• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World Cup champions.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kami-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
This World Cup victory story seems like a perfect anime-manga storyline for Japan. I'm wondering if you've gotten any vibes from production studios about putting this story into print. Granted, sports don't do well in amine or manga. But this plot seems ready-made. I know it's way too corny for Hollywood. But I think the Japanese audience would be more than willing to devour this one.
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
Might not make it in anime or manga but I can see a Japanese movie made about the 2011 World Cup champions.

I was cheering for the USA, but I really admired the Japanese (and their coach) for how they were able to persevere. When watching the group huddles before penalty kicks, I had a lot of admiration for their coach, who was keeping things loose and cheerful rather than tense and nervous. You could tell the difference between the teams in their group huddles. Japan seemed loose and happy while the USA (outside of Abby Wambach) were tense and nervous.

I also loved the sportsmanship both sides showed toward each other. I've watch both men's and women's WC games before and I don't think I've ever seen such great sportsmanship in a game (especially of that caliber). Another one of my favorite moments of the game was afterward when Abby Wambach went over and congratulated every single player on the Japanese squad. Really classy to see because this was perhaps Wambach's last chance to win a WC championship and she went out with class and dignity.

I really hope if they do make a movie/anime/manga, they really show that well because the emotions of both sides were incredible to see.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but... which sport? Baseball? Football? Basketball? To USA citizens it's probably obvious, but my country, the Netherlands, is crazy for soccer. And I mean CRAZY. We wear weird orange outfits and get hysterical. We're not the only ones loving soccer (most of Europe, South America, etc etc).

I personally like sports anime, as long as the plot is good, like in Cross Game. I would definitely try an anime like you two described.

If it would be about soccer... it could as well be a comedy. I find it hilarious to see how the players act like they're wounded terribly by the opponent, but then, a few seconds later, stand up and play like nothing happened. (Oh yeah, and hysterical Dutch fans would make it even weirder)
damien007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote
They're talking about the womens world cup in soccer. Not to be sexist but it is kind of misleading to put world cup champion in the header when it's only refferring to the womens world cup. Not that i think womens sport are any less serious and competitive then mens of course xD
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
but my country, the Netherlands, is crazy for soccer. And I mean CRAZY.

Then how could you not recognize what the thread starter was talking about? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote
... but the World Cup Soccer was in 2010! Toucanbird deceived me!
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
... but the World Cup Soccer was in 2010! Toucanbird deceived me!

The Men's World Cup was in 2010; the Women's World Cup just wrapped last week.

kami-kun wrote:
Granted, sports don't do well in amine or manga.

Not true. Sports anime usually do pretty well. Several popular and iconic anime are part of the sports genre. Last year's Inazuma Eleven did alright and was about Soccer. Captain Tsubasa is another incredibly popular soccer franchise with several anime and manga adaptations. Series like Major have been running for years. Ashita no Joe is considered quintessential to both the sports anime genre and nostalgic anime programming.

Now, sports anime, when brought to the US, typically have not sold well which I have found to be related to being shunned by fans simply because of the genre.

Will a victory in the Women's World Cup result in an anime series specifically made about the event? I don't necessarily think so, but I think it will result in companies taking a risk in developing a property about a girls soccer team at the very least. What would be more telling is if the Women's team is able to increase interest in girls playing soccer.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
damien007 although unintentionally, I think you are being a weeeeeee bit sexist. It's a world title for an international game, so it's not a misleading header. It's more valid to argue over the "World" status we give to the winners of the NFL and MLB. Neither of them play against international teams in official games so how can we claim "world" status?

kami-kun: I think your confusing Sports Anime and Manga with Sports Movies in the US. Sports movies in the US do poorly. Sports Anime and Manga in Japan do very well as long as your not comparing them to Shonen titles. Cause honestly everything loses to Shonen titles then... even other Shonen titles... Japan has always been accepting of Sports fiction and down the line or directly because of this win, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Girl's Soccer manga. But at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if there won't be a manga about a girl's soccer team. Most sports stories center around High School studentsand younger and seldom touch upon adult characters outside of when said high schoolers grow up.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
I find it hilarious to see how the players act like they're wounded terribly by the opponent, but then, a few seconds later, stand up and play like nothing happened. (Oh yeah, and hysterical Dutch fans would make it even weirder)

You need to watch NBA (i.e. American pro) and college basketball sometime, then. Happens all the time there, too.

