• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Move Over Edward — 'Frieren' Takes The Top Spot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
Frieren adapts from an inferior manga than FMAB but that anime rushed 7 volumes and its adaptation of Vol 15 and the finale too have issues. Not all short stories made it in either. Both are good shows and I gave FMAB one more point but one anime is objectively better adapted than the other. To compare a bit:
28 eps of Frieren adapt 60 chapters and it ends halfway through Vol 7. Ep 13 of FMAB stops with chapter 29, the final entry of Vol 7. That show´s pilot is anime original on top and non-canon. It´s also the show´s worst episode unless the clipshows ep counts. The definitive FMA adaption still has to be made if you ask me, especially if I consider how good some of the additions in the 2003 show were.

The strengths ultimately overpower the glaring issues but I can´t say that I would put FMAB on a Top 10 TV anime of all time list though. More like Top 25. Frieren might edge in a Top 50.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:19 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
MAL implemented measures a few years ago to combat mass vote trolling like that, due to a situation where people trolled Chihayafuru Season 3 pretty heavily.

Wait, what happened with MAL and Chihayafuru season 3?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Anime fans have come to prize the #1 spot on MAL so much that it's become a perfect example of Goodhart's law.

It was mentioned on Trash Taste a while back that this is one advantage the ANN rankings' much smaller profile has. (243 vs. 207,790 ratings for Frieren, 6,122 vs. 2,104,775 ratings for FMA:B, 4,881 vs. 1,389,980 ratings for Steins;Gate, etc.) Fewer data points make it maybe not as great a sample of fandom, but there's less incentive to game the system.

There's a lot of divergence between the two rankings -- only 18 titles are on the top 50 for both sites. I get the sense ANN's ratings tend to come from older fans; MAL's top 50 has much more presence from big shonen and shonen-adjacent series (Attack on Titan, Gintama, Kingdom, Vinland Saga; a few entries from Bleach, Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, One Piece), and a greater recency bias, with more 2020s titles like Kaguya-sama, BokuYaba, and Bocchi. ANN's list is more weighted to movies -- several more Ghibli movies, two Hosoda movies, and a few more that don't break top 50 on MAL -- and it includes a lot of 2000s series that MAL's doesn't, like Death Note, Baccano!, Kanon, Nodame Cantabile, Gurren Lagann, Cross Game, and FMA 2003. (Also, for some reason, three different Maria Watches Over Us titles.) Cowboy Bebop is #9 on ANN, but only #46 on MAL; Hunter x Hunter 2011 is #42 on ANN and #7 on MAL; Spirited Away is #7 on ANN and #41 on MAL.

MAL voters also seem to be more generous with scores in general. Some data points for how the #N title on each site scores:

Code:
     ANN  MAL
   1 9.14 9.18
  10 8.86 9.02
  50 8.54 8.72
 100 8.39 8.56
 200 8.22 8.37
 500 7.89 8.09
1000 7.63 7.78
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah echoing others here - I'm pretty certain this has already happened a few times with several anime. People already mentioned some of them like Kaguya-sama, but I also remember the final season of Fruits Basket was there for a bit.
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
MAL implemented measures a few years ago to combat mass vote trolling like that, due to a situation where people trolled Chihayafuru Season 3 pretty heavily.

Wait, what happened with MAL and Chihayafuru season 3?

Started to rise to the top and the FMABots didn't like that so they made thousands of fake accounts to try and drop Chihayafurus score and rise FMAB. I even recall some youtubers telling people to vote the shows 1/10 as a meme.

It had happened a few times before with other shows but never on that big of a scale.

e: Here's a discussion on it: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1811115

For reference: on Anilist it's ranked at #3 with FMAB at #5. Gintama the Final and Gintama° take the top 2 spots respectively.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Thematically speaking, there's no other fantasy anime series like it, and I'm hard-pressed to think of another anime series of any type which does as good a job at using current events to reflect on a past journey and relationships (which is, arguably, the story's defining element). Also packs a stellar musical score (from the guy who did the music for Violet Evergarden) and EDs and top-end magical battles on the infrequent occasions when it focuses on them.

