• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Franchise Gets New Light Novel Volume, Concert Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:35 pm Reply with quote
It lives!

On an animation front though, I feel like a sequel is more prudent than a remake, but I'm not sure if they'd be able to capture the magic again.
XCalliope

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:44 pm Reply with quote
@ScruffyKiwi

I only haven't seen Nagato anime spin-off, as for Disappearance movie, I think it is a matter of opinion what you've said.

@Top Gun

I mean, everything has the potential to suck; but if it is given a chance, and a good treatment, it can be something people WILL love.

@AsleepBySunset

I'm not saying everything has to receive a reboot, for instance, you can't compare Haruhi situation to Bleach.

Bleach, even when manga ended, still has a quite a big and active fanbase.

Myself, I would rather have a remake, than yet another Dragon Quest isekai with a twist, and I have nothing against those, actually.

I don't know, maybe it's just that I don't see any classic anime as some untouchable temple; like, 90s Sailor Moon is one of my favorite series ever, but I am still glad, regardless of quality, that its remake happened.

Not because of closer adaptation to source material, but simply for the fact that we got another Sailor Moon anime.
TheBeastAR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I think the biggest casualty of anime remakes can (where appropriate) be the original manga and light novels. I love reading and it's a bit annoying in this debate over which version of a show is better, the original books just sort of get left aside.

On that note, I understand why faithful remakes exist. But in several cases even when they've been done well enough, I often don't see the point. I mean it's cool to see a series get a do over especially when there is the material, but at the same time why not read the manga if it's just going to be a repeat? In my experience with anime remakes being as fair with them as possible, a lot of them lack the charm that previous iterations would have had.

But it does depend on which I encountered first and how I got into it. I have never seen or read anything of Fruits Basket but I really enjoyed the 2019 remake and I think it worked because it ran long enough that it didn't feel like it had to breeze through some stuff like Shaman King or even Brotherhood.

Equally, I have only ever seen the 2018 Gegege no Kitaro but it is an absolute tour de force of children's anime and feels creative and unique enough that it totally stands on its own.

I think with any anime adaptation, fidelity to the source material is important to me, but I also value a distinct sense of identity from said production. I guess it's one reason why I still think the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist is my favorite anime. Nostalgia is partly a reason, but I think it's more down to how Seiji Mizushima really made that show his own and how much of a unique voice it has. I didn't get that from what I saw of Sailor Moon Crystal, nor Shaman King (not that the original Shaman King was all that great either).

Just my two cents.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I literally just re-read the novels and re-watched the anime. It frustrated me that we barely got more content in the novels or anime considering how enticing the plot has become since the anime cut off. I happily welcome more novels! I just hope they're more plot-related. Hijinks are fine and I still like them, but when it's up in the air if we'll ever get a conclusion, it feels like any story produced that doesn't make a conclusion closer to reality is a potential risk to that end.

As for an anime remake, I don't think we need one. The argument for it makes some sense commercially, but we're also talking about something that still holds up today and isn't actually dramatically different quality than anything produced today. Also, I can't ever imagine remaking Disappearance. It's my favorite anime film of all time for good reason. It made me more conscious of how subtle choices in directing and sound and lighting and such truly matter. Besides, why waste time recreating something that exists when it'd be far less risky to just continue where it was left off? I only see remakes happening nowadays for shows that branched off heavily from their source material. The new series is usually branded as a more faithful recreation, even when they don't end up being so. Also, if Cardcaptor Sakura can get a sequel to its anime-original adaption, then I argue it shouldn't be necessary for this series either.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
These are youth novels that ran from 2003 to 2011, with a short story revival in 2020. Any form of plot progression is a decade in the past on top of that. A 15-year-old fan (10th grade) who became a fan due to the anime in 2006 will be 31 if that volume dops next year. The LN market also shifted and what it wants. I wonder what this does to the current demographic breakdown and the last anime was in 2015. An unfinished adaptation of an AU spin-off manga that was more or less created to get the protagonist with the Rei clone. If you want to find an IP that got diluted by spin-offs then look no further. Terra Formars is another example but I kinda like it´s main manga version.

S1 was the only part of the IP I liked and I tried rewatching it 2 years ago. I couldn´t get through it. The in itself interesting idea and production values are all the IP has to offer. A 1 cour anime was all this needed if you ask me. 6/10 there. Vol 1, 3 a bit of 5 and half of 6 got adapted in S1. S1 is still the furthest point in the plot due to that and it´s story remains in limbo since 2006. Lol. S2 and the film simply fill the gaps. There are many reasons a potential global hit got buried. This is the first.

That said, I would LOVE to know how a S3 would be received if let´s say Satelight (Nagato spin-of) released S3 a decade and a half after the last main entry in 2010. A film on top of that. Haruhi Suzumiya was already cliche-driven in the '00s but not toxicly so. At least at first. It´s tropes now look prehistoric!

