• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World [and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too] (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

You know what I really appreciate about this show? The completely subtle and nuanced way it handles the wish fulfillment angle.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Although, in all seriousness, I am deeply ashamed I didn't see the "soccer ball headed for the chick's face" cliche coming. No doubt next week, Kaori will add two more Ousei Academy birds to his rapidly growing harem: one when he protects her from a barking dog and the second when she drops her eraser in class and he picks it up for her.

Edjwald: not that I want to embarrass you even further but even *I* was aware the Dumb Duo were Kaori's siblings. Not only did I pick up on it when the concept was first introduced, but I even remembered it!

*chest swells with pride*

I have to assume you were absorbed in taking a sip of coffee when that whole angle was first mentioned. Wink

Anyway, I look forward to next episode when Kaori brokers world peace (by single handedly defeating all armed services on the planet), ends world hunger and cures both cancer and teenage acne. Yes, it'll be a slow week for him, but hey, the guy can't be amazing ALL the time, right???
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Just got done watching the dub of episode 1 and for those that haven't read any of the source material or can't read Japanese, I highly recommend reading at least the beginning episodes of the free web novel.

With no translation of the popup boxes, there is information there that is needed to understand this new world. This will help explain some of the things you see in the other episodes, for example, the greenish liquid Yuuya gives the badly hurt knight or where he found the special clothes he wears just after his transformation.

BTW Edjwald, the twin brats are introduced as Yuuya's younger siblings in episode 1. Who could have imagined they had that much jealousy in them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Me. They've come off as a couple of d-bags from the very start. Not that Edjwald has noticed or anything... Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I was probably fending off the assault of a pet who wanted to know why I was spending time watching some talking square that didn't even smell like anything interesting.

Or drifting in and out of sleep.

Or arguing with my imaginary friend abou...I mean, checking on sports scores...,

Hard to say, really.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
You clearly live an action packed and rewarding life, my friend - just like me! Ain't it grand being an anime fan? Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute...you mean you're not the imaginary friend? <g>
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Well... imaginary friend might be going a bit too far. Imaginary acquaintance, perhaps? Have we even got to a first name basis yet???
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:50 am Reply with quote
You are only Yuuya approved friends once you have jumped down the 4th floor and did a flip in the air twice before landing together.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Any friend of mine wouldn't expect anything more demanding than a pinky swear Smile
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:32 pm Reply with quote
That was another episode of demigod Yuuya and him being admired by all those lowly plebeians. That said, Yuuya was a bit on the weak side this week, no jumping from buildings or anything like that, just beating up a robber and getting rid of some monsters. On a side note: Night is a good pupper, the deer used some cool magic and this episode had some really weird camera angles at times. Several times the camera focused on a face while a conversation was going on.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:19 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
That said, Yuuya was a bit on the weak side this week, no jumping from buildings or anything like that, just beating up a robber and getting rid of some monsters.

Well, having a "dog" the size of a Scottish Terrier tackling and dragging a grown man across a park against his will still ought to count for something.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

That was no dog! That, according to its status sheet, was a Fenrir. Any relation to Fenrir from the Campfire Cooking show? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I don't know what the official quarantine protocol is for animals from another world, but Yooie-pooh just blew right by them.

Which makes me realize that communicable diseases are never broached as a topic in isekai. North American Indigenous people found to their detriment the impact that diseases unknown to them until Europeans started showing up can have, but you never hear about this in isekai. Believe me, that's a deficiency I plan to address in my upcoming opus, In Another World, My Pocket Lint Made Me Over-Powered and a Chick Magnet But Didn't Stop Me from Getting Kicked Out of the Hero's Party Except it's Okay Because I was Hired by the Demon Lord Who's a Total Babe.

It was pretty funny watching Kaori almost puke with jealousy when the model chick showed up. That's right, Missy, don't be thinking that just because you used your pull with Daddy to get Yuu-yummy into that sweet academy that suddenly he's gonna be your personal little squeeze weasel. Boy's got options, yo.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 5

That was no dog! That, according to its status sheet, was a Fenrir. Any relation to Fenrir from the Campfire Cooking show? Perhaps. Perhaps not..

As long as it's not related to that demon dog papa from Handyman Saito (Shudder).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The one with a fondness for spoiler[old man corpse penis]? That one? Is that demon dog papa you are referring to? The one who spoiler[went into a shed, found an old dead wizard and ate his wang?] Just trying to be sure I'm thinking of the right demon dog papa. (Hee hee hee)
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Whew, at least Yuuya managed to save his friends without being too conspicuous this time.
I was a little worried there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8