• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams New Pokémon Ultimate Journeys Anime Episodes, Power Rangers 30th Anniversary S

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevangelion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I do not understand why some people here are being such pricks. IF you are calling it cringe because or nostalgia then never watch Dragonball or Sailor Moon again. It’s awesome that they even got this together i just hope that it was made before Jason David Frank passed away.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:02 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:
I hope for a Power Rangers series that doesn't obsess over Mighty Morphin. The nostalgia is embarrassing at this point.

Power Rangers has basically been dead for years, ever since toy sales for it plummeted. All they have left at this point is pandering to nostalgia.

Still, it is embarrassing to make a 30th anniversary special for a franchise and make all the marquee actors in it be from the first 3 years.

Yeah, it was so dead that Hasbro paid half a billion dollars to acquire it, so dead that they commissioned Jonathan Entwistle to be the next overlord of Power Rangers, who in turn got Jenny Klein to run whatever series follows Cosmic Fury from Entertainment One.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Yeah, it was so dead that Hasbro paid half a billion dollars to acquire it, so dead that they commissioned Jonathan Entwistle to be the next overlord of Power Rangers, who in turn got Jenny Klein to run whatever series follows Cosmic Fury from Entertainment One.

500 million is not a lot of money for an entire franchise; especially for something that used to be a tentpole franchise back in the 90s. When Disney originally bought it from Saban back in 2002 they bought it for over 5 billion. I'm not sure how much Disney sold it for back to him in 2010 but it sounded like he paid less than what he initially got from Disney so it was a good deal for him. Hasbro then buying it for 500 million in 2018 and the fact it keeps changing hands indicates the brand has depreciated in value quite a lot over the decades, which isn't surprising given things like how big a flop the 2017 movie was. That film grossed 142 million worldwide. Is a franchise being worth 2.5 flopped movies really that impressive in the grand scheme of things?

I don't know who Jonathan Entwistle or Jenny Klein are but a quick Google search says they worked on some short-lived Netflix shows. I assume Hasbro is trying to revitalize the brand and go a new direction with it by putting some Netflix people in charge. I guess they're trying to get a new reboot movie off the ground again and make a Power Rangers Cinematic Universe from what I read? Time will tell if it works out for them or not. I haven't been a fan of Hasbro's handling of other franchises lately lthough so I'm not sure I trust them to do anything amazing.
lumclaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:37 am Reply with quote
Blanket critiquing Power Rangers as a brand isn't easy. Nearly every show has a different cast and source material, with several seasons changing up the music, some dial back the comedy act.

I'm more fond of entries like Time Force. Portraying most villains as criminals more than beasts gave the writing (by the low standards of a monster-of-the-week franchise) much needed depth.

You'll love RPM if you're tired of "nostalgia bait". The setting was originally designed to be self-contained, so it features quite possibly the fewest references to past shows, if not the least amount of returning *anything*.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:06 am Reply with quote
lumclaw wrote:
Blanket critiquing Power Rangers as a brand isn't easy. Nearly every show has a different cast and source material, with several seasons changing up the music, some dial back the comedy act.

I'm more fond of entries like Time Force. Portraying most villains as criminals more than beasts gave the writing (by the low standards of a monster-of-the-week franchise) much needed depth.

You'll love RPM if you're tired of "nostalgia bait". The setting was originally designed to be self-contained, so it features quite possibly the fewest references to past shows, if not the least amount of returning *anything*.

I think it says a lot that all those are the older series and nothing made within the last decade. Seems like once Neo-Saban and Hasbro happened I haven't heard much of anything from the franchise outside the movie everyone dogged on.

But I think the biggest indicator of how culturally irrelevant Power Rangers is these days is I didn't hear a single peep out of anyone when they made an LGBT Ranger or promoted their new female Red Ranger for the new series You know it's bad when outrage baiting doesn't even work for you. I guess Scooby Doo is more culturally relevant than Power Rangers these days if Velma is anything to go off with how much attention it's getting by comparison. Maybe if it was an MMPR reboot that made those changes it would get more attention. MMPR seems to be the only show people care about anymore.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:55 am Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
lumclaw wrote:

I think it says a lot that all those are the older series and nothing made within the last decade. Seems like once Neo-Saban and Hasbro happened I haven't heard much of anything from the franchise outside the movie everyone dogged on.

But I think the biggest indicator of how culturally irrelevant Power Rangers is these days is I didn't hear a single peep out of anyone when they made an LGBT Ranger or promoted their new female Red Ranger for the new series You know it's bad when outrage baiting doesn't even work for you. I guess Scooby Doo is more culturally relevant than Power Rangers these days if Velma is anything to go off with how much attention it's getting by comparison. Maybe if it was an MMPR reboot that made those changes it would get more attention. MMPR seems to be the only show people care about anymore.

