• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kurau Phantom Memory in April

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
yes! i've been waiting to see this. I was wondering what happened to this title. Any idea why the release took so long?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Don't get your hopes up.
ADV's dubs seem to depend on how much they think a title's worth these days.
Look at Ghost Stories.
They play Papuwa a bit more fast & loose than they might have in the past.
Think more how Generator Gawl was practically 2 different stories at times.
Considering how long they let this sit, I'd be nervous until the last dvd was in my hot little hands
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Matt Greenfield is going to direct this dub so I doubt it's going to be a travesty (and considering his most recent dub efforts are FAR better than before).
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that Kurau: Phantom Memory is finally released. I'd heard about this title a fair amount, its premise sounds interesting, and it was one of the few licensed titles that ADV has that they didn't release yet.

CCSYueh wrote:
Don't get your hopes up.
Look at Ghost Stories.

My, my, a pessimist, aren't we?

Kurau seems to actually be a bit more substantial from what I've gained in comparison to Ghost Stories, so I seriously doubt that ADV is going to pull a parody dub here.

Also, if you have any complaints on the English dub, you will have the option to watch the Japanese dub with subtitles, yanno?
Anthony P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY. Jesus god.
I'm happy that Kurau actually is getting released (I think most of us lost hope sometime ago), but I'm still kinda pissed that they sat on this for so long, as the series deserves to be seen by more people.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
It's about time Rolling Eyes Nobody in the fandom world really knows the reasons for this delay, but from what I've heard of KPM, it seems like a serious enough series that they wouldn't do any kind of parody dub. It's really surprising that they'd let a sci-fi series sit for so long, since sci-fi tends to be a stronger selling point than drama/romance, and they pushed out other 2004 licenses like Nanaka 6/17 and Diamond Daydreams first. I guess April will tell us if it's been worth the wait, for those of us who eschewed DLing it in the interim.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote
Does no one ever read AoDVD? ^_^ I saw the news on ANN's front page, and thought that it seemed familiar, but I couldn't remember when I'd read it on AnimeonDVD. I found it in last Friday's news. ^_^;

I'm really happy to hear that ADV's actually going to do something with the show, but I don't care who directs the dub (competent people would be good, but I'm not likely to hear any of it). It's been waaaay too long since the show was first announced as licensed. I look forward to sending more of my money to ADV, since their take from my wallet had been shrinking lately...
godakame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
Hooray! KPM is one of my favorite anime series. And what great timing too, considering the fact that I was about to purchase the R2 dvds.
Nermal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:03 am Reply with quote
yay more things to add to my wish list
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
Well, as you me and this was the news I was waiting for. So now all I have to say is,

IT'S ABOUT F***ING TIME!!!!!!

Now folks will have a chance to finally see it. Maybe my letter of anger got to them. But whatever the case I can now return to be a peaceful soul with a smile on my face waiting for each release.

I guess I was right 2 year wait 2 year release. The time has finally come. Surprised
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I'm just glad that Kurau: Phantom Memory is finally released. I'd heard about this title a fair amount, its premise sounds interesting, and it was one of the few licensed titles that ADV has that they didn't release yet.

CCSYueh wrote:
Don't get your hopes up.
Look at Ghost Stories.

My, my, a pessimist, aren't we?

Kurau seems to actually be a bit more substantial from what I've gained in comparison to Ghost Stories, so I seriously doubt that ADV is going to pull a parody dub here.

Also, if you have any complaints on the English dub, you will have the option to watch the Japanese dub with subtitles, yanno?

THAT'S the problem.
I saw the first ep at Comic-con where they only play the english dub if there is no Japanese subtitled version available & found it wildly funny. Bobobo/Dr Slump insane funny which I like. And considering I've 46, I don't titter over every swear word that falls from a comic's lips. Though I do love Denis Leary's stuff & he can swear like a sailor. But at least the dots connect in his humor.
Papuwa isn't a parody dub. Maybe ADV just can't pull off Bobobo.
But I've long noticed ADV very much has A & B titles & the A titles get a far better treatment than their B titles. At least Tactics has seen the light of day thanks to Manga (And YES, I know ADV's doing the dub, but very straight-up. Had ADV kept it, I'm sure Tactics wouldn't have seen the dub it's getting.)

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with a majority of the ADV dubs I've heard. And ADV takes up a decent share(around 500) of the 2000 dvds in my anime collection, so I've heard a lot of ADV dubs. I'm just one who isn't enraptured with Ghost Stories & who fears the fall-out. (Actually Ghost Stories isn't that bad a title in Japanese, not unlike a less humorous Haunted Junction or a version of Requiem From The Darkness aimed at the younger set, although I only have Ghost Stories dvd 2. I actually plan to pick up the rest. Someday ) It just doesn't bode well that it's sat on thew shelf so long.
So Matt Greenfield's handling the dub. ADV tends to overlook things. Look at all the doom & gloom being predicted over the Sgt Frog dub on this board when it was announced ADV landed it (I'm really crossing my fingers it will be one of ADV's better efforts.)
I tend to prefer Bang Zoom dubs, though. West Coast snobbery.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, it took them long enough. To be honest I don't even care if the dub sucks, as long as they get something out there after making us wait years.
greeneva33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I don' t usually download licensed anime, but this was the exception, because it took them so effing long to put out the DVD. The irony is that I finished d/ling it the day that this news post came out. It doen't matter if the dub is complete crap, just so long as they put out the DVD's finally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1