• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Which Anime Character Do You Wish You Could Be Friends With?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:40 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Yang Wenli or Reinhard Von Lohengramme.

I'd rather choose Yang. Being Reinhard's friend is dangerous.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote
johnmora wrote:
If Goku was your friend, your odds of dying would shoot through the roof.

Indeed, but it isn't as bad as having Mai Tokiha or one of the other Himes as your best friend.

I wonder who that 0.1% person was who voted for Yotsuya from Maison? I can't believe he tied with Kira Yamato. I'm also surprised that Kenshirou only got 1.8%.

I would also choose Yang over Reinhard. I can picture playing a game of shogi over a pot of tea (no mud water) with the guy. Reinhard is way too intense for me.
Madame Bunni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
I agree with a lot of other people. There's only one reason why anyone would want Rei as a "friend".

I'd choose Duo Maxwell from Gundam Wing. He's pretty much the only comic relief the show had. And we could use the same hair products.

Or Ami Mizuno (Mercury) from Sailor Moon, so she can do my homework. Anime hyper;;;

I couldn't be friends with Goku. We'd fight over food.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
I love the fact that Sergeant Keroro made the list. He'd definitely be a great friend.

As for the discussion on Rei making the list, I'm a Rei fanboy myself, but I know for a fact that she wouldn't make that great of a friend. Sure, she looks good, but given her personality she really would make for a boring friend. But given her popularity, I'm not surprised that she made the list.

If I were to pick a cute anime girl to be one of my friends, I'd choose Belldandy. She's got such a bubbly personality. She would definitely be much better friend than Rei.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
The only kind of friend Rei would be is a "right hand girlfriend." Razz (or is that Asuka's job...)

Actually, most anime girls would make crappy friends; all the ones from boys' series are vapid wish-fulfillment projections and all the ones from girls' series are addled Ritalin-deprived case studies. You can't even hang out with a Miyazaki heroine without being accused of being a pedo. I can see why Minami from Touch was the only other girl on the list; she's the only one that's remotely normal.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
The only kind of friend Rei would be is a "right hand girlfriend." Razz (or is that Asuka's job...)

Seems like more of an Asuka thing to me ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RDespair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Actually, most anime girls would make crappy friends; all the ones from boys' series are vapid wish-fulfillment projections and all the ones from girls' series are addled Ritalin-deprived case studies. You can't even hang out with a Miyazaki heroine without being accused of being a pedo. I can see why Minami from Touch was the only other girl on the list; she's the only one that's remotely normal.

A certain very important female from Kino's Journey would make an awesome friend methinks... Smile

Many of the characters from Haibane Renmei would work well as friends also.

But yeah, other than those two series, I've got nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's Haruhi of Ouran Host Club, I think we could be great friends (but not as great as I would be with Renge). Then there's Utena... And I'd love to be friends with Benio from Haikara-san ga tooru, Eugenie from Gankutsuou, more recently Atoru from Ayakashi, and so on. There are quite a few anime girls who are not "Ritalin-deprived case studies" and would make awesome friends, at least for me (FYI, I'm female).
ZxSasukexZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
well for some werid strange reason i would like to be friends with Luffy well if i get caught he probably will save me but i probably will die within the week and if im lucky ill survive maybe a month or if im really lucky i wont die Very Happy
starcade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
All of the answers make sense except for Rei Ayanami. I can't imagine a worse person to be friends with. She'd be such a downer all the time, would never have fun when we went out, and would make a terrible conversationalist. That must have been a guy's pick, since I can't imagine any female wanting to go out on the town and be girls with Rei.

Well, they also picked Lum, so it sounds like do-ability is at the top of the list...

With Rei, once you wear one of her out, you get a replacement...
starcade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Patachu wrote:

Seems like more of an Asuka thing to me ....

Agreed. That's Asuka.

Impossibly hot for 12. Good grief, what is it with anime people that they make middle- and high-schoolers so darn hot? Pedophilia, anyone???
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
Impossibly hot for 12. Good grief, what is it with anime people that they make middle- and high-schoolers so darn hot? Pedophilia, anyone???
Nitpick: Asuka is 14; not 12.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Deleted. CRINGE.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
potassium wrote:
Cloe wrote:
All of the answers make sense except for Rei Ayanami. I can't imagine a worse person to be friends with. She'd be such a downer all the time, would never have fun when we went out, and would make a terrible conversationalist. That must have been a guy's pick, since I can't imagine any female wanting to go out on the town and be girls with Rei.

Maybe you didn't know, but there's a huge, huge following for Ayanami Rei, mostly among the male fanbase. In other words, a lot of guys think she's really hot. My guess is that was the reasoning behind that choice.

If I had a dime for every time I've read, "She is cute, that is why she is called Rei-chan."
I've never really understood the mass fanaticism over Rei...sure she's attractive in a way, but even on the "friends with benefits" route, her personality screams "cold fish." That's part of the reason why out of the main EVA female leads, she's third on my list behind Misato and Asuka. (And if secondary females were included, then there'd be others I'd take over her, such as Maya, Ritsuko, etc.) [quote=Actually, most anime girls would make crappy friends; all the ones from boys' series are vapid wish-fulfillment projections and all the ones from girls' series are addled Ritalin-deprived case studies.] I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree a little there...I'd say Love Hina's Kitsune would make a great platonic drinking buddy.

As for me, there are some guys I'd pick, like Kazuharu Fukuyama from Girls Bravo or that Hiroyuki guy from DearS -- now they could teach me the Ways of The Force, I mean "picking up chicks" or whatever you call it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
potassium wrote:
Cloe wrote:

Maybe you didn't know, but there's a huge, huge following for Ayanami Rei, mostly among the male fanbase. In other words, a lot of guys think she's really hot. My guess is that was the reasoning behind that choice.

If I had a dime for every time I've read, "She is cute, that is why she is called Rei-chan."
I've never really understood the mass fanaticism over Rei...sure she's attractive in a way, but even on the "friends with benefits" route, her personality screams "cold fish." That's part of the reason why out of the main EVA female leads, she's third on my list behind Misato and Asuka. (And if secondary females were included, then there'd be others I'd take over her, such as Maya, Ritsuko, etc.) [quote=Actually, most anime girls would make crappy friends; all the ones from boys' series are vapid wish-fulfillment projections and all the ones from girls' series are addled Ritalin-deprived case studies.] I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree a little there...I'd say Love Hina's Kitsune would make a great platonic drinking buddy.

As for me, there are some guys I'd pick, like Kazuharu Fukuyama from Girls Bravo or that Hiroyuki guy from DearS -- now they could teach me the Ways of The Force, I mean "picking up chicks" or whatever you call it.

I dunno if I'd call that Picking up chicks or being a lecherous pervert, especially in Fujuyama's case. I mean that elevator of his, common. Now the sex crazy teacher from DearS, there's a friend you can learn from Twisted Evil

If it's a drinking buddy there's also Tina from Ai Yori Aoishi. I can hardly remember a manga volume or tv episode without her drinking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4