How is making an LGBT Ranger or making the Red Ranger a female "outrage baiting"? The comparison to Velma doesn't even work in this case, because Velma doesn't just change the characters' race, it drastically changes the personalities of the characters to make them as unlikeable as possible, while also abusing meta-humor to make it seem like it's clever, to the point where it feels like an insult to the franchise, so of course it's getting the most attention. It's a generic "adult" cartoon that just has the Scooby Doo brand slapped on it.... without even having Scooby Doo in it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:

Dino Fury won a GLAAD award for having a lesbian Ranger and there were tons of queer fans expressing how much they loved it and what it meant to them. You only didn't hear a "single peep" if you weren't looking outside a Twitter echo chamber to see the impact it made on queer fans.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:23 am Reply with quote
Man, a lot of yall didn't get the megazords yall wanted as kids and it shows.

Quote:
I would guess the reason Power Rangers has mostly died out is there's no real need for it anymore. There's no real need for Power Rangers in this day and age when people can watch Super Sentai and other tokusatsu straight from Japan very easily.

Well this is a lie. Though I'm not as big of a fan that I was as a kid, I still check in of the franchise from time to time even though I also started watching Super Sentai (which also isn't as highly regarded as you think it is in its own country). It's also not easy at all to watch Super Sentai (legally) outside of the Shout Factory releases.
TsukinoSpoon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Man, a lot of yall didn't get the megazords yall wanted as kids and it shows.

Quote:
I would guess the reason Power Rangers has mostly died out is there's no real need for it anymore. There's no real need for Power Rangers in this day and age when people can watch Super Sentai and other tokusatsu straight from Japan very easily.

Well this is a lie. Though I'm not as big of a fan that I was as a kid, I still check in of the franchise from time to time even though I also started watching Super Sentai (which also isn't as highly regarded as you think it is in its own country). It's also not easy at all to watch Super Sentai (legally) outside of the Shout Factory releases.

I think they mean newer generations of fans, which to an extent is true. I'm not that involved in the tokusatsu community these days, but a lot of the active fans online outside of Japan seem to be of a much younger demographic than what constituted Rider and Sentai fans even 10 years ago. A lot of them are pre-teens and teens that discover the franchise from other venues outside of PR, which wasn't really the case back then. They don't have as many issues with finding torrents or pirating sites for subtitled material. Sentai isn't as big as it once was toy-sales wise though (although the success of Donbrothers has changed that a bit), so that part is true. And it is still viewed as something toddlers watch so there is that.

All that being said, if you want to watch Sentai outside of the 90's and early 2000s you're going to have to pirate it. It's not easily accessible and Toei has made no interest in simulcasts for the show, although that's probably an entirely different discussion.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:52 am Reply with quote
Stevangelion wrote:
I do not understand why some people here are being such pricks. IF you are calling it cringe because or nostalgia then never watch Dragonball or Sailor Moon again. It’s awesome that they even got this together i just hope that it was made before Jason David Frank passed away.

It was, but JDF had already said he'd declined to be a part of it since he'd retired from playing Tommy.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:41 am Reply with quote
TsukinoSpoon wrote:
I think they mean newer generations of fans, which to an extent is true. I'm not that involved in the tokusatsu community these days, but a lot of the active fans online outside of Japan seem to be of a much younger demographic than what constituted Rider and Sentai fans even 10 years ago. A lot of them are pre-teens and teens that discover the franchise from other venues outside of PR, which wasn't really the case back then. They don't have as many issues with finding torrents or pirating sites for subtitled material. Sentai isn't as big as it once was toy-sales wise though (although the success of Donbrothers has changed that a bit), so that part is true. And it is still viewed as something toddlers watch so there is that.

My first exposure to Kamen Rider was reaction gifs and memes which caused me to check out the show after seeing some of the cool fight scenes. The first one I ever watched was W back in the day and I've been watching ever since. I was 15 at the time and am now 27. The only experience I have with the American version of the show is seeing a YouTube video talking about how bad it was and ranting about the annoying Ferbus character.

This may surprise older folks but not everyone grew up in the 90s and had the same childhood as they did. Plenty of people don't know anything about the Americanized versions of Power Rangers and Masked Riders shows of that era. And that's going to become more and more true the further removed from that decade we go. People can't expect that everyone just instantly knows and grew up with a show like they did. Someone born the same year Power Rangers first aired would be 30 right now. And I'm pretty old compared to other people out there. I find 27 to be over the hill already as I rapidly grow closer to 30. We're now at the point where Kamen Rider W is considered nostalgic and old thanks to Fuuto Pi. Meanwhile there's tons of people who's first rider series was Zero One which aired only a few years ago.

Anime fans should be pretty familiar with that. How many new fans did shows like Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan bring in? Not everyone grew up watching those old bad 80s and 90s dubs on TV either. The first anime I ever watched was Death Note.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2