• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Gacha Money Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:51 am Reply with quote
The only one I'm still playing right now is Azur Lane, I started day 1, I bought lots of skins and places for the dock but i never bought a cube, the gacha currency of this game, in almost 5 years outside the very few ones from Fair Winds rewards ( even without this i would still have the same result ) and still have 100% existing characters so more than 600 at this moment, I rarely stick more than 2-3 months with other gachas that capitalize on character acquisition rather than skins which will often require you to spend hundreds to get an SSR and fully strengthen it, that's just unnecessary frustration.
JR-1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:26 am Reply with quote
Not singling anyone specifically, but I've seen a bit too much "this gacha (I play) is relatively generous, unlike other gacha" among gacha game players and I feel like that misses the point.

That relative generosity IS a part of strategy. Be it to keep player retention so a few are tempted to whale given enough time, having more desirable character than the free stuff would allow you to get, having a guaranteed draw at a certain limit but the free stuff won't quite get you there if you're unlucky enough, etc. At the very least it encourages you to strategise and therefore engage with the community and create buzz around the game. The more community there are the more some people becomes more prone to whaling because a considerable part of whaling is to be able to stand above others.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:08 am Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
Gacha mobile gaming is just one of those things I don't get how so many people tolerate, let alone love. Different strokes I guess, but I just immediately think it'd be loads more fun, for example, to simply buy and enjoy a full-fledged horse-girl racing game that was along the lines of Mario Kart or something.

Perhaps it's simply I just have never cared for gambling of any variety. Even actual capsule toy machines always felt lame to me, because you never actually get the item you want.

For Japan at least in general, I heard years ago, that gacha there really took off there due to how tighty work orientated the country culture that didn't leave a lot of leisure time traditional game demanded. It was a lot cheaper and more convenient than lugging around a portable console. I'm sure there plenty more to it, but accessibly definitely seems one of the one of biggest factors.
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:39 am Reply with quote
Even being Fate-related is no guarantee that a game won't shut down though. Fate/Zero Next Encounter was a gacha game that shut down before FGO came around. It's kind of amazing that FGO is still as successful as it is.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:41 am Reply with quote
Whenever I hear Gacha I just think of Gotcha.. as in they gotcha money, lol .. In fact, that's what I originally thought people were implying when they talked about them on YouTube.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:49 am Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:

Oh, yes, apparently WFS (the developers, also made Another Eden and Heaven Burns Red) wrestled back control of it from CR after they were dissatisfied with the way CR was handling it. This is another thing that was brought up often during the Priconne closure -- that Priconne would've been successful if CR hadn't wildly mishandled it.

I find that doubtful considering WFS runs the game no differently than Crunchy roll did. They didn't even give us back the poke feature.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Danmachi Memoria Freese coming up on 6 years now.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:05 am Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
The appeal, for me at least, is that gacha games are specifically designed for very short sessions, so I can easily pull out my phone during my commute to work (1.5 hours by subway) and do my dailies and all that to keep myself occupied.

That's easy for you to say, but at the height of my LostWord brainrot, I was obsessed with keeping up with the game's stories, mostly the events. Heck, I'd attach my other mobile phone (which doesn't have cellular service) to my TV using an HDMI cable, basically treating it like a show. And I could bounce between different game modes for hours, setting a stage to "auto" if I never needed a breather or wanted to focus on something else.

Gacha games: serious business. I should watch some translated Idolm@ster event stories soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2