• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Handyman Saitō in Another World (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Handyman Saitō in Another World (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 10 Volumes, by Kazutomo Ichitomo)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: C2C

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance

Themes: demons, ecchi, fairies, gore, isekai, magical creatures, medieval, monsters, reincarnation, romantic subtext, segments, sorcery

Plot Summary: Saitō is an ordinary handyman who is reincarnated into another world. He forms a dungeon exploring party with Raelza, a beautiful and strong warrior; Morok, a powerful magician who due to his senility keeps forgetting spells; and Lafanpan, a cute but miserly fairy. His handyman experience is helpful for when they need to open a locked chest or fix their armor.

Air Date & Platform:
January 8, 2023 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:12 am; edited 4 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't expecting this to be a series of animated comic strips instead of a normal story format, but it was still a nice change of pace. And proof that not all isekai are the same.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Another pleasant isekai surprise. I rolled my eyes at the premise but the execution was actually kind of amusing and charming. Sometimes an isekai reveals right in the first episode how the transferee got to the new world and sometimes not. This is obviously a not case. My watch list is getting scarily long but past experience tells me a cull is coming at some point. This one may actually survive it.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:57 am Reply with quote
My watch list is getting scarily long but past experience tells me a cull is coming at some point. This one may actually survive it.>>

I'm in the same boat, and what's crazy is, there are still 9 anime I want to preview, and some of them I have high hopes for.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:19 am Reply with quote
After seeing a second door behind the first door, I went "careful, mimics can look like doors too". And then when they saw a chest in the middle of the room like that and looked excited to go to it, I went "now that is totally a mimic, why are they running right up to touch it." Actually let my guard down a second time before it suddenly transformed, must have been a really patient mimic.

Being mostly short strips is a little different, but I found it mostly charming. I also like the more western part of it. Although maybe parts were a bit predictable, such as that I easily saw in that one skit that it would be the smaller girl with the large weapon.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:38 am Reply with quote
Ep2- One of several shows that I am loving and this one not only for the refreshingly unconventional format but that Saito isn't the only interesting character and the writer has the guts to follow characters that aren't even the main group and make them interesting. The jokes are short and hit every time too. Also appreciating Saito how in our world he was put down as being a "jack of all trades and master of none" when this shows as IRL such a person is more skilled and valuable than so-called "elites". Hope some Japanese young people take this to heart and realize that everyone has value and embrace the old adage "all work is honorable"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:43 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The jokes are short and hit every time too. Also appreciating Saito how in our world he was put down as being a "jack of all trades and master of none"

The Jack of all trades thing fits bard, and he generally fits the role of support. I was generally thinking of him classing into rogue, but I suppose that his tool proficiency can alone come from his background, and take the variant human trait of getting a feat that somehow gives him expertise.

The wizard with the giant staff reminded me of an old joke of the "orc wizard". That being an orc who claims to be a wizard, but does all their magic through a literal sense of brute strength.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I'm loving the humour of this show. The other cool thing is that I'm pretty sure the snippets of characters we are seeing will feature in future episodes instead of being one off skits which should be really fun. Another example of an isekai that I looked askance at when all I knew was the title but that is really delivering.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:56 am Reply with quote
Also figures that he is another victim of truck-kun.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:11 am Reply with quote
No kidding. If anime is accurate, then Japan must have the highest pedestrian fatality rate in the world. Plus, the most colds.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:48 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

Have you ever taken a look at how city streets are shown in anime and manga. A lot of streets do not have sidewalks as such. The appear to be paved with the same material from house to house at the same level. You can only tell where the walk areas are from some markings and the placement of light poles. The places to put your trash are better marked. There also seems to be a lack of stop signs and stop lights.

Also note how many small collections of flowers you see at light poles. Likely someone got killed there. Truck-kun doesn't even have to bump over the curb to get you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:36 am Reply with quote
That's true, Alan45, but again if we take anime as gospel, then we also have to consider that Japanese people seem prone to getting lost in their thoughts even to the extent of not hearing or seeing a massive truck barrelling towards them...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't take the actions of the characters in the show as indicative of the Japanese. What they do is more likely plot driven. However, having seen actual videos of cell phone zombies walking into fountains or into light poles I don't find it too difficult to imagine people unaware of their surroundings.

What I do consider likely true are the background details of anime shown in modern Japan. Those elements that are consistent from one show to another. Stuff like the way the streets look in the areas near homes, the way most of the schools seem to be from a single pattern, the presence of shrines on high places. Did you ever stop to think how much human labor went into those shrines? All those rock stairs and paved areas of dry laid stone. All done before the advent of machine construction.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:24 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 3

I'm loving the humour of this show. The other cool thing is that I'm pretty sure the snippets of characters we are seeing will feature in future episodes instead of being one off skits which should be really fun. Another example of an isekai that I looked askance at when all I knew was the title but that is really delivering.

Yah, apparently the new labyrinth is going to be the tie that binds, and they'll start encountering one another.

I don't know that I'd like it if a lot of anime started doing this format - the last time I saw it was with some student council anime a few years back. But as is, it's a nice change of pace.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Huh. That was kind of a tone shift. No more light-hearted brief segments. I didn't dislike it but it was a little jarring. Interesting that both sides have claims on our sympathy. I'll be interested to see how this confrontation resolves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3