Yeah, I'd say it's at least as good as the FMA series and probably more impactful.

Huh. Maybe I'll check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I get the sense ANN's ratings tend to come from older fans

It's not just ratings; it's forum posts and (likely) site traffic, too. I've had the sense for at least the last 15 years that ANN probably has the oldest average age for its readership among all the major anime news/review/commentary sites, and by a fair margin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
funkfoot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I wonder if this is why a third of my MAL ratings just randomly disappeared one day randomly.

I don't put much stock in internet ratings to begin with, but if a site's going to 'police' them then it makes them even more worthless since who's to say they're not going to fudge the numbers for personal reasons.

"No, sorry, you didn't actually like that show"
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:40 pm Reply with quote
You would trust their ratings more if they made absolutely no attempt at detecting bots or large waves of votes from people riding an internet meme rather than actually watching the show and thinking about how to rate it?
funkfoot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
You would trust their ratings more if they made absolutely no attempt at detecting bots or large waves of votes from people riding an internet meme rather than actually watching the show and thinking about how to rate it?

I'd love to know how they reliably prove people don't actually like or dislike a show but are just "memeing" whatever that actually entails in this instance. A bunch of new accounts that just have 1 vote for the same show is one thing, but trying to detect "internet memes" seems like an excuse to drag down shows you don't like being popular or pushing up shows people hate because they disagree.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree there are dangers in the other direction, too, yeah. It's probably quite hard to develop an approach with low false positives and false negatives. It also seems hard to justify doing nothing. A curse of their own popularity as a rating system, I guess; Goodhart's Law, like Shay Guy said above, although maybe that's exaggerating a little bit.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:29 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I wonder if this is why a third of my MAL ratings just randomly disappeared one day randomly.

I don't put much stock in internet ratings to begin with, but if a site's going to 'police' them then it makes them even more worthless since who's to say they're not going to fudge the numbers for personal reasons.

"No, sorry, you didn't actually like that show"

Every ranking for anything, not just anime, does this on some level. Your MAL ratings disappearing, while strange, is likely not related, as their system wouldn't do that, it would simply not factor your score into their average.
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:42 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:

I'd love to know how they reliably prove people don't actually like or dislike a show but are just "memeing" whatever that actually entails in this instance. A bunch of new accounts that just have 1 vote for the same show is one thing, but trying to detect "internet memes" seems like an excuse to drag down shows you don't like being popular or pushing up shows people hate because they disagree.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1824703 and https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1921033
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
ANN's list is more weighted to movies -- several more Ghibli movies, two Hosoda movies, and a few more that don't break top 50 on MAL -- and it includes a lot of 2000s series that MAL's doesn't, like Death Note, Baccano!, Kanon, Nodame Cantabile, Gurren Lagann, Cross Game, and FMA 2003. (Also, for some reason, three different Maria Watches Over Us titles.)

Speaking as someone whose favorite anime is Maria Watches Over Us, the different seasons vary just enough to sometimes feel like completely different shows.[/b]
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Frieren is truly excellent. I like it better than FMA Brotherhood which is also excellent, although I think that Frieren's last 6-7 episodes are pretty below the standard of the first 20, as it became more like a typical shounen competition show with its "exam" thingie.

But, I do think several anime titles achieve a higher standard than both Frieren and FMA Brotherhood (see my https://anilist.co/user/JoseCruz/animelist). I just re-watched Madoka Magica yesterday and that is indeed a true masterpiece, horror magical girl perfection in a diamond of just 12 episodes. Yet, its rating on MAL is just 8.36. Haibane Renmei is another masterpiece, its rated only 7.97.

Usually the best anime are rated over 7.5 on MAL, but most of those shows rated very highly are rather average IMO. That is, the best anime are rather highly but together with lots of not so great stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5