As for "hysterical fans," just do a search sometime for "crazy NFL (American) football fans." The more outlandish ones can probably match anything that the Dutch fans come up with - see an example here for some of my hometown fans. And that's not even really an extreme example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Key, flopping is nowhere near the same as pretending you broke your leg, rolling around in pain and then continuing to play. Or taking someone else's hand and hitting yourself with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Key, flopping is nowhere near the same as pretending you broke your leg, rolling around in pain and then continuing to play. Or taking someone else's hand and hitting yourself with it.

Hey, that's how they flop in soccer (football). It's a big field and you gotta get the refs attention. Plus it does hurt alot when it's real. Even when no serious injuries occur. Your body isn't as tense and ready for impact well you play like in American football. You always have to focus on the ball and be ready to move with it so your often loose and ready to run rather then bracing yourself. So when you take a hit, your often not ready for it so it'll hurt like hell for a minute or so.

Oh and that video, I don't think it's so much that he meant to hit himself as it was that the black guy didn't resist as the other guy was pulling on him. Funny still.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
While I doubt they'd make a show about the Women's World Cup specifically it does bring up the question of whether or not an anime about women's soccer/football has ever been made. There have been more than one about women in baseball, but I don't think a single one about soccer... didn't MIke O'toole cover Soccer for a column?

....yep
animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/dribbling-eastward/2010-06-20

No girl soccer shows mentioned. The concept is ripe for the picking and timely, I wouldn't be aghast if something is developed in a year or two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Female sports shows have actually been pretty popular in the past 2-3 years.

I'm not sure, but what started it I think was Saki, an all-girl mahjong anime. Then after that there was Taisho Yakyuu Musume, about a group of girls forming a baseball team in 1920s Japan. And then this year there has been Softeni, a fanservice-rich show about an all-girl Soft Tennis club. Finally this season is Ro-Kyu-Bu about an elementary school's girl basketball club.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see an all-girl soccer anime, though I doubt it would be about the recent World Cup victory. It'll probably be in the same vein as those mentioned above, mixing slice-of-life/cute-girls-doing-cute-thing with soccer/football.
kami-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
Granted, I haven't watched alot of sports-related anime, but when it's done well it can be a worthwhile show. I found Touch to be amazing despite the fact that it was more of a character-based show than a story about baseball. What I realized about Sunday's Japanese victory is that this was an event that transcended mere sport. This was more than just a soccer game. For these women who have to return home to news stories about what's safe to eat and what isn't, returning home to rolling blackouts and the aftershocks that continue to this day, what they have done is nothing less that restore hope to a nation stiil wounded and scared. Yes soccer is just a game, but this was a big game. I as an American will admit to being completely heartbroken at the outcome, but the bigger picture definately is not lost on me. This game definately mattered to me, but I know this game mattered to the people of Japan even more so. There's a marketable story in this. It should be told, and I hope that it's told well.[/i]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As for "hysterical fans,"...

Nice pic! It can at least match us in craziness (but numbers?). They look scarier. I recommend googling '(crazy) Dutch
fans ' or just 'Dutch orange'. But it's probably universal - sport fanatics like to dress up Wink.

I wouldn't mind mixing women's sports with slice of life, but IMO, no 'cute-girls-doing-cute-thing' please. I don't mind if there are some pretty women involved (keep the men happy).
(I'm surprised nobody mentioned the obligatory sports festival episodes yet, but it's not like that needs to be discussed)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2