• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Maid I Hired Recently Is Mysterious

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
Butler Lilith (and the Lilith fashion show) was quite a sight. I can imagine some parents not reacting too well to Lilith and her chest on display, although I'm kind of wondering how much she had to bound those babies to pull off the butler look.

Seeing Yuuri's parents (Jun Fukuyama!) really made the tragedy of their death and the loss in his life more apparent when we see what a loving and affectionate family they were. But that also makes it more clear how important it is that he has Lilith there with him now.

Lilith being upset that he's not suspicious of her was a great reversal.
mironicus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:57 am Reply with quote
No one cares that this show obviously glorifies romantic relationships between children and young adults tarnished as a "light comedy"?

A suspicious caretaker takes advantage of an orphan's dependancy so it may become her plaything? Always seductive and suggestive towards the boy?

There is also no one within the show who is opposed to their relationship (this would be the "bad guy"), It is the opposite, they are being supported.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:27 am Reply with quote
mironicus wrote:
No one cares that this show obviously glorifies romantic relationships between children and young adults tarnished as a "light comedy"?

A suspicious caretaker takes advantage of an orphan's dependancy so it may become her plaything? Always seductive and suggestive towards the boy?

There is also no one within the show who is opposed to their relationship (this would be the "bad guy"), It is the opposite, they are being supported.

It might appear that way from the outside, but episode 4 shows why Lilith is saying weird things. She doesn't know how to appear like a mature adult that Yuuri can look up to, so she is going overboard in her attempts to appear that way. She doesn't realize what she says sounds like seduction. Also, Yuuri does not see it that way either, calling her behavior out as suspicious instead. He also counters by saying things that could be interpreted as being romantic, embarrassing her, but his actions make it clear that he isn't romantically attracted to her.

That is what is supposed to make this funny instead of offputting. I personally didn't think it was funny after the third time or so since this humor premise has been run into the ground, but it has been made clear that Lilith isn't there to take advantage of Yuuri. We don't know why yet, but she is here because she cares about his wellbeing. As long as that remains the case, my problems with the show do not include their relationship.

Also, nobody is supporting or opposing the pair right now. Some people know that Lilith is Yuuri's maid, but nobody has seen their dynamic yet.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Am I wrong or was this not advertised from the getgo as a romcom of some sort? I mean, Lilith's VA is a self-admitted shotacon...

I don't think it's meant to be taken that seriously. There is a lot of closeness and connection between Yuuri and Lilith, they're obviously the two most important people to each other right now, Lilith seems to be nestling feelings and care she's had for him for years and Lilith is the closest Yuuri's felt to someone since his family died. I don't think this is a show worth exploring any implications or possibly problematic dynamics when it's just meant to be lighthearted and fun.
bunniko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel a little exasperated with the latest review.

Quote:
The problem is, the show beats that idea over your head without ever really addressing the fact that a romance between them isn't really something that should be seriously entertained.

This show is an oneesan x shota romcom. Despite the reviewer previously implying they weren't convinced it was always meant as a romcom, a truly baffling claim if ever there was one, it's based on a manga series that was deep in the romcom waters long before the first episode even aired. Even before it started running in a magazine it was a romcom.

The point of this series is the development of their relationship into a romantic one. That is why the series exists. To enjoy the humor, enjoy how they play off each other, and see how they end up together.

The only possible reason for a show that exists for this purpose to address the fact that a relationship shouldn't be entertained would be as a hurdle for the pair to overcome on their road to ending up together. Either an internal one with Lilith letting herself love him in spite of this, or an external one with them having to deal with someone opposed to their relationship.

At this point, I think it's safe to say that the original author just isn't interested in that angle, however.

The reviewer also seems to think that found family and romance are inherently exclusive to each other. Instead of a romantic relationship itself being one kind of family. Is the assumption that Yor and Loid in Spy x Family will eventually end up together inherently contradictory with the found family angle of the show many people enjoy? Not at all. It's perfectly complimentary.

