• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otaku Elf (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Edjwald, the Cliff Clavin of ANN! Wink (Let's see if he's old enough to get that reference.)

It's a little known fact that *Cheers* is one of the most rewatched sitcoms to this day. Shows like Parks and Recreation and the Office regularly take top slots, and Seinfeld and Friends almost always land in the top 5 even though they came about in the 90's, but Cheers is probably the only 80's sitcom to regularly jostle shows like How I Met Your Mother and Modern Family out of top ten rankings.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

It's official, folks - Edjwald = old. Oh sure, he'll claim he only knows about Cheers via its life in reruns, but we all know the troof. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: The Elf Battle of All Times and Places

Summary: Yord and Elda were summoned by two different summoners, and Yord insists on settling their elven duel, Ringberry Bjorling, which ends up being a 400-year stalemate of tic-tac-toe. Elda catches an elvish cold from Yord. And while Yord's cold is worse, she craves meat skewers, suggesting elves must crave fried food when sick.

Comments: The back-and-forth bickering in this was funny. These elves are hundreds of years old, but they still act like kids trying to one-up each other and always have the last word.

At this point, I feel like the miko are just intermediaries between the elves and their hobbies and/or quirks. Koito brings the mood a little more down-to-earth, but I like how Elda is basically just a freeloader getting everything she wants, while we get to see her hilarious reactions to everything. I just hope they don't introduce more elves. Two is enough. And I think Yord is a nice boisterous counterpart to Elda's more subdued personality.

There were some pretty good backgrounds in this, hence the high amount of background caps. I also have to say the art style for the characters is also nice. They're very pronounced and colorful.

Screen Caps:

Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Laughing

It's official, folks - Edjwald = old. Oh sure, he'll claim he only knows about Cheers via its life in reruns, but we all know the troof. Wink

How *dare* you sir! I did indeed wander @$$backwards into becoming a i]Cheers[/i] fan. I got curious about the show because I liked Frasier. Which still makes me pretty durn old come to think of it. Just not as old as *some* people I could mention. People with rheumatism and bad backs shouldn't throw stones Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:56 am Reply with quote
Moi??? Old???

I will have you know, suh, that I am (very recently) 58 years young. And that's 58 in stud years, which is only 23 in human years. Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go prep for my Anti-Delusion course this evening, a subject that I seem to be failing badly...
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I had no idea that you're actually older than me! Still, at 53 (as of today, funnily enough) I still seem to be among the older of the members here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:15 pm Reply with quote
If it makes you feel even better, Beltane70, Alan45 was born in 1945 so at some point this year, he'll be 78 (if he hasn't turned that already). And he claims he's not the oldest poster here! Heck, we're a couple o' spring chickens in comparison!

By the way... the reason you had no idea that I was older than you is due to my zesty, youthful outlook and not because I'm super immature sounding, right? RIGHT??? Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but seeing people of a riper age still enjoy anime a lot makes me happy. Probably because it gives me hope that binging/enjoying it will never become boring and is not tied to age.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:09 am Reply with quote
I've been actively following anime since I was 16 years old and that's not counting the shows that I watched that aired on US television in the years before I had learned the term anime. If you count all those shows, I've been watching anime since I was 9. Unless I lose my ability to see, I'll be watching anime until the day I die.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:11 am Reply with quote
I may be older than you, Beltane70, but you are my anime senpai... by a long shot. I'd seen some anime before 2009, but I celebrate January 2009 as the beginning of my true fandom thanks to Blood+, Part 1 (still haven't finished watching Part 2....).
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I will never begrudge anyone for discovering anime late! We all have to start somewhere. I actually kind of envy new fans since they have easy access to subtitled and dubbed anime. Back when I started, I had to rely on raw, unsubtitled anime from bootleggers at sci-fi conventions for my anime fix. Although I do have to admit it was fun trying to figure out the plot based on visuals alone. It was also really cool to see the shows that were aired in the US in their unedited format.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the very first anime I ever saw was in 2003 or 2004 and that was a VHS copy of Legend of the Overfiend. Laughing It belonged to a friend of mine (no, really!). This same friend also showed me NGE and Princess Nine so that kinda made up for it... not that I don't love the Overfiend cheese.

The first anime series I ever purchased was Mezzo and that predates 2009. I bought it because I had seen Mezzo Forte and thought Mezzo the TV series would be like... that. It's not!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Ah, my weekly prescription of feel good vibes. Koito found out it wasn't too smart to give Elda a smartphone. Elda is adorable but man, what a pain in the butt. She looks good in a trenchcoat, though. Koito was the recipient of an accidental kabedon (wall slam) and loved every second of it. Dusky Predator must have slapped on the yuri goggles big time. Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:49 pm Reply with quote
At least the spirits had a small break in which they were not overworked with mostly useless messages to pass on. Koito keeps buying clothing and such to look mature and not pulling off the look at all. Finally, that monstrous creation had way too much cheese on it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: Tsukishima Girls' Collection

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5