• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Move Over Edward — 'Frieren' Takes The Top Spot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AfroWarrior27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:34 am Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:
But this isn't about FMA, it's about Brotherhood, the awkwardly-paced, badly directed redo that had nothing going for it except "it follows the manga!!!" which is important for some reason.

I pretty sure Brotherhood actually having a tight plot and lacking terribly bad stuff stuff like terminator archer, the real world nonsense, and poorly done angst for the sake of angst already puts it way above 2003.

Honestly 2003 becomes such a mess near the end of it's run.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
There might not be enough manga chapters released to make another 26 episodes of Frieren and apparently today it's not like back in 2003 when they adapted FMA and invented an ending because the manga wasnt finished yet. Today, it appears that anime studios follow the manga source material more closely than a couple decades ago.

The anime finishes at chapter 60. The most recent manga chapter was 127. More than enough even without waiting for the author!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:07 am Reply with quote
I would describe Frieren as "irritating". I find it to be a lot like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou but instead of the time slipping happening at the end of the series as that immortal character loses all the people connecting her to now, it happens right away in Frieren. That's wrong and the series knows it so it's also insisting on flashing back to those meaningful ten years while also skipping ahead ten years after already skipping 50 years and then again 4 years...

The show is so deliberately paced I can feel myself dying as I watch it which I only started because of this article's title. It has potential but it's too easy to point at YKK and ask "where are the constants?"

Ah, Lost, that's other shoe dropping. I started thinking Lost once the flashbacks started.
Ittaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The rating is just recency bias in action. Give it a few years before we know the real ranking orders.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I would describe Frieren as "irritating". I find it to be a lot like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou but instead of the time slipping happening at the end of the series as that immortal character loses all the people connecting her to now, it happens right away in Frieren. That's wrong and the series knows it so it's also insisting on flashing back to those meaningful ten years while also skipping ahead ten years after already skipping 50 years and then again 4 years...

The show is so deliberately paced I can feel myself dying as I watch it which I only started because of this article's title. It has potential but it's too easy to point at YKK and ask "where are the constants?"

Ah, Lost, that's other shoe dropping. I started thinking Lost once the flashbacks started.

Well this is certainly one of the oddest takes I've read about the series. Tell me, just what is "wrong" about Frieren losing her personal connections at the start? A core theme of the series is not knowing what you have until it's gone, but then using that knowledge to inform your current relationships. Frieren's interactions with Fern and Stark are only possible because she realizes the mistakes she made with Himmel and her other companions, and the only way that works is by setting the series after those mistakes have already occurred. For my money the series does a masterful job of seamlessly interweaving flashback scenes as both complements and counter-points to current events. It's an extremely rare work that tackles these sorts of questions with such skill. What would it be like to live as an immortal? How would you perceive the passage of time? Would you even bother forming close bonds with mortals? Should you? As someone who was raised on Tolkien, watching Frieren has been nothing short of a revelation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5