The thing the reviewer finds contradictory is simply that the kind of family Yuuri and Lilith find in each other isn't the kind the reviewer wants them to. It knows where it's going and it knows what it wants to be, but the reviewer doesn't want it to be that and so they invent a contradiction.

If you don't want a show about an oneeshota romantic relationship, I would advise not watching an oneeshota romcom just because you like the found family aspects. I would advise this for the same reason I'd recommend against someone who hates loli watching Kodomo no Jikan just because they appreciate its handling of trauma.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem is, the show beats that idea over your head without ever really addressing the fact that a romance between them isn't really something that should be seriously entertained.

It was geared towards romance ever since it was a twitter comic, before it got published in Gangan JOKER, before it was published as books(all three versions differ somewhat). But it develops slowly so it might not be too obvious at first.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:39 am Reply with quote
when i open a news , i see two colors pink and some bluish, is this some anti homo ad / support ? not like i have a problem about it , just asking
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I know about Lilith is that she's the girl from the opening, with the long hair and black dress when she a child. Depending on the timeskip, she filled out very nicely.

I always love the way Lilith teases Yuuri, and the pan-up shorts they do for Lilith's teasing. All in all, I'm curious as to how she knows Fujisaki. They know each other from before the series began. I'm curious to see if that's explained.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I love how Tsukasa seems to have friends but only held a Halloween party for herself and Yuuri so she could see more of Yuuri and Lilith together. And finally dress up Fujisaki (who looks amazing as a princess). Everyone's costumes were great!

I'm guessing the mystery of Lilith's former employer and why they want her back will probably return with a vengeance near the finale.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, micronicus, how can one not be accepting of love? Plenty of people will say that love is love, to be accepted and celebrated and nothing can be wrong with it. It is never toxic or twisted or selfish, except said to be that way by hateful people. Ep7 is a prime example as lillith willingly sleeps with Yuuri so he can get some (sleep) and sings him a mother's lullaby. So beautiful. I wish I were Yuuri. Sad

What may Ep8 bring??

Love,
Hiroki NT
(Tsukasa) Gojouin Shipping Company Wink
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:02 am Reply with quote
Tsukasa's antics and Lilith's attempts to be an "adult" by flirting will never get old.

I guess now it's out there that Yuuri is in love with Lilith even if he doesn't quite understand those feelings.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
The insight I got from the episode was what Tsukasa was missing, and almost, but not quite, understood at the end.
At this point, it's not important that he's attracted to her, what is much more important is that he is damaged and lonely and Lilith fills that void. Right now, he needs her unconditional love, not her romantic love.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mironicus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:24 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
but it has been made clear that Lilith isn't there to take advantage of Yuuri.

Well, she is taking advantage of him because she is dishonest the whole time. She leaves him alone with many questions about herself and about his loving feelings that are supposed to be a "curse" she has put on him. He can't rely on her to answer this questions - she just does not tell him and she continues to be dishonest. She also now relies on Yuuri to remember everything about her.

She is selfish, dishonest and lies to the one she loves without showing the slightest bit of guilt. She is cute outside, but a devil inside. Laughing
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
mironicus wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
but it has been made clear that Lilith isn't there to take advantage of Yuuri.

Well, she is taking advantage of him because she is dishonest the whole time. She leaves him alone with many questions about herself and about his loving feelings that are supposed to be a "curse" she has put on him. He can't rely on her to answer this questions - she just does not tell him and she continues to be dishonest. She also now relies on Yuuri to remember everything about her.

She is selfish, dishonest and lies to the one she loves without showing the slightest bit of guilt. She is cute outside, but a devil inside. Laughing

Yeah, I wrote that post before the more recent episodes made that more clear. At the time, the complaints about the premise weren't backed up by what was in the anime. It's different now, and I don't really know how to feel yet. I'm hoping that by the time the season ends, there is some sort of conclusion about what the two of them want.
#Droneku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:41 pm Reply with quote
You have to be blind, or being too much of a normie, to not notice that this going to be a romance.

The characters designs SCREAM a shota doujinshi.

The developments are not a surprise at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3