• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Love Story With Yamada-kun at Lv999 (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:52 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Could his seatmate with glasses be the same girl as the one in his childhood flashback? For some reason, when she told him not to make Akane run, the words seemed to be carrying some extra baggage.

I would be mindblown if this is the case. But that would require some explanation: why would Yamada not be reminded of the girl from his childhood whenever he speaks to Tsubaki? Amnesia? Different identity? Something doesn't add up yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:42 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting question. Interesting enough to me that I went and looked at the scene in episode 7 that showed the bullied girl. Impossible to truly tell if she's a young Tsubaki or not but my instinct is that she's not. The girl's hair is kind of brown and Tsubaki's is dark. Also, in the credits, there is a listing for a character just called Girl in episodes 4 and 7 who, I think is that the bullied girl and it's a different voice actor from Tsubaki's. Again, even if I'm right about the credit, it doesn't mean it's not Tsubaki. But frankly, I just can't shake the awful feeling that poor girl committed suicide and Yamada feels at least partially responsible. Really hope I'm wrong.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 08: If That Happened, That Would Be...

Summary: At the festival, Akane notices Runa is unwell from stress, when a nurse diagnoses Runa as just hungry. Akane and Yamada decide to get food, but draw jealousy from every girl they pass. Eita jokes they might as well start dating, embarrassing Akane. She plays the same joke about them dating, but is shocked when Yamada responds that he initially thought about it.

Comments: This was a nice character-builder for Yamada. It's clear from his actions in previous episodes that he cares a little bit about Akane. But it's nice to see him verbally admit it. Then again, I feel it's the romantic tension that's essentially driving the show, right now. So I think it'll manage to keep stringing us along in little chunks, though hopefully not as long as a Rumiko Takahashi rom-com.

At some point, I feel like a there's a big drama train making its way to the station that's about to crash. As funny and fluffy as the show is, I can't help but think that what little melodrama there's been, it will show itself, but in proportion to the comedy, to equal things out. It'll probably be something really subtle, though.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri May 26, 2023 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:08 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
But that would require some explanation: why would Yamada not be reminded of the girl from his childhood whenever he speaks to Tsubaki? Amnesia? Different identity? Something doesn't add up yet.

Totally agree. That's kind of why I'm still groping around for answers and possibilities.

And Blood, I'm too techno-ignorant to quote two posters at once, but I'm still waiting to see if you're wrong or right. I watched this episode with one question in mind: Does the writer have low EQ and think that the stink from Yamada being cruel to all those shy young things will just disappear, or does the story behind all those flashbacks put things in a new light? In other words, am I watching a train wreck or a magic trick?

Still wondering.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:59 am Reply with quote
Me too. So much so that I've been tempted to going looking for the answer on the Intrawebs. So far, I've resisted...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:35 am Reply with quote
The real question is how they are going to write it all in such a way that it does not feel like one big convoluted ass pull. You can not have Yamada see the light due to falling in love and thus suddenly understand how social interactions and feelings work while not having understood all of that for his entire life. Or maybe they will just say that he is a new Yamada and wave away all that other nasty stuff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:52 am Reply with quote
Yup... that's why I say they've sort of written themselves into a corner, especially if the suicide hypothesis is true. But frankly even if it's not, the "power of lurv" to magically cure a pretty severe case of social stunnedness would be an ass pull.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
I see people here don't believe in the Power of Love TM.

Valid criticism though. Would be realistic if the upcoming relationship between Akane and Yamada would be a trainwreck. Because well written shows about how relationships actually work - or don't work - are pretty scarce.

But we'll only know that if we keep watching, won't we? I believe Akane so far is a well written character. Some parts likable and other parts 'ouch' or 'girlll growl up'.

I remember Bokura ga Ita, where the main couple got serious issues because the guy had a trauma from a past girlfriend. Didn't work out so well.

Edit: I see a typo in my text, but I'll keep it. Because it's funny.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
We'll just grin and bear it with that typo, A Mystery. Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:59 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
The real question is how they are going to write it all in such a way that it does not feel like one big convoluted ass pull. .

Okay, so maybe it's a train wreck, a magic act or a proctologist appointment Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Thanks to this episode, I am once again reminded that (according to anime) for the average Japanese person, catching a cold is only one or two notches below getting cancer in terms of a health crisis. Yeesh, what a wimpy people. We are starting to learn more about Akane's rival(?). Had to chuckle at Runa's panic at having to endure another new guild member and a female one at that.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:23 pm Reply with quote
9:

I don't why, but the girl talk between Akane and Momo was wayyy more hilarious than intended. Maybe it's the overall dry, deadpan tone that made the talk sounded more like a business meeting:

"A guy who's kind is surprisingly terrifying, don't you think?"
"Continue."

But more important than the talk itself is what happened even before that, in Akane's mind: "I don't know why, but I feel like I shouldn't see him in a romantic light." That's foreshadowing. Akane knew that Yamada is romantically inept but by saying that, she is hinting that it's deeper than that. Isn't it time for us to find out what that is, already? We have four more episodes left; I think it's about time.

