• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Uncle From Another World Insider Paints Gloomy Picture of Anime's Production Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:32 am Reply with quote
Matcha8 wrote:

It's not my place nor my intention to defend someone else's translation. And I have not claimed expertise on being able to accurately translate the tweet myself. Translation is not a math, which is why there's always a need to interpret, as you've said yourself, beyond strictly translating word for word of the source. And all interpretation has a degree of inaccuracy to it beyond the most literal intention of the source. And yet you've claimed that there is a definite black and white, right and wrong, to all parts of the translation, including what is obviously interpolated in both yours and Lynzee's translation. I may have left out something to emphasize the "pettiness," but so have you chosen to interpret things to your own convenience. Such is the nature of both translation and interpretation.

*He also mentioned an incident where he reminded a staff member to "not treat a person I introduced to them carelessly, and to please act appropriately through the final episode."

I don't see the sentence insinuating the animation team has treated the introduced person badly. That's merely your interpretation. You did not write this translation so there's no way for you to confirm whether the translator has made this insinuation.

Similarly, unless you're the tweet author themselves, or that you've confirmed it with the author themselves, there's no way for you to fully confirm the real intent of the author. It's egotistical for any translator to claim that their translation represent THE truth unless the translator is translating his own work.

Translation isn't an exact science, but saying "I eat an apple" when the original language is "I eat an orange" is a factual error that can be pointed out and corrected. There are errors with that translation by the article writer, and I'm pointing them out. There's no room for "interpretation" here, this is not a novel. One sentence in Twitter has been mistranslated and is being passed off as gospel, with whatever intent behind it lost through mistranslation. I have not questioned the accuracy of anything else, just that line.

So hiding behind your "translation vs. interpretation" when YOU aren't even the article writer makes you no better than me at trying to interpret the intent of the tweet author quoted in the article in question. Since you're not in any position to debate the accuracy of the translation and can do nothing more than snipe from behind your post-factual high horse, I don't think I have much more to say regarding your position.

It's up to the article writer to either address the issue or ignore it since it's only a minority of readers like me who actually notice there's a gross factual error in that quoted sentence.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:15 am Reply with quote
Apples and oranges that look terribly similar to each other:

Your full translation:
I've conveyed my expectations to the studio that they maintain the high standards they've maintained thus far up to the production of the final episode and doing this without treating the staff I've introduced to the animators for this project like dirt

Lynzee’s full translation:
not treat a person I introduced to them carelessly, and to please act appropriately through the final episode

The gross factual error:
There is no incident, he is not reminding staff members.

Merriam Webster definition:
incident: an occurrence of an action or situation that is a separate unit of experience
remind: to put in mind of something
convey: to impart or communicate by statement, suggestion, gesture, or

To remind and to convey are both an action, and hence an incident.
The interchangeability of remind and convey in this context.

Sniping from my post-factual high horse.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:41 am Reply with quote
My translation (deliberate attempt by user Matcha8 to use the first liberal translation, which I have already apologized for and do not intend to use henceforth):

Tweet author has conveyed his request (to the production team/animation team) that they treat the staff he introduced to them for this project with respect until the end of the final episode to be produced for this adaptation.

Article author's translation:

*He also mentioned an incident where he reminded a staff member to "not treat a person I introduced to them carelessly, and to please act appropriately through the final episode."

Incident (Oxford Dictionary: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/incident_1?q=incident)
something that happens, especially something unusual or unpleasant
a serious or violent event, such as a crime, an accident or an attack
a disagreement between two countries, often involving military forces

There is no incident (nothing in the original sentence mentions an incident, which according to someone playing hard and fast with facts is the same thing as an action), staff member refers to the people the tweet author introduced, not the object of his request (which is not explicitly stated in the sentence), please act appropriately through the final episode is clear machine translation of only part of the sentence, whereas the block must be translated in full. Remind in English may be a synonym of convey, but in Japanese the verb used is very different and will not be translated as such.

