• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Launches Higehiro, I'm Quitting Heroing, The Insipid Prince's Furtive Grab for the Th

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit different setup from J-Novel Club, where they had the pre-publication parts available to read to subscribers and to discuss those in forum threads along with the actual translators essentially acting as translator checkers etc, Kadokawa's version is simply to sell the parts, piece by piece, without user interaction.(I'll be surprised if the combined price of those doesn't exceed full volume price....)

It may be they have taken cues from J-Novel Club(Kadokawa acquired them a while back) but as it is implemented in their version, I have doubts about its success...
Rogural

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll be able to print physicals of these at some time in the near future.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested in full compiled digital volumes of Higehiro, but only time will tell if those happen or if we just get individual pieces.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I read parts of the Higehiro translation and boy is it a doozy. Lets just say it reads really stiff, like its a machine translation. This is what happens when a Japanese company thinks they can translate into English better than native English speakers.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
I read parts of the Higehiro translation and boy is it a doozy. Lets just say it reads really stiff, like its a machine translation. This is what happens when a Japanese company thinks they can translate into English better than native English speakers.

Aw, that's a big disappointment as it was the only one here I was really looking forward to. Guess I'll skip it, then.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
Kinda surprised at the negative reviews I've seen so far on Higehiro; not because I think it is great but because you'd think the launch of a reasonably well-known title would be more carefully done.

A bit surprised at the choice to use "Insipid Prince" too. "Dull Prince" is what I've seen it called for a few years, and dull is certainly a more well-known and understood word than insipid. I'd wager a portion of the potential audience don't know what insipid is. It and dull mean roughly the same thing but I suppose insipid sounds a bit more sinister or dark and that's why they went with the choice? Regardless, it is a really good story and I enjoyed the WN translation before it was licensed so I hope this official release will do the story justice.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:01 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:

Do you happen to know how it compares to the fan translation? (That one translated the images as well)
Expectation is the official version is better. If it isn't that's very bad...
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

Do you happen to know how it compares to the fan translation? (That one translated the images as well)
I thought the fan translation was halfway decent. I checked out a review of the official Higehiro LN on another site and some of the excerpts they pulled out were pretty bad. It read like bad MTL. Interestingly enough, the translation company is apparently the same one that does translation for manga plus; which sort of ties into some of the disturbing translation practices brought up in the other ANN article that just dropped where manga plus discussed possibly using MTL in the future

https://animeuknews.net/2022/01/kadokawas-higehiro-light-novel-release-a-troubling-translation/

That's the review I was referring to
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:02 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
I thought the fan translation was halfway decent. I checked out a review of the official Higehiro LN on another site and some of the excerpts they pulled out were pretty bad. It read like bad MTL.
https://animeuknews.net/2022/01/kadokawas-higehiro-light-novel-release-a-troubling-translation/

Well, ok, they just lost a sure sale from me. And I was really looking forward to reading this version too...
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:35 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I thought the fan translation was halfway decent. I checked out a review of the official Higehiro LN on another site and some of the excerpts they pulled out were pretty bad. It read like bad MTL. Interestingly enough, the translation company is apparently the same one that does translation for manga plus; which sort of ties into some of the disturbing translation practices brought up in the other ANN article that just dropped where manga plus discussed possibly using MTL in the future

This one?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

No, this one;
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2022-01-11/manga-plus-editor-explains-why-shonen-jump-handles-overseas-distribution-in-house/.181396
Quote:
On the other hand, Momiyama said in the interview that translation costs are currently very high. He said that the quality of machine translation is still very low, but that "in 10 years it should improve," adding that "if we can produce high-quality translations in many different languages, it will be a game-changer all over again."

Though your link IS relevant too...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1