• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AI VTuber Neuro-sama Banned From Twitch After Holocaust Denial Comment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:42 pm Reply with quote
catone2 wrote:
Releasing an AI on twitch is the source of the problem.

Nah, even if you let the bot loose on a closed network with only access to elementary schoolers, it would still be offensive soon enough.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:17 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Though seriously, it's pretty inevitable for a chatbot to become offensive once it spends enough time on the internet.

My thoughts too.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:39 pm Reply with quote
This reminds of that time when an AI chabot got shut down because it started to spew racists rants due to trolls input like saying certain minorities will be gone, which a human asks the AI if that was threat, which response saying it's a promise.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:41 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
This reminds of that time when an AI chabot got shut down because it started to spew racists rants due to trolls input like saying certain minorities will be gone, which a human asks the AI if that was threat, which response saying it's a promise.

The fate of all things in this vein. Like the people who will always draw penises on a wall or in videos games if given the chance. People like being disruptive.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Don't you people know? The AI learns just like human brains do </sarcasm>
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:53 pm Reply with quote
If there are going to be Holocaust deniers, then AI or not, it's going to have to take more than just banhammering to settle the issue. You don't settle the issue by immediately banhammering because their words are offensive to a certain ethnic group, you give them the facts. If they choose to strawman the issue after the fact, then swing the banhammer.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:00 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
If there are going to be Holocaust deniers, then AI or not, it's going to have to take more than just banhammering to settle the issue. You don't settle the issue by immediately banhammering because their words are offensive to a certain ethnic group, you give them the facts. If they choose to strawman the issue after the fact, then swing the banhammer.

I'm sorry, but this is stupid. We teach the Holocaust in most schools in the western world, these people already know the facts. We have books, photos, films, we have museums filled with physical records of it. They are choosing to believe in an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory DESPITE these facts and records because it suits their own narrative. You can't "settle the issue" with reason because they weren't reasoned into it.

Also, it is always morally okay to block or ban people for spreading hate speech or, as you put it, "words that are offensive to a certain ethnic group."
kaoru99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:03 am Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is stupid. We teach the Holocaust in most schools in the western world, these people already know the facts. We have books, photos, films, we have museums filled with physical records of it. They are choosing to believe in an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory DESPITE these facts and records because it suits their own narrative. You can't "settle the issue" with reason because they weren't reasoned into it.

You're both operating under the assumption the people who do this actually believe this. Most of them do it "for the lulz" as the saying goes by trying to get a chatbot or AI to say things like this just to troll and mess with people not because they actually believe it. Just like we don't need to educate the people who post pictures of guillotines evetime some politician does something that they don't like that murder is wrong and illegal. They know. They're just trolling and doing the funnys.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:19 am Reply with quote
kaoru99 wrote:
You're both operating under the assumption the people who do this actually believe this. Most of them do it "for the lulz" as the saying goes by trying to get a chatbot or AI to say things like this just to troll and mess with people not because they actually believe it. Just like we don't need to educate the people who post pictures of guillotines evetime some politician does something that they don't like that murder is wrong and illegal. They know. They're just trolling and doing the funnys.

Yes, I am working under the assumption that anti-Semitism exists and occurs in real life. Because it does. Whether people spread this "for the luls" doesn't matter, because there are people who genuinely believe it. Nearly a quarter of young Americans, in fact. Please don't compare minimalizing genocidal campaigns with a bunch of people joking about eating the rich on Twitter.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
Yes, I am working under the assumption that anti-Semitism exists and occurs in real life. Because it does. Whether people spread this "for the luls" doesn't matter, because there are people who genuinely believe it. Nearly a quarter of young Americans, in fact. Please don't compare minimalizing genocidal campaigns with a bunch of people joking about eating the rich on Twitter.

One can turn that concern trolling around on you. You claim those are just "jokes" about killing affluent people as if there weren't very real assassination attempts on politicians like Brett Kavanaugh and Nancy Pelosi in the past year, among other examples of very real threats and violence involving class or politics.

It seems perfectly fine to compare joking about murdering people with joking about the murdering of people. If anything, given the environment we live in today, the threats should be more of a concern as taking them more seriously and investigating them could lead to preventing another violent attack from happening. One is no more of a joke just because you may have just told on yourself that you do it yourself or don't think it's a big deal to fantasize about murdering people you don't like in an era where nutjobs take those ideas seriously and act upon them.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:55 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
What you're saying here, flame, is ironic considering that these people most likely had the exact same teachings about the Holocaust in their schools as we've had in ours.

No, that's not ironic. Because that's exactly what I said. They have been taught about the Holocaust in school, and they believe in Holocaust denial despite that education. Someone telling them "Hey, the holocaust exists" on social media isn't going to change their mind when we have museums of evidence that haven't already. The idea that you shouldn't block or ban people for hate speech because you should try educating them is dumb.

King Chicken wrote:
One can turn that concern trolling around on you. You claim those are just "jokes" about killing affluent people as if there weren't very real assassination attempts on politicians like Brett Kavanaugh and Nancy Pelosi in the past year, among other examples of very real threats and violence involving class or politics.

You should look up "concern trolling," because that's not what it is. Concern trolling isn't telling people that it's wrong to spread anti-Semitic conspiracy theories designed to downplay a tragic event in a peoples' history.

You bring up people actually trying to assassinate politicians and, yes, they do. I am not the one who chose to bring up people posting pictures of guillotines as an example of a harmless joke. Please refer your entire comment to them instead. That was not my example, nor did I downplay the importance of it. (I specifically chose people joking about "eating the rich" as my counter example for a reason)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:08 am Reply with quote
Release an AI Chatbot onto twitch "she doesn't play the games another AI does"
Trolls come out in force and corrupt said AI with in mere hours
GEE WHO COULD HAVE EVER SEEN THIS COMING? HMM?!

Sarcasm aside.. the internet has proven it's self, time and time again that we'll never be ready for a learning AI "cute anime girl AVI or not."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:54 am Reply with quote
Isn't there another crappy thing that could develop from this; VTubers using AI as scapegoats or an excuse to say offensive things...
"WTF, so-and-so said the Holocaust didn't exist?"
"Sorry that wasn't me, it was my AI / I had my AI filling in."
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:38 am Reply with quote
One thing I never considered about this whole neuro sama thing is where on earth did they get the motion data from. I remember in the clip I watched the 3d avatar moves while it talks... I'm curious if they harvested/purchased the motion data from human vtubers somehow
WEL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:21 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. TBH, I wish people denying the existence of the Holocaust themselves didn't exist. No, I don't mean they should be killed or injured.

If it's not free from consequences then is not free speech....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3