So the crux of the episode (to me) is Tsubaki's joining the guild. The main hint we get is that she wants to get closer to Yamada. She claimed to just began playing FOS and that it's better to join one of the stronger guilds. Not buying it, of course. But why does she want to get closer to Yamada, and in fact, why is she particularly interested in Akane?

It's tempting to say that it boiled down to what I originally thought: she likes Yamada (read: love triangle). But something doesn't feel right. I don't sense any romantic vibe from her toward Yamada, and it doesn't explain why she always seem to keep Yamada at arm's length. In fact, she outright confirmed how Yamada isn't into romance for good measure. It's more lie she's genuinely curious how his personality is gradually changing.

But if this is indeed the case, then I have to wonder: is she really that kid from Yamada's past? But like I said, that wouldn't check out: why wouldn't Yamada remember who she is, then? So this makes me think something else (and hear me out): spoiler[could it be that she's related to that kid instead? A sister or close friend? Now if this is the case—her standoffish personality toward Yamada, her curiosities toward him and Akane—everything would make perfect sense.]

Omake:

BRUH HE JUST ONESHOT THAT BURGER
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 9

Thanks to this episode, I am once again reminded that (according to anime) for the average Japanese person, catching a cold is only one or two notches below getting cancer in terms of a health crisis. Yeesh, what a wimpy people. We are starting to learn more about Akane's rival(?). Had to chuckle at Runa's panic at having to endure another new guild member and a female one at that.

I know that this may sound crazy, but during one of my trips to Japan with a couple of friends, one of them caught a cold while there and it totally kicked his ass. He used to think the very same thing that you said, but found that for whatever reason, the cold that he caught there was worse than any cold he had here in the US.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:58 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
9 But more important than the talk itself is what happened even before that, in Akane's mind: "I don't know why, but I feel like I shouldn't see him in a romantic light." That's foreshadowing. Akane knew that Yamada is romantically inept but by saying that, she is hinting that it's deeper than that. Isn't it time for us to find out what that is, already? We have four more episodes left; I think it's about time.

I've been waiting impatiently too. Not too long ago Blood said something about fighting the temptation to go to online sources looking for spoilers from whatever manga or light novel inspired this anime, and I felt that that this week. I'm really, really curious, and the anime isn't scratching that itch.

I don't know about your theory, but I am starting to think that there really might be some connection between new girl and old girl. Because the lack of development in regards to those flashback seems a little strange. But what if new girl is actually the camouflaged development of those flashbacks? But as to how that would work, I'm genuinely clueless.

I'm also having a harder time believing that the suicide thing isn't a feint. When Akane woke up in Yamada's bed, it looked really bad, but the show pulled back. When el creepo stalker followed Akane into the bathroom, it looked really bad, but the show pulled back. When Runa was about to get a reckoning for endangering Akane's life, it could have gone really bad, but the show pulled back.

But I also might be searching for excuses because I like the show, and people want to make excuses for the things they like. The human mind is strange that way.

As to when or if the resolution is going to play out, I've long noticed that episode 10's in action anime (this is assuming there are 12 episodes in total) are often my least favorite. That's because episode 10 often begins the movement towards the final confrontation, which means $hi++y people doing $hi++y things with no immediate consequences and everything looking dire right before a cliffhanger ending. Episode 11 continues this trend but often ends on another cliffhanger, but at least the ending usually involves the protagonist rallying and getting ready for the final fight.

I've never really tried to mentally tally this sort of thing with romance anime - the number of them that we've seen in the last two seasons is a little unusual...is it a new trend? But I wonder if it applies?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:31 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I don't know about your theory, but I am starting to think that there really might be some connection between new girl and old girl. Because the lack of development in regards to those flashback seems a little strange. But what if new girl is actually the camouflaged development of those flashbacks? But as to how that would work, I'm genuinely clueless.

Because it's the most plausible scenario that comes to my mind. spoiler[If Yamada's memory is accurate enough albeit hazy, Tsubaki being the girl's sister makes perfect sense. Tsubaki should have a grudge against Yamada, but she doesn't 100% blame him because it's more of his inaction that allowed her sister to die, not the direct cause. To throw a spanner in the works, she might have even liked him because it's unreciprocated because HEY, he doesn't understand romance. When she blurted out how Yamada's isn't into romance, it would make you realize that there might be a double meaning to it: she could be referring to how his ineptness allowed her sister to die. And Yamada might not know that Tsubaki is the girl's sister, but Tsubaki knows about Yamada's past instead. Everything checks out... but like you said, it's just a theory. And Yamada's memory is susceptible to the Unreliable Narrator trope.]

Going on a tangent: once upon a time, the norm for a series length was 24-26 episodes. That kind of length allowed for more time for plot and character development (good thing), but it also allowed for filler episodes and drop in quality, especially mid-season (not-good thing). Then the trend moved to 11-13 episodes, and show staff can get a break and spend more time focusing on the second season, and presumably less filler episodes. But because of that, there is less cohesive development in plot and/or character, and when the second season rolls in, some people even forgot what happened in the first season and it loses steam. Times have changed, but sometimes I wish we have more two-cour series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8