• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yaoi Paddle Kickstarter Aims to Revitalize Anime Fandom History

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tokimemofan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:05 am Reply with quote
Forgive me for not being able to stop laughing. One of the most obnoxious vendors I’ve ever encountered complains that someone else is trying to remake their most obnoxious product.
CaperCA#t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:30 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
On the actual topic, this seems like 8 different kinds of bad idea. There are a lot of things from the mid-2000s era con culture that died deserved deaths, and paddles were definitely one of them. Keep these in the grave next to glomping and colossus screams.

And what exactly is wrong with glomping!?! The act of just hugging someone with a little kick in your step. A spread of affection with no ill-intention? To suggest a simple common and innocent activity like that bad.

What is up with that.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:53 am Reply with quote
CaperCA#t wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
On the actual topic, this seems like 8 different kinds of bad idea. There are a lot of things from the mid-2000s era con culture that died deserved deaths, and paddles were definitely one of them. Keep these in the grave next to glomping and colossus screams.

And what exactly is wrong with glomping!?! The act of just hugging someone with a little kick in your step. A spread of affection with no ill-intention? To suggest a simple common and innocent activity like that bad.

What is up with that.

Are you seriously asking what's so bad about unsolicited and surprise physical contact from strangers?
Kyiev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:26 am Reply with quote
That's what you get when you trying to steal and make money out of it you criminal Razz
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
While I would also prefer this specific item of infamy to remain buried. From a copyright perspective I have my doubts. The paddle design as a generic item is public domain, the terms Yaoi and Yuri are also public domain. While there may be an issue creating an exact replica of the previous item, any changes could be considered derivatives including font changes and word play changes. Not to mention the admitted fact that the items are now long out of production, there are examples of court leniency because of just the last part.

On the flip side the original creator or assumed creator is doing the right thing as well, because Copyright is use it or lose it. They would need to defend it, and possibly now even provide evidence that they were the original creator.

Regardless, just let Yaoi paddles stay dead.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
CaperCA#t wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

What is up with that.

Are you seriously asking what's so bad about unsolicited and surprise physical contact from strangers?

I'm reminded of a story from Greg Ayres about him being glomped at a convention when he happened to be at the top of a flight of stairs. Both he and the glomper proceeded to tumble down those stairs.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Ah, they should have just made the spiked club from Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan. It would be a new item, and have a lot more interest at conventions, than the out of date Yaoi paddles.

Oh, I forgot, con attendees can sing "Pipiru-piru-piru-pipiru-pii" while waving the clubs around.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

On the flip side the original creator or assumed creator is doing the right thing as well, because Copyright is use it or lose it. They would need to defend it, and possibly now even provide evidence that they were the original creator.

That's trademark - use it, defend it, or lose it
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
CaperCA#t wrote:

What is up with that.

Oh my God. Look, my first con was in 2006, so I was aware of Yaoi paddles and how people used them, but never actually saw them used that way (only visibly carried as fandom badges of pride, basically). But glomping? Good looooord, was *that* ever a thing. Just random-ass tackle-hugs out of nowhere from complete strangers, TO complete strangers. It could be because you were a celebrity (I’ll never forget a panel from then up-and-coming Monica Rial about how you should give voice actors some friggin’ SPACE, y’all, as she recounted how one fan slipped a piece of paper under a toilet stall for her to autograph), or it could just be that you cosplayed as someone’s favorite character, and they’d decided to express their enthusiasm by…possibly physically wrecking your hard-earned costume.

It did eventually die down to the point that as I was filtering out of the con scene a few years later, people were starting to learn to *ask* for hugs, photos, what-have-you, but the sheer rampant freedom to just physically launch yourself at a complete stranger with almost zero social consequences cannot be understated. It was truly wild.
Anne F

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh goodness. That person definitely did not think this through. I had to laugh at them asking people to not misuse them. Like, were they actually expecting people to adhere to their request because that wasn't going to happen. That's quite the optimistic request. lol Maybe some people wouldn't misuse them, but come on. Let's be realistic here. I could see them being a new tiktok trend and we just don't need these things being well, a thing again.

While I'm not really in the con scene anymore, I started going to cons in 2003 and I remember both the yaoi paddles (I can still hear the Hen Da Ne guy shouting across the dealers hall) and glomping being the absolute worst. Let both stay dead please.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Most of this I chalk up to groups of teenagers doing dumb things. Not that I agree that non-consensual smacking is ever a good idea, but when you're young, dumb and around alcohol and other substances at conventions, good judgment often goes out the window and gives rise to a lot of really dumb stuff. Just think of some of the dumb things you might have done during the under-21 phase of your life.

Having attended YaoiCon for a number of years, I have never seen anyone non-consensually smack anyone else. I know it's called a yaoi paddle but I've seen far more non-consensual touching at Anime Expo or any other non-yaoi affiliated conventions.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
The yaoi paddle experience at the convention I used to go to went like this: paddles are sold at dealer room, after a few conventions where people were getting worse about not smacking people with them a rule was made that they could be sold, but smacking would not be tolerated. After trying that once, they banned them entirely because some people, apparently, could not control themselves, even with a rule that risked them getting booted.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
Dude says he wants to “keep it wholesome” when there’s nothing wholesome about these things.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Henry AL wrote:
can't forbid everyone from making another yaoi paddle for the rest of the time, only to not produce paddles themselves.

They can forbid you from replicating their design for at least 50 years after they produced it, probably longer.

Quote:
Hen Da Ne are not the original creators of the Yaoi Paddle[...] Akicafe, the artist who claims to have created the original Yaoi Paddle design.

According to Akicafe, Hen Da Ne bought the rights from Akicafe. Assuming the copyrights were properly transferred (eg: there's a proper contract transferring the copyright for the design from Akicafe to Hen Da Ne) then Hen Dan Ne does indeed "own" the copyright and can indeed stop people from ripping off the design they "own."

But they only own the design, not the concept. Just make it slightly different. Find out if they have a trademark for the term "Yaoi Paddle," if they do you can't use that term, but you can make paddles with a different design, write Yaoi on them and call them "Yaoi Sticks."
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:15 pm Reply with quote
How do you patent a piece of wood?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6