Yes, very similar to each other. Probably to someone who has colour blindness and cannot tell the difference between the two fruits when they're tasted. This coming from someone who has already admitted he cannot translate the same sentence on his own without machine help, so spends time and energy trying to win a semantics battle from the post-truth high horse.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:10 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Remind in English may be a synonym of convey, but in Japanese the verb used is very different and will not be translated as such.

The article is targeted towards English reader. And if convey and remind are synonyms, then it is not wrong to use either of the two verbs in the translation.

Harleyquin wrote:
This coming from someone who has already admitted he cannot translate the same sentence on his own without machine help, so spends time and energy trying to win a semantics battle from the post-truth high horse.

Admit where? Never have I once mentioned I needed machine help to translate this particular sentence. I may not have absolute confidence in my translation ability, unlike you, I can understand and translate basic Japanese just fine. I'd appreciate if you don't put words into my mouth. And the irony of thinking translation is not about semantics; what is translation if not about semantics?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:15 am Reply with quote
Liar. If you can translate it just fine, what's with the "It's not my place nor my intention to defend someone else's translation. And I have not claimed expertise on being able to accurately translate the tweet myself."?

The sentence in question IS basic Japanese, so why are you arguing otherwise?

If you've got the guts to defend your favourite article writer, put up or shut up. I'm waiting for the time difference to pass before the article writer herself either dismisses my argument using your line of "logic", or decides to incorporate what I've argued in an edit. Not your call, nor have you been convincing to any degree that I'm being "petty" with my concerns on that line.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

If you've got the guts to defend your favourite article writer, put up or shut up. I'm waiting for the time difference to pass before the article writer herself either dismisses my argument using your line of "logic", or decides to incorporate what I've argued in an edit. Not your call, nor have you been convincing to any degree that I'm being "petty" with my concerns on that line.

Right here you're basically showing your hand that this whole 2-page song and dance is all because you have it in for Lynzee. Go huff your own farts somewhere else please. Rolling Eyes
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

Liar. If you can translate it just fine, what's with the "It's not my place nor my intention to defend someone else's translation. And I have not claimed expertise on being able to accurately translate the tweet myself."?

The sentence in question IS basic Japanese, so why are you arguing otherwise?

Yawn. Glad I went to bed. All your true colors are showing here. You can't even defend your accusations without calling me names. So much for the pretenses.

"I have not claimed expertise on being able to accurately translate the tweet myself" Use your reading comprehension. I said I'm not sure of my accuracy but that does not mean I cannot translate it. Accuracy and translation is not the same thing, as have already been demonstrated by your crappy translation which you held up as the holy grail.

And so much accusations. No one's my favorite article writer here. But seeing someone so butt hurt about a minute detail that they argued for an entire thread so that *their own* translation can be incorporated into the article. What is this but not petty behavior?
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I am seeing here is that we have two people arguing that their translation is better than the other person's, instead of discussing the issue at hand. Mad
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm waiting for the time difference to pass before the article writer herself either dismisses my argument using your line of "logic", or decides to incorporate what I've argued in an edit.

I don't work on the weekends. This Monday is my wedding anniversary. Have a good one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ANN_Lynzee"]
Quote:

I don't work on the weekends. This Monday is my wedding anniversary. Have a good one.

Happy Anniversary Lynzee, I wish you and your partner the best.

Now for me, my Japanese comprehension isn't the best. But I do think the article provided translation is sufficient.

My concern is that will these delays kill this project or does the production committee have the funds to secure more time-slots into the next season? Will we have to wait 3-9 months for episodes 8-13? I hope this show continues as it is my favorite of this season. So I would be sad to see it get axed.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
My concern is that will these delays kill this project or does the production committee have the funds to secure more time-slots into the next season? Will we have to wait 3-9 months for episodes 8-13? I hope this show continues as it is my favorite of this season. So I would be sad to see it get axed.

Yeah, I’m really enjoying it, so far. I’ve found it to be consistently funny and entertaining, with truly great face game! Fingers crossed, things get sorted out.

Oh, and I second the Happy Anniversary, Lynzee! Very Happy
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh gosh, thanks everybody!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:02 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

Your article, your rules. Wouldn't surprise me either way if I was ignored entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2