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Given the apparent "surge" of decade+-belated sequels that have been happening in recent years (eg, Full Metal Panic, FLCL, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Kimi ni Todoke), I don't think it would be unreasonable to see a Haruhi Suzumiya season 3 surface in the near future. I wouldn't expect it, per se, but I don't think it's impossible.
However, I do echo skepticism about trying to remake the franchise altogether. I didn't see the show until after it's prominence had died down in the fandom; but I've consumed enough content since then to recognize how dramatic of an impact it left on the industry. Any "reboot" of Haruhi Suzumiya would automatically be entering a HARD uphill battle to even come close to the original. Even without the original series' shadow looming over, could a remake even hold its own in the modern anime market, where so many of the show's iconic elements have become seemingly commonplace? Perhaps the most striking trait left of the original show is the non-chronological broadcast order, and that foot got shot even before season 2 aired..

I admit, I kind of understand the desire to see Haruhi Suzumiya given a "modern" touch - if only because Kyoto Animation has clearly been improving their craftmanship over the years, to the point that a modern Haruhi under KyoAni's guidance would absolutely trump the original in visual quality. The question, however, is whether or not the writing, editing, and directing chops could match the upgrade - and that's not a slight against KyoAni's current staff, but reaffirmation of how distinct the original already is. a new Haruhi show would be prettier, sure - but would the show as a whole be better, enough to warrant its existence?
...And that's all assuming Kyoto Animation was even offered the job and accepted it. I'm not sure I can imagine Haruhi Suzumiya, sequel OR remake, without KyoAni at the helm.
(no comment about Nagato-chan).
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see the point of a remake. You're not really going to do what's already there any better and a significant chunk of the industry still feels like it's trying to recapture the magic of it, it feels like you could easily just dive straight into a season 3 and instantly have people onboard.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The manga ended in 2013 and adapted all existing LNs then, so 11. Vol 10-20 of the manga are basically S3 and 4. At least it´s storyboards if a work-for-hire studio was in charge.

S2 is already too close to a "remake" and readapting sections that Kyoto Animation elevated above it´s source material is only asking to be stoned by the internet. I´ll eat a shoe if a producer is dumb enough to fund that. A career-ending move and demanding 2 cours on top of that before new content is reached! A 1-course S3 to test the waters with a new studio, like Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory (Gonzo and then Kyoto worked on it), might happen but is still a slight risk. FMP S3 flopped, tons of re-adaptations did actually, but FMP´s anime were all minor hits with no legacy. Suzumiya´s legacy is diluted but still exists. At least in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:57 pm Reply with quote
XCalliope wrote:
If you honestly can't notice the evolution of animation, direction, and even sensibilities in how characters on average behave in today's era of anime compared to mid 2000s, than I don't really know what to say to you.

Like, you "Remake is unnecessary." people see remakes simply from the point of view of it replacing the original, while I look at them (remakes) as new versions that can stand side by side with what we already have

I know these opinions aren't literally contradictory, but they strike me as such.

I'm definitely not opposed to new versions of a story existing; that's great, as long as they do something different. But this idea you keep repeating, that today's anime is "more evolved", or that anime from Haruhi's era wasn't as mature and is now "aged", is absolutely the kind of attitude that suggests that old things being replaced by new things is an objective improvement, rather than a different take.

If someone with a creative vision wanted to reimagine Haruhi today, that could be really cool, but that isn't what you've been suggesting this whole time; you've just been saying they should adapt it with "modern" animation/direction/etc. which could be anything because again, people make anime. And the main reason anime is different now is due to economic reasons, not because anime scientists discovered new animation techniques in the lab.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:42 am Reply with quote
So the new book will have three isekai short stories. Haruhi gets to cross "sliders" off her list?
XCalliope

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:07 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
But this idea you keep repeating, that today's anime is "more evolved", or that anime from Haruhi's era wasn't as mature and is now "aged", is absolutely the kind of attitude that suggests that old things being replaced by new things is an objective improvement, rather than a different take.

If someone with a creative vision wanted to reimagine Haruhi today, that could be really cool, but that isn't what you've been suggesting this whole time; you've just been saying they should adapt it with "modern" animation/direction/etc. which could be anything because again, people make anime. And the main reason anime is different now is due to economic reasons, not because anime scientists discovered new animation techniques in the lab.

But that is simply the fact, anime DID evolve since mid 2000s; yeah, people make anime, but in the meantime those same people had years to improve and refine their animating tehniques, drawing, writing, and direction.

There is a reason why memes like Draw This Again exist.

