• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Move Over Edward — 'Frieren' Takes The Top Spot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone, just posting a little update on this article. An incomplete draft of the article (missing some major bits of information) was accidently published earlier today instead of the final version. When we discovered this, we pulled the article and now the correct version is online. Sorry for the mix-up!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey, anyone remember the time Interspecies Reviewers was voted to the #2 position and MAL changed the entire inner methodology of how they score things in response to the obvious trolling?
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Hey, anyone remember the time Interspecies Reviewers was voted to the #2 position and MAL changed the entire inner methodology of how they score things in response to the obvious trolling?

Rare MAL W.
light turner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

And by "obvious trolling" you mean a popular YouTuber praising the show and asking people to give it a good score. I wonder what the difference between positive word of mouth and obvious trolling is. I also wonder if the specific YouTuber or specific show involved was any indicator in this judgement that new people finding a show is considered genuine or not. I remember Ishuzoku Reviewers being controversial at the time to the point the American licensor dropped it so perhaps they felt surely no one would genuinely like the show and it was all a troll, perhaps.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:28 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Frieren is truly excellent. I like it better than FMA Brotherhood which is also excellent, although I think that Frieren's last 6-7 episodes are pretty below the standard of the first 20, as it became more like a typical shounen competition show with its "exam" thingie.

But, I do think several anime titles achieve a higher standard than both Frieren and FMA Brotherhood (see my https://anilist.co/user/JoseCruz/animelist). I just re-watched Madoka Magica yesterday and that is indeed a true masterpiece, horror magical girl perfection in a diamond of just 12 episodes. Yet, its rating on MAL is just 8.36. Haibane Renmei is another masterpiece, its rated only 7.97.

Usually the best anime are rated over 7.5 on MAL, but most of those shows rated very highly are rather average IMO. That is, the best anime are rather highly but together with lots of not so great stuff.

My biggest issue with MAL’s rating system is how it absolutely doesn’t account for recency bias. Any person new to anime who tried to use their database based on their rankings would miss out massively.
Any shounen of the month with decent animation gets catapulted to the top 50 nowadays. Great original stories from just 10,15 years ago get buried in there. Don’t get me started on anything older than that.
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:01 am Reply with quote
It will go down eventually, like all the others before it. Nobody beats FMAB. As much as I love Frieren (9/10), and no matter how many flaws FMAB has, just the story and idea of it can not be beat. It's not even my most favorite anime (that spot belongs to Houseki no Kuni) but objectively speaking it's the best.
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:18 am Reply with quote
Did Frieren S1 end? Haven't finished it since the pace went through the floor during the exams.
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:19 am Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

And by "obvious trolling" you mean a popular YouTuber praising the show and asking people to give it a good score. I wonder what the difference between positive word of mouth and obvious trolling is. I also wonder if the specific YouTuber or specific show involved was any indicator in this judgement that new people finding a show is considered genuine or not. I remember Ishuzoku Reviewers being controversial at the time to the point the American licensor dropped it so perhaps they felt surely no one would genuinely like the show and it was all a troll, perhaps.

Obvious trolling is when you tell thousands of people to rate a show 10/10 so it can be in the top 10. Regardless if they watched it or not.

Positive word of mouth is telling the same people to watch the show because you really believe it is good and that more people should watch it. Those people will then form their own opinions and decide how to rate it.

Last edited by Glordit on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
uhuurt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:43 am Reply with quote
Sasuke149 wrote:
It will go down eventually, like all the others before it. Nobody beats FMAB. As much as I love Frieren (9/10), and no matter how many flaws FMAB has, just the story and idea of it can not be beat. It's not even my most favorite anime (that spot belongs to Houseki no Kuni) but objectively speaking it's the best.

This is something I've heard many times and I still don't get it in the slightest. What's "objectively the best" about FMAB and why do so many people say that? To me it's an above average shounen that tackles interesting themes but doesn't explore them to the fullest and falls into many clichés of the genre. I'm genuinely curious about what causes this level of worshipping because I don't see it anywhere else.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:13 am Reply with quote
And here I'm still waiting for Eromanga Sensei, Astarotte's Toy or UzaMaid to take top spots Laughing
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:14 am Reply with quote
Sasuke149 wrote:

Nothing can top Eromanga Sensei for me Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:56 am Reply with quote
In terms of anime with well-written female leads, "Frieren" is definitely one of them (to me).
<('_')^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:58 am Reply with quote
Nothing against Frieren, currently halfway through the show, but I don't see how anyone could say it is the greatest anime or whatever. It doesn't have the deepest story, it doesn't have the most interesting characters, antagonists like demons all lack depth, there have been no real stakes or tension from what I've seen cause the main characters are OP, the world building is nice but mostly standard Tolkien-JRPG stuff (other anime like Delicious in Dungeon are more creative with it), and overall there's just nothing mind-blowing about Frieren. It's a nice show that covers the existential crisis and some philosophy but thats about thats about it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
Frieren is truly excellent. I like it better than FMA Brotherhood which is also excellent, although I think that Frieren's last 6-7 episodes are pretty below the standard of the first 20, as it became more like a typical shounen competition show with its "exam" thingie.

But, I do think several anime titles achieve a higher standard than both Frieren and FMA Brotherhood (see my https://anilist.co/user/JoseCruz/animelist). I just re-watched Madoka Magica yesterday and that is indeed a true masterpiece, horror magical girl perfection in a diamond of just 12 episodes. Yet, its rating on MAL is just 8.36. Haibane Renmei is another masterpiece, its rated only 7.97.

Usually the best anime are rated over 7.5 on MAL, but most of those shows rated very highly are rather average IMO. That is, the best anime are rather highly but together with lots of not so great stuff.

My biggest issue with MAL’s rating system is how it absolutely doesn’t account for recency bias. Any person new to anime who tried to use their database based on their rankings would miss out massively.
Any shounen of the month with decent animation gets catapulted to the top 50 nowadays. Great original stories from just 10,15 years ago get buried in there. Don’t get me started on anything older than that.

That is a fair criticism, and goes a bit in hand with the problem I have for this particular instance, which is that Frieren isn't finished. It's a fantastic series, and quite possibly could stay that way throughout, but we can't know that yet. It seems a bit of an incomplete comparison at this point.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Frieren is on my watch list (I do love fantasy) and I suspect I will love it, but as much as I like FMA (I stopped watching Brotherhood after the rushed start, but I have read the whole manga twice), I'm not quite sure what puts it so absurdly high on MAL. It feels like shenanigans, less because it's not what I would consider a masterpiece, and more because most people I know who tried to watch it dropped it in time. This was while it was airing, but I have only heard barely enough praise that it might be equal or slightly better than FMA's first iteration. Did I miss a whole swathe of the fandom at some point?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5