• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deadpool: Sailor Moon fan.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:36 am Reply with quote
I just read the latest issue of the Deadpool comic book (July 2023 Deadpool # 07) written by Alyssa Wong and they manage to write a nice little shout out to Sailor Moon in there. Of course the scene practically writes itself when Deadpool, perched atop a scale replica of the moon hanging from a planetarium ceiling, ponders the best entrance to make. Ultimately settling on Sailor Moon's pre fight introduction as the "pretty guardian for love and justice" completed with the proper hand and arm choreography. Clearly a fan of the series, a casual viewer would not have been able to stick the landing that well off the cuff.

Being starved for Anime such as I am, relegated to only being able to watch whatever Toonami airs,(see my previous posts) I really appreciate coming across these little nods to the genre. Especially when its a reference I get like the Sailor Moon one here. I get to be "in" on the joke with Alyssa as if they wrote it for me alone.

Anime has progressed from sub to pop culture in the west within the last 20 years allowing references like these to become more commonplace. When I was a kid in the early 80's you may have heard of someone in the next town over who had ordered some Gundam episodes on VHS. Today it is not unusual to see a football star wearing a Goku T-shirt or an Olympic sprinter striking one of Monkey D. Luffy's signature poses.

Have you spotted any cool shout outs to your favorite Anime or Manga in unlikely places? Seen someone wearing the same type of hat that a particular character also wears, or maybe a car with a cool sticker on it. Seeing a vehicle with the signature round "P!" logo on it like Haruko has on her Vespa would be a cool encounter for me.

Anime has been great at crossover nods to other series and it is nice to see that love being spread across the mainstream culture now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1