People DO get better at what they do with work and practice.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:39 am Reply with quote
Haruhi is absolutely one that doesn't need a remake. Continuation with a S3 sure, but NOT a remake

Top Gun wrote:
It still astounds me that we haven't seen any more animated in all of these years, unless you count the Nagato Yuki spinoff.
Thats not a spin off, its connected to the Haruhi series. They're both part of the same canon and spoiler[connected timelines]

residentgrigo wrote:
That said, I would LOVE to know how a S3 would be received if let´s say Satelight (Nagato spin-of)
@ the bolded: See my response to Top Gun

XCalliope wrote:
@ScruffyKiwi

I only haven't seen Nagato anime spin-off, as for Disappearance movie, I think it is a matter of opinion what you've said.

@Top Gun

I mean, everything has the potential to suck; but if it is given a chance, and a good treatment, it can be something people WILL love.

@AsleepBySunset

I'm not saying everything has to receive a reboot, for instance, you can't compare Haruhi situation to Bleach.

Bleach, even when manga ended, still has a quite a big and active fanbase.

@ the bolded: See my response to Top Gun. As for the rest... look I don't dislike remakes when its needed and or when a series already got a proper ending in anime form and or if the OG anime did its own thing like Sailor Moon's OG anime did so that Crystal being more faithful (Albeit not 100% faithful) was nice. FMAB Also is another good example of a remake done right becus the OG had its ending iirc. BUUUUUUUT, when a anime has "ended" without an actual end, like say, Spice & Wolf and then goes on to announce its not continuing after a decade or more of fans WAITING and DYING I'll ADD for them to continue it, well, not only are u WASTING resources (such as money, life, time etc.) but u'r making fans also haveta wait for them to MAYBE if u'r lucky, adapt more new content. And thats the thing, most reboots I don't think even reach much of if any of the source material's content that had yet to be animated... So for series like Haruhi, which has not gotten its proper end in anime form, while u might like to see a reboot, it should not happen b4 they continue and finish the anime from where it left off to the end of the books. U also hand't thought about how remakes/reboots uusally take years to be made, each year slight or more than slightly new animation, tech, audio, acting etc, etc, including art is made, sure its usually close enough to the OG reboot/remake, but ur argument isn't holding up when u consider what i just said. Further more, which is more selfish, asking fans to continue waiting and dying without ever getting to see the content animated from the books (Not everyone reads books fyi so can't even continue the story) or having to wait even longer on top of the long wait already (and risk not getting to see it) or the ones u claim were being selfish and "gate keeping" (As if fans have much say in what gets a reboot and what doesn't)? Imo, ur belief is the selfish one, not the other way around. Can we all just agree that remakes are good when its needed? I think we can, but the moment u try to get into what constitutes a need for a remake is when everyone is gonna have their own idea on whcih is needed and which isn't.

Also, Bleach has a fan base but u make it sound like Haruhi doesn't when it still does.
XCalliope

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:16 am Reply with quote
@Villain-chan

I swear, my biggest problem isn't even the whole sequel vs remake / reboot thing...
I do prefer the latter, but my life won't end even if it is a continuation.

Rather, it is simply you people on forums using words such as "needed", or "unnecessary", or "still hold up", etc...

Like we are talking about oxygen, water, love, food; no anime is ever THAT important, no matter how much of a masterpiece, or classic, or iconic it is.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:48 am Reply with quote
XCalliope wrote:
@Villain-chan

I swear, my biggest problem isn't even the whole sequel vs remake / reboot thing...
I do prefer the latter, but my life won't end even if it is a continuation.

Rather, it is simply you people on forums using words such as "needed", or "unnecessary", or "still hold up", etc...

Like we are talking about oxygen, water, love, food; no anime is ever THAT important, no matter how much of a masterpiece, or classic, or iconic it is.
And why are you hung up on those specifics words? As for the bolded, I see we're quoting things needed to survive in this world, fair enough, but fun is also just as important as love is becus without fun, u can love all u want but it'd be a boring and not fulfilling life to live. For some fun is anime which comes back to necessary to enjoy life and thus survive. Whether that just be becus its all they care to pass the time with or becus of a job that prevents them from doing much else or becus of whatever other reason, anime is there to bring light to people's life and world. So lets not pretend like anime isn't just as important as anything else in life. On the other hand if u still claim its not then I haveta wonder why u'r getting bent outta shape over what people say about anime
XCalliope

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:30 am Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
And why are you hung up on those specifics words?
I will just answer to this question, and that will be it, I already spent more than enough time in this topic as it is.

I hate those words, at least in context when we are talking about remakes, because they are "standing in the way" of what could possibly be a great new adaptation / its own take, even if it doesn't follow the source material so close.

I hate those words because I am the type of person who doesn't think that Cowboy Bebop live action remake, or Disney classics live action woke remakes are such catastrophes on the level of Earth being bombarded by the rain of gigantic meteors.

From my point of view, even if something ends up, well, sucking, rather than a mistake, I see it as something other / future anime can learn from, trial and error sort of thing.

And honestly, in most cases, after some time has passed, I would find people who actually ended up liking those "unnecessary" remakes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4