keep watching and save the jobs of hundreds with my viewership, or do I switch tracks and save myself? Hmmm...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19