• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This was basically a sleepover and Girl Talk episode, huh?

Just a reminder that...yeah, Joseph was pretty awful. I guess we should just be satisfied that every minute he's alive is basically torture for him.

It's hard to put Elias and Chise's relationship in a specific kind of box, and there are various ways to refer to anything, but what it ultimately comes down to is they want to be together and being together makes them happy. And that's enough.

Does Alice see Renfred in a romantic way, like a crush, or just purely in terms of trying to serve him as his successor or bodyguard which is why she's not satisfied being his daughter?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:43 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
From many years of viewing anime, the Japanese appear to have very different relationships with their roofs. Many, many conversations happen sitting on rooftops. A rooftop is a place to escape to for privacy. Probably just for cool breezes in the summer....

It even shows up in schools (and Alice has her own conversation with Renfred on the subterranean rooftop of the magical college, with its simulated sky).

Carole King and Gerry Goffin have entered the chat. Wink See also: West Side Story.

I'm not sure if it was just me and the mood I was in or what, but I really noticed how expressive everyone's faces were in this episode, and how many tiny details, like a lock of hair falling out of place, worked to really make it all come alive. Very nice episode.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Carole King and Gerry Goffin have entered the chat. Wink See also: West Side Story.

My mind went to The Drifters... Probably showing my age.

But yeah, using the rooftops for living/recreational/private space is pretty common.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
Philomela seems like she needs some real friends rather than a mistress like Veronica who either is genuinely concerned for her best interests or is just playing with her like a toy...or both. Which is a shame because she seemed like such a sweet kid.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:11 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
My mind went to The Drifters...

Well, they recorded it first, but King and Goffin wrote it, so I decided to go with the source. Smile

Just before the cooking scene, who was the chibi butchering the deer and sucking the life out of everything? Where was that happening? What was up with the pages of the book turning? That sequence went right over my head.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The chibi with the deer was Lindel, and I think the implication was that Stroud was thinking of taking a vacation to visit him, since he was apparently his original mentor.

The book is more cryptic, but the implication seems to be it's being used to cast some sort of spell that's killing the flowers in the garden. No idea what that's about, but presumably we'll find out more later.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Poor Chise can't even go on a normal camping trip without stumbling into some dangerous supernatural beings! But hey, Scottish folklore!

Good to know Elias can rip himself in half and become a surprisingly cute Doggo.

RIP Chise's long hair, but I guess that's what it was for. Maybe she'll grow it back.

I guess the big question is what exactly attacked Lucy.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:02 pm Reply with quote
There is something that bothers me... this is a Sorcery school and everybody threats Chise and Elias guinea pigs and rare specimens, I get that but... why do they don't learn to use spirits too?

The difference is that they either use their own magic or those of spirits, but, the series hasn't addressed a reason for not learning both, we have seen both Elias and Chise doing both and in that Elias' class we saw the kids using Magic.

I suppose that the reason it's because both arts are difficult and you are better learning just 1, but the series never mentions this and shows the 2 leads doing it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
What a small world. The auction guy who basically set the entire plot up turns out to be the big brother of Chise's college roommate.

So if I'm understanding correctly Seth was basically cast out of the Webster Family because he didn't have the aptitude to be the family head and Lucy is bitter because she feels he resents her for it even though he's shown nothing but care and consideration for her here. And the rest of the family was all murdered for their spiders, which Lucy probably blames on one of the noble sorcerer families. No wonder she has such a surly and distrustful attitude all the time.

Werewolves! Sure, why not!
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
There is something that bothers me... this is a Sorcery school and everybody threats Chise and Elias guinea pigs and rare specimens, I get that but... why do they don't learn to use spirits too?

The difference is that they either use their own magic or those of spirits, but, the series hasn't addressed a reason for not learning both, we have seen both Elias and Chise doing both and in that Elias' class we saw the kids using Magic.

I suppose that the reason it's because both arts are difficult and you are better learning just 1, but the series never mentions this and shows the 2 leads doing it.

It didn't seem like a lot of the kids in the class actually had an aptitude for it or could get along with the Neighbors so that might be part of it, but supposedly Elias is teaching a class on it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

To put it in computer terms, if the laws of natures are a computer program then alchemists are hackers; they can break into that program and manipulate it but can't outright change it. Mages, OTOH, can temporarily alter the source code. Doing so for them is more intuitive, while alchemy is more systematic and technical. Magic being so structured is probably constraining to the point of anathema for chaotic entities like neighbors, which is probably why alchemist don't get along with them but mages do. (Note that this is speculation on my part, as the manga dose not elaborate on this, either.)

It doesn't seem to be just mindset and approach, though. Being inclined to be an alchemist vs. a mage in this setting seems akin to being born right-handed vs. left-handed, too.

As for the actual episode content, the first few episodes of the season spent their time setting the stage, so now we're starting to get more into the meat of the bigger storylines. One interesting point to consider here: doesn't one of the topics Elias describes as being in the missing Testament of Carnamagos (specifically, "taking in the life force and magic power of others") sound an awful lot like what happened to Lucy during the camping trip?

How messy this all gets is one of the fun things about this arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the hounds scene I knew Chise was gonna use them like that.

I thought it would be the final boss though, whoever he is.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:23 am Reply with quote
It is easy to be merciful to your enemies who are trying to kill you, if you are Superman. But even Superman has to worry about his enemies going after his loved ones and friends.

Since Chise is not Superman, she just has to accept that it is her price for being able to live. Worry for and hesitation in front of her enemies could cost her life and those she cares about.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
Just how strong is Chise? I realize the centaur guy helped her out, but the way she tossed that sheep carcass down one-handed like they didn't weigh 100 pounds each... And he didn't seem to be there then, so she must've carried them all in herself.

Grr, grr, Sleigh Beggy,
Have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir,
Three bags full.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:44 am Reply with quote
Is Lucy and Zoe the side-ship I never knew I needed in this show?

I really hope Chise and Philomela can become friends.

Hazel really called out some valid points about Chise's actions and the ripple effects that she doesn't consider. I guess that's part of why she's at the college to begin with.

Makoto Furukawa voicing another shady tanned guy? What are the chances!

An educator salivating at trouble so she'll have the chance to solve it and get credit for it is...concerning.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:30 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4